Reload this Page >

Old tech (computers, devices, video game tech etc.) that you're still using

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-10-18, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16883113141

This is my old tech that I'm somehow still using.

Gateway computer SX2801 from 2010. It still works.

A computer that's about 8 years old is surprising that it still functions. I'm sure there are way better and much faster desktop PC's out there, but as long as this still boots up, I'm using it.

What about the rest of you?

I also have an IPad Air 2 and I know those are no longer being produced. But I don't think I will upgrade unless it breaks. Plus, it has 128 GB of memory. It's not really that old either. I think I got it in 2014 or 2015.
Old 10-10-18, 09:15 PM
Premium Member

Re: Old tech (computers, devices, video game tech etc.) that you're still using

I have an Atari 2600 and a Coleco Telstar console hooked up to a TV (and a Commodore 64). Not actively used, but they do get messed with a couple times a month.
Old 10-10-18, 09:18 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd be using my 120gb ipod if it didn't die and Apple sucks.
Old 10-10-18, 09:26 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm still using a computer I orginally built for Windows XP (just so you know about how old we're talking here), but have since upgraded enough components to run Windows 7. While it's slow navigating the internet (well, that and a 7mb U-verse connection), it's still kicking along. I need to upgrade to at least an i5 (or better yet an i7) processor but that's going to involve more components than I can afford right now.

So, yeah, I'm still using old tech.
Old 10-10-18, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Great question...

I still use several MS-DOS based PCs which I assembled from parts in the 1990s. In case anyone remembers, there were THOUSANDS of great utilities and games written in the DOS days which simply don't work in Win 7/ Win 10 or MacOS. That software lives on in my DOS systems, and it is fast, mostly still relevant, and just as great today as it was back in the day. I still use it on an almost-daily basis. Can't beat an old Infocom game once in a while.

Still have Apple II, Colecovision, and woody Atari 2600 systems which are all still functional, but I don't use them on a daily basis. The current emulators do a great job of making those machines "come back to life" on a modern system.

Still use regular push-button landline phones, flip clocks, nixie calculators, LED watches, and my Voxclock from 1981 still works and its electronic voice still sounds as cool to me as it did when I purchased it in 1981.

These old and venerable devices still serve as useful place in my life. How much of today's tech junk will still be functional and usable 35 years into the future? It's a testament to HIGH-QUALITY components being used back in the day...
Old 10-10-18, 10:37 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't really use it anymore but I still have a working HP 32B II scientific calculator. I like RPN and hate using TI and Casio calculators for their regular logic. Nowadays you can get RPN easily from a calculator app.

And it's not high technology, but I still have an ink Parker pen which I use occasionally to sign things.
Old 10-11-18, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have several old video games systems (Atari 2600, NES, N64, Wii) that are hooked up to a CRT TV in the basement. I don't play them much, but they are always a hit with company and good for the occasional diversion.

As an electronic music hobbyist, I have several old analog drum machines, effects pedals, and a pair of Technics SL-1200 mkIIs that are over 10 years old.

Otherwise most of my tech is pretty current.
Old 10-11-18, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I still use my launch day PS2 fairly often. No idea how the thing is still working but it's been a trooper.
Old 10-11-18, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I still pretty regularly use my Nintendo DS Lite. Mostly for playing GameBoy Advance titles. I use other older consoles once in a while too. My phone is a bit older (iPhone 5s) but I donít really consider it old technology.
Old 10-11-18, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My Pioneer laserdisc player and my Technics cassette player. Both still get mild useage once or twice a month.
Old 10-11-18, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by TGM View Post
Mine is still hooked up to a very old alarm clock and I use it every weekday. I'm tempted to resynch it with my computer to add new music as its probably been 8 years or so since I did that. My wife and I love Tom Petty and its been on his playlist kinda forever. Would like to add the albums since Mojo but hate to lose the play count when the device sees its synching with a new itunes library. #firstWorldProblems
Old 10-11-18, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If the HDD shit the bed, and you still want to use the your old iPod, you can get adapters that let you open up your old iPod and replace the HDD with an SD card.

Tarkan has a good reputation... https://www.iflash.xyz/store/
Old 10-11-18, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
A computer that's about 8 years old is surprising that it still functions. I'm sure there are way better and much faster desktop PC's out there, but as long as this still boots up, I'm using it.

What about the rest of you?
Still using my iPad Air I got in 2013/2014. Itís about five years old and the battery still seems to hold a decent charge; it will run between six and ten hours on a full charge, which seems pretty impressive since Iíve used it daily for about five years.

I also still have my old Dell Studio 1555. I replaced the hard drive with a SSD a while back, and it runs pretty damned fast now. It fully boots in about two minutes, whete it took what seemed like about ten before. Still running Windows 7 because I wanted to keep 7 on one machine.

Iím a bit of a luddite and will use my old hardware for as long as it holds up. Iíd rather use my old comfortable stuff Iím familiar with than get something shiny and new.
Old 10-11-18, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I have an Ipad III (I think that's what it's called) and an Ipad air. The air actually has a ghosting effect on it but it's still usable, and I've seen no reason to upgrade yet. My kids still use an old ipad mini but it definitely doesn't run well. I also have an ipad one that is almost but not quite useless.

I reclaimed a dell desktop that has to be like 15 years old and put Linux on it for my young kids to play on.

