Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

No idea where the F' I am

Old 06-24-18, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No idea where the F' I am

This morning the Best Buy site was telling me the closest store was in Bangor Maine in spite of the fact thee are three right here in the Rochester, NY area. It thinks I'm in Maine. I just typed in a **** near me and it said I am in Italy, like the country. How can it not even know what country I'm in? What do I do to tell this thing where I am?
Old 06-24-18, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: No idea where the F' I am

On the BB homepage, there is a "store" icon next to the cart, with state initials. Click that, then Find Another Store.
On the next page, on the left, the 2nd box down, next to a zipcode, click Edit, and put in your zip.

This reminded me of a time when I worked making deliveries for a small company I was on a major road that got closed due to an ice storm and the tractor trailers were getting stuck.
This guy in a small box truck in front of me with a couple of other guys gets out and asks me to back up so he can go down this side road.
I figure he must know how to go, so I follow him. We're heading in a southerly direction for about 5-10 miles when he pulls over and gets out again. He comes up to me waiving a map and goes "I don't know where the FUCK I'M AT!".
Old 06-25-18, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I wonder if your IP address is showing up in the right area. If you Google geolocate IP or something one of the websites should tell you.

If that's fine, then Best Buy's site is just being dumb
Old 06-25-18, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The geolocation had me in Rochester. Bing has me in Italy. I tried Target, they knew where I was, then I tried Kohl's, they have me in Boston.
Old 06-26-18, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Websites can use a number of different IP geolocation services with varying levels of quality and accuracy. IP to location mapping is a black art.

The only way to truly get accurate location info is for the website to request access (and the user to grant permission) to the OS's location services.
Old 07-10-18, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by JimRochester View Post
This morning the Best Buy site was telling me the closest store was in Bangor Maine in spite of the fact thee are three right here in the Rochester, NY area. It thinks I'm in Maine. I just typed in a **** near me and it said I am in Italy, like the country. How can it not even know what country I'm in? What do I do to tell this thing where I am?
You might have your phone in Fugitive Mode.

Turn it to OFF.