Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Google Pixel2 - Opinions?

Old 05-21-18, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Google Pixel2 - Opinions?

So couple weeks ago my Samsung S6 battery only allowed for use while plugged into power. Once I remove cable, it would just shut off. So rather than replace battery for a 3rd time, I said forget it and initially went into Verizon to get another Samsung. After about 30 minutes I went with the Google Pixel2 (almost the XL)

So far I am liking it a lot. Battery life is really good and charges fast. I really like that my photos are auto saved to Google Phots cloud rather than clogging up my phone. The camera is really nice. Max is 12.2 on back (4:3) while front is 8.0 (4:3) Video is max at UHD 4K (30fps) for back and 1080p for the front.

Plenty of security options to keep people out but kind of interesting that I can use my camera without using one (unless I have missed that option somewhere)
System is fast as phone responds very quickly. Uses new USB-C and they went and copied iPhone with the whole no headphone jack but instead uses an adapter. They do make it quite easy to transfer your old phone data with an included adapter for phone to phone transfer. I however could not do this as it requires phone to be on it's own power and my Samsung wouldn't allow that.

Sound comes in really nice as you have front facing speaker. Not sure how I feel about that as I liked to just use my thumb to cover speaker on my old phone (bottom) when it was too loud rather than using button to lower or raise volume.

It's nice having Google just be there logged in for everything. Saves my shit automatically and I don't have to worry about it. Google assistant is a really nice feature as well. And it's just a simple squeeze of the phone to activate.
Still learning but I really like it. At $23/mo extra on my bill, I'm pretty happy with it.

Oh.... and no SIM card needs to be inserted. Is this a new thing with phones now? It does have a slot though.
Old 05-22-18, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Google Pixel2 - Opinions?

I got a Pixel 2 a couple of weeks ago and I love it. My wife had a 1, so I had used hers some. I got the XL for the larger screen. The camera is fantastic, mush better than the HTC One POS I had before.
Old 05-22-18, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I've been buying Google phones ever since the Galaxy Nexus, and i've had both the Pixel XL and currently use the Pixel 2 XL. The first Pixel was probably my favorite phone ever. I still dig my Pixel 2 XL although i'm not as big a fan of the screen and removing the headphone jack.
Old 05-22-18, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

One thing I like on this phone is the face. I'm not a fan of that curved screen. No reason to overlap. It's touchy. I do think I should have gone with the XL but I'm still happy.
Old 05-23-18, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I got the XL on a deal from Verizon a few months back that dropped the cost to the same as the non-XL. I love it so far. I also went from a Galaxy S6 and the difference in battery life itself was worth it.
Old 08-28-18, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So I need some help here.
One feature I really like is casting. But what I really liked about my S-series phones was, I could cast my own media on my phone to my TV (Samsung)
I cant find that option on this phone. I took some pictures and video over the weekend and would like to show everyone on the TV but cant figure out how. Normally there is the cast icon but no such thing here.

Anyone able to do this?

*I do have the Google Home pod as well as Chromecast hooked to TV if that helps even though never needed them with my Samsung phones

** I also use Google Photos so content is not actually on my phone (but did try photo and video not yet sync so they were on the phone and still nothing.
Old 08-29-18, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Samsung always makes it easy between their devices, heck I can mirror my TV on to my Samsung Fridge!

If you have a Chromecast, it should be simple to just cast from your phone. Do you have the cast option in Settings that it mentions here?

https://support.google.com/pixelphon.../2865484?hl=en

I can try it tomorrow, I have a Chromecast in a box somewhere that I can plug in and try from my Pixel 2 XL.
Old 08-29-18, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well I'm a dumbass.....

So last week I set up a Firestick because my Sammy doesn't support Shudder app
Well I switched back over to my Chromecast but didn't plug in said Chromecast power supply....

Everything A-OK now