Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

iPhone hacked!

Old 05-04-18, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

iPhone hacked!

OK. So I will never own an iPhone. I'm an android guy. But my kids and Wife insist on having them. That's besides the point here. My issue is, one of my kids phones got hacked somehow and I have no idea how. I'm hoping someone here can shed some light. I know there are probably several ways this happened but maybe someone here can help out.

Yesterday, my youngest Daughter was getting text messages from her BF, who also has an iPhone. She thought he was being a little jerk and until she did a little test. Both phones, in hand, and getting text messages. After asking who and how, all she got in replies was the word 'HACKER' and then a clown emoji.

How did this happen. How is someone spoofing his number and get her number to contact? We don't want this getting to the point of this 'hacker' getting my Daughters contacts and start fuckin around with dumb ass messages.
Old 05-04-18, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: iPhone hacked!

I don't get it, when you say both phones in hand, she had both her phone and her BF's phone and they were getting text messages from a third party? From where?

If the BF signed in via icloud somewhere else, they could also message from his account but not through his phone, he should just change his icloud password immediately (if he can)
Old 05-04-18, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, the description was confusing to me too. Since iMessage can be signed in to on any Apple device, sounds like someone has one of the account's password.
Old 05-04-18, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If there’s an iPad or Apple computer involved, that could be a reason. Same account being used on both devices.
Old 05-05-18, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's probably not your daughter's phone. If the text bubbles are blue it's coming from an Apple device. If it's green it's a non Apple device and spoofing/cloning issue. More than likely the BF's a phishing victim or some one has an iOS device of his. Have him change his Apple ID password and log out of all device in iCloud from a computer. iCloud will list all device linked to his id. See if it continues. If not problem solved. It's not a unique problem to Apple if he was phished. In Android most people sync their contact through Google. iOS default sync is iCloud.
Old 05-07-18, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I'm not sure about texting, but call spoofing is pretty common. I usually get a call once a week from a number that has the same 6 first digits as my phone number.
Old 05-08-18, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Spoofed VOIP number, very common

The phone was not hacked, it was not broken into or taken over. People really need to stop using that term.
Old 05-08-18, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Raul3 View Post
Yeah, I'm not sure about texting, but call spoofing is pretty common. I usually get a call once a week from a number that has the same 6 first digits as my phone number.
Call spoofing has been used by the slimy robocallers for a while now. As people stopped answering calls outside their area code they moved to spoofing the first 6 numbers thinking you'll answer. Latest is spoofing the first 5 then random after that. It's Rachel from Card Services or some other dumbass selling a free vacation scam.
Old 05-08-18, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Like others have said, could be simply someone on the BF's iPad, iPod Touch, Mac...etc. iMessage follows you to all Apple devices. Does the BF have a little brother?
Old 05-09-18, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sorry for the delay in replying.

To clear things up, it's only texting. No calls. Also, there are no other Apple devices in the house. Only Android. Not logged into any other devices with Apple ID.
The texting has stopped though. Nobody in any of their contacts has been contacted so it's all really odd.
And to be clear again, while texting was going on, BOTH iPhone's where sitting right in front of them. It's was like a ghost was texting and they weren't even touching the phones.
Old 05-09-18, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by VHS? View Post

To clear things up, it's only texting. No calls. Also, there are no other Apple devices in the house. Only Android. Not logged into any other devices with Apple ID.
The texting has stopped though. Nobody in any of their contacts has been contacted so it's all really odd.
And to be clear again, while texting was going on, BOTH iPhone's where sitting right in front of them. It's was like a ghost was texting and they weren't even touching the phones.
It doesn't matter if there isn't another Apple device in your house, the point is that someone was probably logged in to the boyfriend's (if that's where the texts looked like they were coming from) account from another device somewhere.
Old 05-09-18, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
It doesn't matter if there isn't another Apple device in your house, the point is that someone was probably logged in to the boyfriend's (if that's where the texts looked like they were coming from) account from another device somewhere.
Yep; this is what I meant in my post. If the BF has an iPhone and an iPad (or Ipod Touch or Mac..etc) someone with his device can send an iMessage which will look like it came from his phone.
Old 05-09-18, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The texts were never coming from his phone or your house. They were from another Apple device (iPad, iPod Touch, a Mac, etc.) which was using his login information at a different location. He can check all devices using his id at iCloud. It could have been a sibling, a friend or someone with access to another Apple device he uses.
Old 05-09-18, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't care if the texting stopped, he has to change his icloud password just in case. And any other accounts that shared that password.
Old 05-09-18, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

He has no other Apple device so having been logged in other than his phone is impossible. He has his iPhone and that's it. It's possible someone in his house snagged his phone while he wasn't using it, but kids these days have that shit glued to their hands. But still possible.
He has also changed his Apple ID
Old 05-09-18, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

He has no other Apple device so having been logged in other than his phone is impossible. He has his iPhone and that's it. It's possible someone in his house snagged his phone while he wasn't using it, but kids these days have that shit glued to their hands. But still possible.
He has also changed his Apple ID
He doesn't have to have another Apple device, someone could have just gotten his ID and password and logged in to his account from anywhere as well.

If he changed his Apple ID after the incidents, that's good