It's not that old but I still have my PS2 hooked up because it's a better media player than the newer systems. It is the primary Blu ray player in my house.
Old 10-11-18, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Flash memory and new battery and it is like new with no HDD to worry about. My 30gb just died and I am about to upgrade it to 64-128gb. My car does not read my 160gb ipod but does the older series.
Old 10-11-18, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My windows XP desktop just died so I had to get a new w10 machine. I have a 32" CRT TV in the basement that I use occasionally. My 360 is still connected to my TV but doesn't get online anymore so I rarely use it. My PS3 is still my main media device, though. I know, last gen isn't that old.
Old 10-11-18, 05:09 PM

Forgot to mention I still have my old Pioneer 704 LD player, which works, and which I still use to play audio CDs. Its excellent quality DAC is second-to-none. Haven't played a LD on it in years, though, it still does work with them, however, and I've got around 20 LD sets (whittled down from some 250 LDs back in the day). Irreplaceable titles like the Complete Tex Avery collection, complete Tom Jerry collection, Star Wars original editions, and other gems.
Old 10-11-18, 05:12 PM

I've been trying to decide what to do with my Dell XPS-X8500 desktop tower that I picked up in November, 2012. I really, really like this machine. The tower looks sharp, has USB 3.0, three HDD slots that I daisy-chained together, and two optical drives with a DVD-RW and a Blu-ray. Plenty of slots in the back, too, including for a TV tuner card and it still has the Windows Media Center for TV. Running on an Intel i7-3770 with Windows 10 and Office 2010, which is exactly what I need. I'm used to the most up-to-date Windows and Office via my work laptop so while I was resistant to upgrading, I'm open to it now even though I'm happy with 10/2010. I really like all of this, but...

It's getting slow. Sometimes, typing won't show up for a few seconds when writing, which is no fun for assignments. It has 12MB or 16MB of memory, I forget which, and it can go up to 32MB. Trying to decide if spending a few hundred bucks on bumping up the memory would help it last a few more years. Or if it's simply on its way out. Thing is, I'm not sure we can afford a new tower and I haven't been impressed with what's out there at least in terms of cosmetics. And while a new machine is certainly faster and better than what I have now, I'm trying to decide if $700-$850 is what I need. And yeah, I'm a desktop tower guy. Work handles the laptop end of things.

Thoughts on what to do with this one? Is a memory upgrade going to solve all my problems or is that just a money sink that ultimately doesn't do what I need it to do?
Old 10-11-18, 05:59 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^ Oftentimes you can regain the equivalent of a brand new computer just by reformatting the hard drive and reinstalling Windows from scratch. It's a lot of work, but I've done it on mine every 2 or 3 years because mine will get bogged down with crap and get slower than I know it's capable of. Cleaning up the crap helps, but the only real way to regain that brand new feel is to basically start over. Save all your important docs/pics/music/videos on external media, make sure you have all your drivers handy, wipe the drive and reinstall everything from scratch. You'd be surprised at the improvement.
Old 10-11-18, 06:18 PM

Hmm, that's an interesting idea. I've been using the larger of my extra HDD as my automatic system backup and my other extra HDD for media backups, so I can take those out and do the whole reboot with the primary HDD. Would upping the memory help, too, or can we save a few hundred and just invest the time and energy in the reboot?

Also, will I still be able to use Windows 10 and Office 2010 or will it magically disappear?
Old 10-11-18, 08:48 PM

Or, if you do not want to re-install Windows to a virgin state on that old HD (really the best way to speed it up), simply buy an SSD -- you can get a good 500 GB Samsung drive for ~$80 now -- and clone the existing mechanical drive onto the new SSD.

Ditch the old HD, and I guarantee your system will feel A LOT more speedy after the switch to SSD.
Old 10-11-18, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Or, if you do not want to re-install Windows to a virgin state on that old HD (really the best way to speed it up), simply buy an SSD -- you can get a good 500 GB Samsung drive for ~$80 now -- and clone the existing mechanical drive onto the new SSD.

Ditch the old HD, and I guarantee your system will feel A LOT more speedy after the switch to SSD.
Huh. Interesting. I've heard of this but figured it wasn't for a PC. Watched a video showing the brackets so it fits. Should my internal backup HDDs become SSD to speed things up, too.
Old 10-12-18, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
If the HDD shit the bed, and you still want to use the your old iPod, you can get adapters that let you open up your old iPod and replace the HDD with an SD card.

Tarkan has a good reputation... https://www.iflash.xyz/store/

I upgraded my 160gb to a 512gb using Tarkan's 4-slot micro sd board. I get stuck in a weird boot loop if I get over about 320 gigs used. I discussed this with Tarkan, who wasn't sure what the cause was. He gave me a handful of steps to try to get through it, but I couldn't get it resolved. I eventually just resigned myself to not use the full capacity. That's fine. 320gb is still a boatload of tunes.

Install was easy, once I got past the initial nervousness of prying the case apart.
Old 10-12-18, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

At home my primary PC is a 2007 era gaming computer that actually runs Win10 quite nicely.

I also have 15-year-old Z-680 speakers, an 11-year-old rear-projection TV and a PS3 as media player in the mancave, and an old N64 for playing GoldenEye.

My stereo system is all early '90s or older except for the 1st gen iPad I hooked up to it for streaming tunes. (wait, I replaced that with an iPad Mini a while back)

At work I support a few HP 200LX palmtops (circa 1994!) that are used by some emergency power systems to fax in their daily status reports.
Old 10-12-18, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Let's see, I still use:

-an iPad 3, I think? (whatever the last version was before they switched to the thinner Air ones

-a Yamaha receiver that I've owned for over 15 years that still works and sounds great

-Pioneer laserdisc player (it still works fine, although admittedly I don't use it much)

-Toshiba HD DVD player (same as above, works fine, but I suspect a bunch of my HD DVD discs have probably stopped working, based on what others have been reporting. I don't really care enough to test mine out though)

-Atari 7800 (gotta get some more games for this one)

-Yamaha DVD player that is region free and can handle PAL discs in addition to NTSC. I've had it for over 15 years and it still works great, it's a tank.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.