Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Need a good vlogging and editing laptop/tablet

Old 12-01-18, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Need a good vlogging and editing laptop/tablet

I'm searching for a good laptop or tablet (or, I guess, 2 in 1) that is perfect for vlogging like on Youtube and is good with editing pictures and making art. My friend has wanted to start a vlog and loves editing photos, so wanted to surprise her with a good laptop/tablet. Maybe even an Apple laptop, but wanted to come on here first to see which ones are the best to use and then see what kind of deal I can get. I am kind of leaning towards Apple because I know they don't get a lot of viruses and last a while, but I have heard HP has some good ones as well. Thanks!
Old 12-02-18, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Need a good vlogging and editing laptop/tablet

What kind of computer is your friend used to, Mac or Windows? I'd get her the one she's used to.

What type of vlogging will be done? Just basic talking to a camera, or will she be playing video games?
Old 12-02-18, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

my daughter wants the same thing, but she’s 12 so we are looking for something under 500.

As for the OP, mac is best for the art stuff imo, but probably not necessary for vlogging? I now only like rather than love them since it seems like they’re more focused on planned obsolescence.

The Microsoft Surface line seems nice ...
Old 12-07-18, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Kurt D View Post
my daughter wants the same thing, but she’s 12 so we are looking for something under 500.... The Microsoft Surface line seems nice ...
The only Surface that's under $500 is the Surface Go, and that's pretty underpowered in it's basic configuration. It's fine for basic tasks, but low power CPU, little storage space and RAM, and a small screen wouldn't make it great for video editing, I would think. You'd maybe be ok with the model with 8GB of RAM, but that's up to $550, and you still need to buy the keyboard separately.

Here's a review showing the 8GB RAM Surface Go being used for video editing:

And I mentioned video game blogging in my previous post because game blogs/streams require a lot more resources than just speaking to a camera, because it's basically simultaneously playing the game and talking to the camera.

Techbargains lists some current deals:
https://www.techbargains.com/categor...puters/laptops

Dell Refurbished looks to have some good coupon deals right now, like Extra $400 off any Dell Latitude E7470 Laptop plus free ground shipping.
https://www.dellrefurbished.com/dell-coupons

Edit: BTW, for basic video/photo editing, I'd recommend the Photoshop/Premiere Elements combo package. It's enough to start off with.
Old 12-08-18, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No video games at all. Though, maybe for her kids? But for her, won't be video gaming and more talking into the camera. And will be her first laptop/tablet to do this type of stuff. I've heard that the Macbook Pro is one of the best for video editing, but the Surface is one of the best for art and photos.
Old 12-08-18, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
The only Surface that's under $500 is the Surface Go, and that's pretty underpowered in it's basic configuration. It's fine for basic tasks, but low power CPU, little storage space and RAM, and a small screen wouldn't make it great for video editing, I would think. You'd maybe be ok with the model with 8GB of RAM, but that's up to $550, and you still need to buy the keyboard separately.

Here's a review showing the 8GB RAM Surface Go being used for video editing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JDE7ZPTa1E

And I mentioned video game blogging in my previous post because game blogs/streams require a lot more resources than just speaking to a camera, because it's basically simultaneously playing the game and talking to the camera.

Techbargains lists some current deals:
https://www.techbargains.com/categor...puters/laptops

Dell Refurbished looks to have some good coupon deals right now, like Extra $400 off any Dell Latitude E7470 Laptop plus free ground shipping.
https://www.dellrefurbished.com/dell-coupons

Edit: BTW, for basic video/photo editing, I'd recommend the Photoshop/Premiere Elements combo package. It's enough to start off with.
We decided against the Surface Go, although I still think it’s nifty. She wants a small form factor, though, so choices are limited.
Now, back to the OP!
Old 12-11-18, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Best Buy Doorbuster, today only:

Dell - Inspiron 15.6" Touch-Screen Laptop - Intel Core i5 - 8GB Memory - 256GB Solid State Drive - Black - $399
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-in...lack/6299821.p