Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Home Media Center Advice

Old 12-11-18, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Home Media Center Advice

I have been looking at making some kind of home media center, but do not want to spend a huge amount in doing so. I want to have a system that would preferably allow me to stream channels such as Netflix, Hulu, Amazon etc., play movies/TV from an external drive, and also play retro games (MAME, emulators).

I have been looking at Raspberry Pi 3-B units and whilst i don't have much experience with them they seem cheap and simple enough. I also saw on Amazon yesterday an Nvidia Shield TV.

I was just wondering how peoples experiences with both have been, if what i am asking for is limited in either (i am guessing the retro gaming with the Shield might be a problem), or if there is another type of setup that i should be considering.
Old 12-11-18, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Home Media Center Advice

I use an older Intel i3 windows box with a 128gb ssd boot drive and a 4TB mechanical drive
the machine was a recycle for me so I already owned it, just added the 4TB drive and called it media center

You do not need high power to play videos using VLC or to stream netflix (or a variety of websites), there are plenty of 'off lease' dell computers with i5 processors that can be had for $200 ish, maybe you need to add a larger drive if you want to store media, but nothing beats a PC as a media center machine, you can do anything/everything with it.

Some are small form factor if space is an issue. I am also surprised at how often I use it for just normal computer functions on a 60" screen (checking mail, or when I have a passing thought about something I want to look up would rather use the big screen than a phone)

Just a thought for you
Old 12-11-18, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Nvidia Shield

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GC8TjJkomo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvvssdqt3Yk

Last edited by RichC2; 12-11-18 at 09:24 AM.
Old 12-11-18, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've gone through many "tv boxes" and, in my opinion, the best one is the Nvidia Shield.

I mainly use it for Netflix, Hulu, YouTube TV, and Kodi (it plays files from a PC i have on my network). I also use it as a Plex server
Old 12-11-18, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well I ordered the Nvidia Shield. Overhwlemingly positive reviews and it sounds like its exactly what I want right now. I am canceling my cable subscription this month, so the box price covers literally one month of subscription. Cant beat that.