Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Free video conferencing service?

Old 04-18-18, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Free video conferencing service?

Looking for a free video conferencing service, probably between two parties but possibly more. Some people have recommended:
  • Zoom
  • Google Hangouts
Webex and GoToMeeting are supposed to be good but aren't free. Facebook messaging might work too, but maybe not ideal for a job interview.
Old 04-18-18, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Free video conferencing service?

There is also imo

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/imo-...336435697?mt=8
Old 04-18-18, 04:47 PM

I have used Google Hangouts and Skype a lot with multiple parties and like them both pretty much equally. Either one would probably meet your needs, with the caveat that I don't think you can dial in "anonymously" for either one: you need an account.
Old 04-19-18, 06:31 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I use Skype for Business at work and like it. I'm not sure if you lose anything with regular Skype.
Old 04-19-18, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have used Skype for a video interview with a recruiter and I did this using Skype on my iPad without having to pay. I think it did not cost me anything because it was a local call and a one-off deal for me...if I needed to constantly use Skype I bet I would have been directed to a page explaining how I could purchase Skype credits (I think that is what folks buy when they are heavy Skype users).
Old 04-19-18, 12:41 PM

I use Skype or Google Hangouts.

For what it's worth, freeconferencecall.com is great for non-video conference calling.
Old 04-20-18, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks to everyone for the feedback!

Originally Posted by Inhumans99 View Post
I have used Skype for a video interview with a recruiter and I did this using Skype on my iPad without having to pay. I think it did not cost me anything because it was a local call and a one-off deal for me...if I needed to constantly use Skype I bet I would have been directed to a page explaining how I could purchase Skype credits (I think that is what folks buy when they are heavy Skype users).
Hmm, that didn't even occur to me as I've never been charged the times I've used it. It was never more than once a month, though.

Originally Posted by story View Post
I use Skype or Google Hangouts.

For what it's worth, freeconferencecall.com is great for non-video conference calling.
I was just talking to someone about freeconferencecall today. He said he could display a powerpoint so that's useful.
Old 04-22-18, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

My work used to just use Skype for video conferencing with individuals outside the company in interviews. Worked fine.
Old 05-03-18, 11:20 AM
Admin-Thanos

Another vote for Skype. I've used it to call family and friends and my work used it for a while to conduct video interviews. Pretty easy to use and as long as you had a solid internet connection, it displayed a good image and sound.
Old 05-03-18, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

To wrap up the story behind the OP: I asked our candidate if he had a preference, and he said he'd be fine with Facebook or Zoom. I thought to myself "Well, that's kinda weird since we're not Facebook friends, and do we really want to be if you're not hired?" But I went along with it and said "I could do Facebook or Zoom," and he said "FACETIME! I meant FACETIME!"

So we just did FaceTime because there were only two of us, and it went just fine with no connection issues or whatever.