Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Considering Buying Another iPod Nano (5th Generation)--Am I Being Foolish?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-29-18, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think after 8.5 years of faithful service, my iPod nano (5th generation) is on its last legs. My current MacBook Pro is nearly a decade old and I don't think it can accept a newer iPod. Anyway, I'm considering buying a new nano (5th generation) from a reputable seller on eBay.

My question: will the battery of a new Nano (5th generation) be any good after all these years, or am I just throwing my money away?

[Please note: before anyone says "get a newer computer" and/or iPhone I need to make the requisite: "I'm not made of money" statement.]
Old 10-29-18, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Considering Buying Another iPod Nano (5th Generation)--Am I Being Foolish?

If you want a new 5th gen Nano, you’ll end up paying out the ass for it. Something to consider since you’re not made out of money.

A brand new Nano, presumably still sealed, is pretty much a collectible at this point. You’re probably looking at a minimum of several hundred dollars for an 8/16GB piece of obsolete technology.

I have no clue about the battery situation, though my initial instinct says that a Lithium ion battery sitting unused for a decade probably isn’t a good thing.
Old 10-29-18, 10:40 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Generally a lithium-ion has decent battery up to 4 years or 400 charging cycles. Life when idle depends on how the battery was maintained. Still, given that the 5th gen is around 8 years old, I wouldn't count on much life left. If I were you I would get a really low-end but new Android phone, and use it strictly as a music device.
Old 10-30-18, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks.

For the record my operating system on my Mac is 10.6.8 and my iTunes is 11.4. What's the "youngest" iPod I could get for this?

Also, if I got an Android phone, would it work without getting a phone plan? I don't know this stuff. I'm still have a novice knowledge of these things.
Old 10-30-18, 02:21 PM

My 2009 MacPro works just fine with a latest and greatest (iPhone XS) iOS device.

Prices are another question, but going all the way back to an iPhone 5S every on will work with the current iOS 12. Thus getting an older used iPhone will still give you something more useful than an iPod nano.
Old 10-30-18, 02:33 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by PatD View Post
Also, if I got an Android phone, would it work without getting a phone plan? I don't know this stuff. I'm still have a novice knowledge of these things.
Yes, phones do work without a phone plan. If your music is on iTunes and you are not very technical, a Mac device might be easier, but you have more cheaper options if you go with Android.
Old 10-31-18, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You can get a refurb iPod Touch from Apple for $129-139.
Old 11-01-18, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Psi View Post
Yes, phones do work without a phone plan...
Sometimes they work a little too well without a phone plan, or even SIM installed. They'll still call 911, something parents who gave their kids their old phone to play with have discovered the hard way.
Old 11-01-18, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
If you want a new 5th gen Nano, youíll end up paying out the ass for it. Something to consider since youíre not made out of money.
In all fairness to PatD, those who are not made of money dispense what little money they do have through the ass anyway, so that's to be expected.
Old 11-02-18, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You can get a refurb iPod Touch from Apple for $129-139.
Do you know if and iPod Touch can work with my Operating System? It's Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and the iTunes is 11.4 (that's as far as it can be updated). Thank you.
Old 11-03-18, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Do you know if and iPod Touch can work with my Operating System? It's Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and the iTunes is 11.4 (that's as far as it can be updated). Thank you.
Sorry. Canít help you there. Iím not a Mac user. I would assume compatability would be available on the web, if not the Apple website. (Though Apple seems to scrub their site of things as soon as theyíre outdated and no longer in production.)
Old 11-04-18, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You'd need a 5th generation iPod Touch. The current, 6th gen iPod Touch requires a newer version of iTunes to sync.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_iTunes#Devices

However, you don't necessarily have to sync an iPod Touch to your iTunes to play music. All the streaming music services work, and many let you download music to play while offline. Barring that, you could subscribe to iTunes Music match for $25/year, and upload all your music on your Mac to the cloud, then download what you want to your iPod Touch.
https://www.imore.com/apple-music-vs...ats-difference
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204146
Old 11-04-18, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Apple sells refurbed 5th gen Touches. They currently have a 64gb silver and 64gb yellow for $169.

I don’t know why Apple bothers with making colored refurbs; they should all have their own unique configuration like a silver back and black bezel. Maybe they want to blow out the less popular colors like that hideous yellow.
Old 11-10-18, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Apple sells refurbed 5th gen Touches. They currently have a 64gb silver and 64gb yellow for $169.

I donít know why Apple bothers with making colored refurbs; they should all have their own unique configuration like a silver back and black bezel. Maybe they want to blow out the less popular colors like that hideous yellow.
Do you know if 5th gen Touches can be used with iTunes 11.4? That's the last update on my 2009 MacBook Pro.
Old 11-10-18, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Do you know if 5th gen Touches can be used with iTunes 11.4? That's the last update on my 2009 MacBook Pro.
Dude, I already answered this question, two posts above yours.
Old 11-17-18, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The iPod Touch 5th generation (refurbished) is completely sold out on Apple. Ebay is probably too sketchy a place and Amazon doesn't have the 64gb 5th generation. Help!
Old 11-17-18, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

eBay is fine, as long as you find a reputable seller. One with a high score that's been there a long time.

This seller has a used 64GB in white for $130:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-iPod-...s/132263440897

Amazon also has listings from 3rd party sellers for used/refurbished ones, starting at $160:
Amazon Amazon

However, to go on a tangent, maybe you'd be better served upgrading your laptop. Snow Leopard 10.6.8 is horribly out of date, and if you're using it as you main PC, you're going to get in trouble with malware and the like. If you can't afford a new computer after 9 years, at least install Windows 10 in Boot Camp. This will let you run an up-to-date OS that ran run the latest iTunes, and thus let you use an iPod Touch 6
https://antirandom.com/2017/01/12/ru...r-macbook-pro/
https://www.techrepublic.com/article...upported-macs/
Old 11-17-18, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
eBay is fine, as long as you find a reputable seller. One with a high score that's been there a long time.

This seller has a used 64GB in white for $130:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-iPod-...s/132263440897

Amazon also has listings from 3rd party sellers for used/refurbished ones, starting at $160:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...furbished=true

However, to go on a tangent, maybe you'd be better served upgrading your laptop. Snow Leopard 10.6.8 is horribly out of date, and if you're using it as you main PC, you're going to get in trouble with malware and the like. If you can't afford a new computer after 9 years, at least install Windows 10 in Boot Camp. This will let you run an up-to-date OS that ran run the latest iTunes, and thus let you use an iPod Touch 6
https://antirandom.com/2017/01/12/ru...r-macbook-pro/
https://www.techrepublic.com/article...upported-macs/
Thanks!