DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 05-13-18, 12:05 AM   #1
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Question regarding re-encoding flac HD audio

I understand flac is lossless, but if a 96000Hz audio file is re-encoded using a smaller value such as 48000Hz or 441000Hz wouldn't some data be lost? I have a lot of DVD-Audio discs that are 24 bit/96kHz that I plan to re-encode using flac but want to make sure I have the correct settings to achieve a lossless file. Thanks!
Old 05-13-18, 08:09 AM   #2
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Question regarding re-encoding flac HD audio

96kHz is the sample rate while 24 is the number of bits per sample.
So if you re-encode it by reducing either the sample rate or bit rate, yes, it's technically a lossier version of the same track. Whether it's noticeable is another story... All else being equal, I don't think most people can hear a difference between 96kHz and 48kHz... But if you're going for an exact copy of the original audio, then keeping it set to 96/24 is the way to go.
Old 05-13-18, 03:50 PM   #3
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I can't hear a difference between FLAC 96 / 24 and FLAC 48 or 44.1 / 16. The filesizes of FLAC 96 / 24 are about 10x the size of the 44.1 / 16 ones, so it's a huge savings with an imperceptible loss in quality.

But, I *can* hear an incredible difference betwen FLAC 44.1 / 16 and mp3 320 kbps. Lossy mp3 sounds like garbage compared to lossless FLAC.
Old 05-13-18, 06:24 PM   #4
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZ1276 View Post
I understand flac is lossless, but if a 96000Hz audio file is re-encoded using a smaller value such as 48000Hz or 441000Hz wouldn't some data be lost?
Yes, that's right. Usually, you would just leave the FLAC encoder's settings at Auto, and it would preserve the original file's same bit depth and sample rate.
Old 05-13-18, 10:14 PM   #5

thanks guys
Old 05-19-18, 05:12 PM   #6
DVD Talk Special Edition

The real question is WHY. You have dvd audio why the hell would you reencode it to something lower, it's the whole point of why you had dvd audio in the first place. Just leave it high res when you rip it.

And I don't know why one guys post asking question about reencode was locked while this one asking info about ripping dvd audio isn't.
65" Samsung ks8000
Old 05-20-18, 02:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtv00 View Post
The real question is WHY. You have dvd audio why the hell would you reencode it to something lower, it's the whole point of why you had dvd audio in the first place. Just leave it high res when you rip it.
I'm not looking to reencode to lower quality. I'm looking to reencode without losing any quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtv00 View Post
And I don't know why one guys post asking question about reencode was locked while this one asking info about ripping dvd audio isn't.
I'm not asking for help or instructions on how to rip/encode. I'm asking a general question about quality loss when encoding to flac.