Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

New computers and restoring

Old 06-17-18, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

New computers and restoring

So I havenít bought a new computer for years, relying on my smartphone to do a lot of what I need but now that I have a new laptop, there is no restore disc, only a partition.

What do you all recommend as far as creating some sort of backup? I would think the only thing to do is to create a whole disk image but I donít have any pro tools to do that.

Any thoughts? Thanks!
Old 06-17-18, 08:44 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: New computers and restoring

What make/model is your laptop?

Most new computers with no Recovery disc have an option within the operating system to create your own. Burn the Recovery disc, label it, and keep it somewhere safe. You may have to look around for it, sometimes they don't make it easy to find.

If the computer gives you no option to create Recovery media, a tool I have used successfully in the past is Macrium Reflect. Give it a look.
Old 06-19-18, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by kd5 View Post
What make/model is your laptop?

Most new computers with no Recovery disc have an option within the operating system to create your own. Burn the Recovery disc, label it, and keep it somewhere safe. You may have to look around for it, sometimes they don't make it easy to find.

If the computer gives you no option to create Recovery media, a tool I have used successfully in the past is Macrium Reflect. Give it a look.
Thanks for the reply KD5, I just got an Asus Tp200sa 2-in-1 as a lounger but I also have a gamer laptop from Asus that doesnít come with a backup either; looks like they both have restoration partitions but if the drives go bad, Iím out of luck.

Iíll look into the Windows 10 utilities and try that out, thanks!!
Old 06-19-18, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I use the paid version of AOMEI for backups. You can create a full disc clone or create a bootable USB drive as a backup.

https://www.aomeitech.com/aomei-backupper.html
Old 06-19-18, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by gmanca View Post
Thanks for the reply KD5, I just got an Asus Tp200sa 2-in-1 as a lounger but I also have a gamer laptop from Asus that doesn’t come with a backup either; looks like they both have restoration partitions but if the drives go bad, I’m out of luck.

I’ll look into the Windows 10 utilities and try that out, thanks!!
I’ll second Marcium Reflect as a good backup program. Once you have everything setup like you like it create an image and save it.

Asus usually has a utility called Backtracker to create computer recovery media. If it’s not installed on you computer download it from their site. It will let you create a bootable flash drive or CD. If you are comfortable with the usb drive you can delete the recovery partition for more free place.
Old 06-20-18, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

On my previous two computers, I would do periodic dvd-r backups of the restoration partitions. There was even a windows operating system program item which did this in one-click. I usually did this once a year or so.

On my more recent computers, they removed the dvd-r backup option and changed it over flash drives instead, which did one-click backups of the restoration partitions.

Ironically I never actually had to use these backups at all. Usually by the time the old computer died (ie. 5-6+ years later), I found it was easier to just buy a new computer instead of fixing up the old hunk of junk.