Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Legit online site to buy Windows 7?

Old 11-05-18, 08:23 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Legit online site to buy Windows 7?

Apparently my first try was a scam. Anyone know a legit online site that I can just buy, hopefully cheap and get a key sent through email for Windows 7?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-06-18, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Legit online site to buy Windows 7?

My recommendation would be: don't buy Windows 7 unless you're never going to put the PC on the internet. Microsoft is going to stop issuing security updates for it in 2020.

Buy Windows 10. Or better yet - install a user-friendly version of Linux like Linux Mint for free.
Old 11-06-18, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Question regarding Linux as someone who never used it. Is it easy to use like Windows meaning all GUI and no command line nonsense? I suffer from psoriatic arthritis so I prefer to just use a mouse with clicks as much as possible. Every time I use a keyboard including as I am typing this, I am in pain.

Was just curious, I know when I looked into in a LONG time ago, it wasn't as simple as Windows.
Old 11-06-18, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Unclejosh View Post
Question regarding Linux as someone who never used it. Is it easy to use like Windows meaning all GUI and no command line nonsense? I suffer from psoriatic arthritis so I prefer to just use a mouse with clicks as much as possible. Every time I use a keyboard including as I am typing this, I am in pain.

Was just curious, I know when I looked into in a LONG time ago, it wasn't as simple as Windows.
There are plenty of Linux distros that have very user-friendly GUIs and rarely, if ever, require using the command line, depending on your usage. There is still a learning curve because things don't work exactly like Windows, but it's not bad. The nice thing is, you can try them out for free by running a "live" version on a thumb drive.

I dual-boot my laptop with Windows 10 and a Linux distro called PureOS, but I only boot into Windows when necessary, which is increasingly rare these days.

Some popular distros you could try are Linux Mint or Ubuntu (which is what Linux Mint is based on).
Old 11-06-18, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Awesome thanks!!
Old 11-06-18, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Unclejosh View Post
Awesome thanks!!
No problem. You may try one of them and find it's still not for you, which would be totally understandable. Linux has come a long way in the user-friendliness department, but it can still be quirky and more oriented toward tech-minded users for some things.
Old 11-06-18, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Agreed that you shouldn't be buying Windows 7, even if someone like zyzzle here might tell you otherwise.

I've used something like SCDKey to buy a Windows 10 license and it worked fine, not sure how legitimate that site is though.
Old 11-06-18, 06:17 PM

Ok, so if I upgrade to 10, I won’t lose anything currently on pc, right? Will all my settings and programs be fine? And nothing will happen to iTunes, right? What will happen to my stored emails? Also, this can be used on a 32bit pc? Thanks fum.
Old 11-06-18, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
Ok, so if I upgrade to 10, I won’t lose anything currently on pc, right? Will all my settings and programs be fine? And nothing will happen to iTunes, right? What will happen to my stored emails? Also, this can be used on a 32bit pc? Thanks fum.
What are you upgrading from? If you're upgrading from Windows 7 or 8.1, you can do an in-place upgrade that will bring over all your files, programs, and settings.

If you're upgrading from Windows XP or Vista, it will do a new install and move your old Windows install, and all the programs, settings, and user files, to a Windows.OLD directory.
Old 11-06-18, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
What are you upgrading from? If you're upgrading from Windows 7 or 8.1, you can do an in-place upgrade that will bring over all your files, programs, and settings.

If you're upgrading from Windows XP or Vista, it will do a new install and move your old Windows install, and all the programs, settings, and user files, to a Windows.OLD directory.
Yes, it is Vista. What do you mean move? Will I have my emails, programs, internet favorites and such?
Old 11-06-18, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, it is Vista. What do you mean move? Will I have my emails, programs, internet favorites and such?
Move: to put the file/folders into a different folder/drive. In this case it moves them to Windows.OLD

If you run the Windows 10 custom install on a drive partition that already has Windows, Program Files, and Users folders, it will move all that to a Windows.OLD folder, so it can create new folders with those names for the new Windows 10 install.

There's a Recover Personal Files Tool that pulls personal files out of the folder:
https://www.thewindowsclub.com/retri...lder-windows-8

Your programs won't be installed on the new Windows 10 installation. Custom settings won't be set. Any program-specific user data won't be in the new install, although you may be able to pull it out of the Windows.OLD folder after looking up program-specific instructions. It's essentially a new install of Windows 10 on the drive, without destroying any old files, just moving them out of the way. That said, I'd recommend running a backup before doing this on the same drive that had Vista and your programs/files on it.

Or, just buy a new PC. There's cheap refurbished PCs that come with Windows 10 that are probably better than what you're running Vista on, and cost less than buying Windows 10 on its own.

