Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

I need a new computer... this process sucks!

Old 12-03-18, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I need a new computer... this process sucks!

My All-in-One is acting up after about 6 years. It's time for a new family computer. I don't need anything fancy but want to somewhat future proof so I'm thinking an i7 processor and a SSD. I don't game and only need it for surfing, kids homework (Office), email, etc.

I'll admit that I don't know much about computers these days but I know the All-in-One design suits us best.

Can anybody recommend me a website or brick & mortar to check out? Going straight to Dell, HP and Best Buy has left me confused when it comes to cross-referencing their products. Who do you trust?
Old 12-03-18, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: I need a new computer... this process sucks!

give a price range and roughly what you want, I am sure some of the IT folks that frequent here can help with deals

Do you want another all in one, a laptop maybe or just a normal desktop?
Size screen
power - do you game? or is this more of an office application type machine

Cyber Monday had a couple of good deals
I think the Dell outlet is having the deals this week

and I will preempt the - oh I bought a dell/hp/lenevo/etc/etc and it was crap don't buy one comments that I am sure are coming. The quality of the machine these days is based on a couple of points, one is the tier of manufacture you buy dell/hp/lenovo being tier 1, and companies like acer being a step down, but more of it has to do with price point, a $500 computer is a $500 computer with minor differences depending on the name brand, a $1000 computer will be better in most cases.

All manufacturers have failures and problems, its how (or if) they address them that matters. Some warranties are not worth the paper they are printed on, others are gold.
Old 12-03-18, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Considering your usage and the want of an all-in-one, have you considered a Mac? The iMac is probably the best all-in-one on the market.
Old 12-03-18, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't want a Mac... never been a fan and not willing to adapt to the differences at this point.

Regarding price, I'm fine with $1000, decent processor (I truly don't know if I need an i7 or if an i5 would suffice), would like 500gb SSD, 23" or larger screen, no gaming.
Old 12-03-18, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wouldnt rule out mac in this category the iMac rules. You can easily load and use windows using bootcamp if that is your preference. But for a 27" imac you are looking at over $2k. (I am partial I have a ~2010 imac that is still running strong)

Otherwise I would head to best buy, fry's, microcenter, etc and look around at the Dell, HP, Lenova offerings. To get an SSD it looks like most are above your price range.

For your use an i5 sounds like plenty of HP. However the SSD's appear to be paired with the i7's.
Old 12-03-18, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thank you... does an SSD make that big of a difference? I hear it promotes shorter loading times and won't fail (due to no moving parts)... but I back up the important stuff anyways.
Old 12-03-18, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

An SSD is a huge improvement but only if you're loading large files (like gaming or video editing). For simple things like spreadsheets and word docs, a normal HDD is just fine.
Old 12-03-18, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yea, SSD makes a huge difference. The biggest overall, imo, short of a low RAM machine being updated. This includes seemingly docile things, like loading Excel.

I haven't used an All in One in a while, as such I'd just push you toward a mini tower + nice monitor. Something with a 128 gb or 256 gb SSD with a Secondary 1 - 2 tb hdd. Unless you're planning to edit 4k video, I honestly find modern (8th gen+) core i3s to be more than sufficient. (Mostly AIOs often have ridiculous upcharges for nothing.)

Edit: this AIO looks solid to me: https://m.newegg.com/products/9SIADYY81Y1304

Last edited by RichC2; 12-03-18 at 03:58 PM.
Old 12-03-18, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Boot times are much faster with an SSD.

Depending how you use your system, that may or may not be significant.

Although I leave my PC on 24/7, when I do have to reboot, it takes a lot of pain out of the process. Perhaps I'm just impatient.

I would add that I would still recommend having a hdd for storage, particularly if you store media.
Old 12-03-18, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I recently got a Dell 14" laptop with i7 and 256 SSD and 1 TB HD, but I do edit video. $800 before taxes.

If you want to shop in person, Costco has a decent selection of laptops and maybe a desktop or two, but I don't think it's very hands-on. Best Buy might be better for that.
Old 12-03-18, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Code : holidaysavings takes 50% off at dell outlet now

This machine is about $330

Dell OptiPlex 9030 AIO
System Identifier: 174711

$639.00
Processor: Intel Core i7 Quad (i7-4790S) 3.20 GHz
Memory: 8 GB
Hard Drive: 256 GB
Cosmetic Grade: A
Chassis: All-In-One

Its the only one left

https://www.dellrefurbished.com/desk...io-174711.html

I would strongly advise to upgrade it to win10 the moment you get it, you can find discount license on ebay

Assuming you don't buy this one
So are you technical at all? can you remove a mechanical drive and install an SSD for the right price?
and yes you want an SSD, don't touch anything without one these days
Old 12-03-18, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

^ Good advice, and even I steadfastly would upgrade to Win10 from 8.1 right away.

The biggest improvement will manifest from going to an SSD from a mechanical drive. Even an old Core 2 Duo system can be made peppy by eliminating the mechanical hard drive, putting in an SSD, and upgrading memory to at least 8 GB.

For non-gaming use, the i3 vs i5 vs i7 is almost academic unless you're doing video editing and / or rendering or transcoding.

$330 is an excellent buy. DO IT!
Old 12-04-18, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This is all great feedback! Thanks, everyone!
Old 12-04-18, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I dislike all-in-ones, because of the PC breaks or gets old, you lose the monitor as well, and vice-versa.

