Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Data recover tool to get picture and data of a Galaxy S7 with blank screen

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 06-06-18, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I got a Samsung Galaxy S7 a few months back. All of a sudden while i was texting, the screen goes blank. The phone still lights up, but the screen is blank. I can do a rebbot by holding in the power button and the lower volume button, but all it does is restart the pone. The Samsung log will appear on the screen when rebooting but then it goes back to the blank screen.

I called Samsung tech support and they said all i could do was reset back to factory condition and start all over, I would like to retreive the data (mostly pictures) from my phone before doing this.

I googed a few and it seemed Fonepaw was reccomended, but it doesn't seem to have software above an S6. Is there any good software out there that would work with the S& and be easy to use as i am not a techie?
Old 06-06-18, 06:59 PM
Political Exile

Re: Data recover tool to get picture and data of a Galaxy S7 with blank screen

https://youtu.be/WIKrRx6CV5s

Maybe try something like this?
Old 06-06-18, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So it powers up and stays powered? If you just connect the phone via USB to your PC, does it not show up as an external drive?
Old 06-06-18, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by kefrank View Post
So it powers up and stays powered? If you just connect the phone via USB to your PC, does it not show up as an external drive?
It powers up, it rings and I can hear emails and text messages. I can see the arrow and the square icons on the bottom when I hit the power button.

when I plug it in to a PC, The PC gives me an option to download photos to my PC form my phone. But when I tries, it will say "unable to access" because I have a numberic password I need to enter in on my phone. But since the screen isnt woking, I can't ebter in the password.
Old 06-06-18, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
It powers up, it rings and I can hear emails and text messages. I can see the arrow and the square icons on the bottom when I hit the power button.

when I plug it in to a PC, The PC gives me an option to download photos to my PC form my phone. But when I tries, it will say "unable to access" because I have a numberic password I need to enter in on my phone. But since the screen isnt woking, I can't ebter in the password.
Ah, ok. This may be a dumb question, but any chance you had the Google Photos app installed? If so, it may have been backing up your photos to the cloud without you realizing it. If you're unsure, go to http://photos.google.com and login with the gmail account that you use for Android on your phone and see if you have any photos there.
Old 06-08-18, 04:22 PM

yes, ijust my google account but no photos in there. it seems the screen still works butnothing is visible. i can answer the phone by swiping where i think theswipe answer thing is. it appears i canattempt totype in a password. i may be able to figure out where the exact numbers are, but i wont be able to tell wherethe "photo gallery" is on there.

is there any way to back it up remotely through my Google account without having to i stall anything new on my phone?
Old 06-10-18, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

See if you can find a screenshot of the numbers screen. That might let you punch in the numbers without "seeing them"...

Or go to a store that has one, with your laptop and use the "good one" to see what you need to do blindly on yours to get access to it.
Old 06-11-18, 09:13 AM

Are the photos on a sd card or internal storage?
Old 06-11-18, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Chrisedge View Post
See if you can find a screenshot of the numbers screen. That might let you punch in the numbers without "seeing them"...

Or go to a store that has one, with your laptop and use the "good one" to see what you need to do blindly on yours to get access to it.
I tried and think I got the password to go through, problem was I didn't know exactly where the photo app was because there is a number of no standard apps I have on there. It seems to go back to the lock screen after about 10 seconds which makes it hard to get to any mentu items.

I was hoping getting through the password part would allow it to connect to the computer by a USB cord, but since the password only lasts a few seconds there doesnt seem to be enough time.