For example, this refurbished HP Pro 6200, with an Intel Core i3 3100 MHz CPU, 250GB SATA HDDD, 4GB RAM, DVD ROM drive, and Windows 10 Pro 64-bit for $70 shipped:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9SIA5HA47Z0202
Old 11-07-18, 07:00 AM

ok, thanks. what about iTunes and all my music and emails?
Old 11-07-18, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

ok, thanks. what about iTunes and all my music and emails?
For the Windows 10 upgrade, iTunes will be uninstalled, music will be moved to Windows.OLD. I don't know about your emails, it depends entirely on what email service you use and what email client you use with it.
Old 11-07-18, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
For the Windows 10 upgrade, iTunes will be uninstalled, music will be moved to Windows.OLD. I don't know about your emails, it depends entirely on what email service you use and what email client you use with it.
so if i click on that Windows.old file, everything will upload and be back like it was? not lose my music and such and I use Windows Mail....
Old 11-07-18, 10:14 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

OldBoy, you really shouldn't be doing this task yourself. Take it to best buy or micro center and have them do all of this for you.
I say this with the utmost love and respect: You're going to fuck it up, and you're not going to be happy about it. Just take it somewhere, tell them EVERYTHING you want to keep, and let them do it.
Old 11-07-18, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

oldboy couple of thoughts for you

You should have all your data backed up anyway, right? Buy a USB drive, so cheap these days there is no reason not to. Copy all the things you are worried about to it before you do anything.

I have purchased licenses off ebay, just search, paypal will protect your purchase
You have OEM keys on ebay that are legit depending on how you read the MS OEM agreement.
If an OEM sells you hardware, they can also sell you a discounted OEM license
no one says that hardware has to be functional
Usually in those OEM key sales, it is implied that they sell you a motherboard (that is broken and will not ship, fine print) in order to also sell you a $10 license

Agree or disagree, I don't care, you can buy them on ebay and they work

another thought is for you to just buy a new hard drive (they are cheap these days too)
put win 10 on the new hard drive, put your old hard drive in a USB enclosure and copy from it what you want/need, put it in the shelf as an archive until you are happy you have everything.

Any way you look at this it will cost you money. Buying a USB drive is cheaper than hiring best buy
Old 11-07-18, 12:10 PM

I have like a 1 terabyte backup drive. I will back it up there, but I have installed from old installations before and never had a problem. I don’t mind paying for 10, I just don’t want to lose everything and most important my songs in iTunes to dl to phone, which is whole point of upgrading since iTunes doesn’t support older windows any longer. The pc itself, while old, is fine. Never an issue...
Old 11-07-18, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If he wants to keep his setting, e-mails and programs as is isn't his only option to upgrade to 7 then 10? What e-mail program are you using?
Old 11-07-18, 04:41 PM

It's called Windows Mail.
Old 11-07-18, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's called Windows Mail.
I think that is replaced by Mail in Windows 10. You should be able to import messages but the program is different that Windows Mail.
Old 11-07-18, 05:28 PM

That’s fine. Thanks. One more question...if I upgrade to anything, 7 or 10 and I created a restore point prior, can I just go back to original Vista and such if it doesn’t work out?
Old 11-07-18, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
OldBoy, you really shouldn't be doing this task yourself. Take it to best buy or micro center and have them do all of this for you.
I say this with the utmost love and respect: You're going to fuck it up, and you're not going to be happy about it. Just take it somewhere, tell them EVERYTHING you want to keep, and let them do it.

I'd definitely suggest a service or someone tech savvy to handle backing up your existing data and doing the upgrade.
Old 11-07-18, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

In the past, didn’t Microsoft sell old versions of Windows?
Old 11-07-18, 08:37 PM

One more question...if I upgrade to anything, 7 or 10 and I created a restore point prior, can I just go back to original Vista and such if it doesn’t work out?
Anyone?
Old 11-07-18, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That’s fine. Thanks. One more question...if I upgrade to anything, 7 or 10 and I created a restore point prior, can I just go back to original Vista and such if it doesn’t work out?
Not via a restore point, no.

Reverting Windows 7 back is a mess, if it's at all possible, and involves a lot of techinical steps.

Windows 10 will easily revert back to Windows 7 or 8.1 after an upgrade, but not from Vista.

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/dow...ndows-version/
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...windows-instal

i'd say get a new computer, or at least do what 4KRG suggested and get a different blank harddrive and install Windows 10 on that. That way if anything goes wrong you have either the original PC to go back to, or the original drive with the Vista install still on it.

For your email, you're using Windows Mail, but what email service are you using? Most emails services save all the emails on the server end nowadays.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.