Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Any Google Home Mini users?

Old 06-02-18, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Any Google Home Mini users?

So when I got my Pixel2 few weeks ago, I got a Chromecast and Home Mini for free. They've arrive and I'm kinda excited to use.
Do I need to use the Chromecast or I can do without since my TV is a Samsung smart? Hate having to be redundant with a smart TV and a smart device plugged into it that essentially does the same things.
Old 06-02-18, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Any Google Home Mini users?

Note there is a Home thread, though not Mini-specific.

https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tech-talk/...ogle-home.html
Old 06-02-18, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah I got one with my Pixel 2 as well. SO far all ive really done with it is set a timer and ask for the weather. I need a cheat sheet of commands
Old 06-02-18, 08:11 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by VHS? View Post
So when I got my Pixel2 few weeks ago, I got a Chromecast and Home Mini for free. They've arrive and I'm kinda excited to use.
Do I need to use the Chromecast or I can do without since my TV is a Samsung smart? Hate having to be redundant with a smart TV and a smart device plugged into it that essentially does the same things.
I have a Google Home and Home Mini, in different rooms of the house. What I like best is the "routines" which you set up to have a bunch of actions taken for various times of the day (waking up, going to sleep, going to work, coming home, etc.)

As for the Chromecast, I have one and see it basically as a mirroring device. You can project on a TV whatever you have on your phone, tablet or PC. There are advantages and disadvantages relative to a Smart TV. I would suggest that you start setting it up as a redundant device, before you decide which one you like better.
Old 06-04-18, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I set it up as intended and to be honest, when asking the mini to show YouTube, it actually pops up much faster than the app on my TV. I would however like it better if it just opened YT by itself rather than having to ask for it to show video from 'insert video name'. Same with Netflix. Having to know what you want rather than just opening the app and then decide what you want is what I really feel it should do.
Other than that, it's cool little device. I like how I can tell it to turn on/off my TV but I have the Chromecast hooked into it's own HDMI so when I tell it to close, or 'stop' whatever app I'm using, it doesn't go back to my previous source that my cable box is using. Have to use TV remote to switch back to that source.