That said, I really like the Lenovo ThinkCentre Tiny-in-One. It's basically a modular all-in-one, where a Lenovo Tiny PC docks into the monitor. So you can swap out the PC while keeping the monitor, or vice-versa.

Lenovo has some Tiny PCs in their Outlet, starting at $370:
https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/outletu...iny&uq=&text=#

Best Buy looks to have the best deal on the 23.8" monitor, for $210:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-...?skuId=6178802

That said, that $330 Dell deal is really good, it's cheap enough I wouldn't feel bad losing the monitor when the PC fails.

As for upgrading Windows 8.1 to 10, I've found that if you do a "custom" install of Windows 10 on a PC with a Windows 8 OEM license, it still activates Windows 10, so no need to buy a separate license. I wouldn't recommend buying a "discount" license on eBay anyway, as there's a strong chance it's pirated/"non-genuine" in some way, and even if it initially activates, the "non-genuine" alert my pop up later down the line, long after the eBay/paypal return/refund period.
Old 12-04-18, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^^ That is actually really cool. Clever design.

Best Buy has an AMD Ryzen AIO that is VR ready. I'm not a huge VR fan but it'd be cool if we took the plunge on PC. It's a bit more than I want to spend but I might just pull the trigger.

So now I'm torn between the Ryzen and this tiny computer.
Old 12-04-18, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

fwiw I have used dozens of Windows keys off ebay sellers, never had one issue, but YMMV I do understand there is a risk, but for $5 I will take that risk all day long

I have been pretty impressed with the Ryzen so far, I am really an Intel guy, but I do own a Ryzen out of curiosity (there is nothing like real world experience over reading others reviews).

Does the Ryzen AIO you are looking at have an SSD?
Old 12-04-18, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
^^ That is actually really cool. Clever design.

Best Buy has an AMD Ryzen AIO that is VR ready. I'm not a huge VR fan but it'd be cool if we took the plunge on PC. It's a bit more than I want to spend but I might just pull the trigger.

So now I'm torn between the Ryzen and this tiny computer.
Originally Posted by 4KRG View Post
I have been pretty impressed with the Ryzen so far, I am really an Intel guy, but I do own a Ryzen out of curiosity (there is nothing like real world experience over reading others reviews).

Does the Ryzen AIO you are looking at have an SSD?
Yeah, i'm also curious who makes the Ryzen based PC that you're looking at and what the rest of the specs are. "VR Ready" probably doesn't mean much other then hitting some of the minimum requirements of an Oculus or Vive, but a search on Best Buy's website might be this Dell?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-in...?skuId=6146004

Probably overkill and pricier then is necessary given the description of what the PC will actually be used for though.

I built a Ryzen 7 PC last year for myself, it was a nice upgrade from an old i5-2500k and i'm digging it's performance quite a bit.

Last edited by fumanstan; 12-04-18 at 12:21 PM.
Old 12-04-18, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^^ Yes, that's it. I've been wanting to pulling the trigger on VR but never had a PC capable. The one at Best Buy, while not the budget I was hoping for, meets my wish-list. The wife might have a mini-stroke but I think she'll be ok with it.
Old 12-04-18, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post

Lenovo has some Tiny PCs in their Outlet, starting at $370:
https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/outletu...iny&uq=&text=#
This is interesting because I have been thinking after my huge desktop dies, I'm done with bulky desktops. Was thinking yesterday how cool a tiny pc must be. First time looking at these Lenovo's and it's exactly what I had in mind! I might pull the trigger on one with an SSD drive.

Thanks for the info.
Old 12-04-18, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

We use those quite frequently at work, I have zero complaints with them.
Old 12-05-18, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So I applied for the Best Buy card, got my financing set up, go to check out and.... that computer is no longer available to ship. There are none within 250 miles of me either.

I'm back to the tiny pcs... stupid question - those have wireless LAN, correct? If I did go this route, can I do VR on it (assuming 16 GB and an i5 processor)? Or is that just pushing the envelope too far? What features should / must be present to run VR?

Edit: My journey is over. I went with the Dell G7 15" gaming laptop. I added a docking station and decent Dell monitor. This was a good solution for my family as we often need a laptop in the evening and I can still run VR... eventually.

Thanks for all the great advice in this thread!

Last edited by Rob V; 12-05-18 at 08:09 AM.
Old 12-05-18, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Good pick. I have the 7577 w/ 1060 MaxQ which is the precursor to the G7. Nice rig, glad they got rid of the red keyboard.
Old 12-05-18, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Amazon still has that Dell Ryzen AIO for the same price Best Buy had, $1,550.99:
Amazon Amazon

Also from Dell directly, for less, currently $1,499.99
https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell...io/fdcwthn277s
Old 12-06-18, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So as I fire up my new laptop this evening I realize my Office software is on a disc... my laptop doesn't have a drive. Is there an efficient way to get Office onto my machine without having to buy a yearly subscription?
Speaking of which, are yearly subs the new thing? We use Office quite a bit... I'd hate to have to keep paying over and over for it.
Old 12-06-18, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If your old all in one can still read the CD there are possibilities
you can use it to copy the disc to a USB drive
or use it to share out the CD and copy the files over your network to the new PC

You are better off with a laptop and dock over an AIO ,so good choice

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.