Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Do ethernet cable splitters exist?

Old 03-25-18, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Do ethernet cable splitters exist?

My router doesn't have enough outputs for all my devices. I need at least 2 more. Do splitters for ethernet cables exist? I checked out Monoprice but didn't find what I was looking for. Thanks!
Old 03-25-18, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: Do ethernet cable splitters exist?

Yeah, the device you're looking for is an ethernet switch.
Old 03-25-18, 06:35 PM

I'm using this switch and have no complaints. Very simple to use. Just plug in the cables. I've got it hooked up to my home theater (TV, Roku, AppleTV, Boxee, Xbox One, etc.)

Amazon Amazon

I started out using this 5-port model, before upgrading to the 8-port model. It's only $10 and does the job well.

Amazon Amazon

Of course, I bought both of these over 5 years ago. They still work great. But there might be newer models with improved tech specs.
Old 03-25-18, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JZ1276 View Post
My router doesn't have enough outputs for all my devices. I need at least 2 more. Do splitters for ethernet cables exist? I checked out Monoprice but didn't find what I was looking for. Thanks!
You can get something like this:
Amazon Amazon
but you are better off getting a switch. I used a splitter in college because the dorm only had one Ethernet port but that was decades ago and we didn't have to worry about it bottlenecking the connection.
Old 03-25-18, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Thanks everyone for the input!
Old 03-27-18, 03:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
You can get something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Insten-Ethern.../dp/B003C2QS90 but you are better off getting a switch. I used a splitter in college because the dorm only had one Ethernet port but that was decades ago and we didn't have to worry about it bottlenecking the connection.
That's not going to work in a situation like this. What that does is basically take an 8-wire ethernet cable, and make it 2x 4-wire connections (limited to 100 Mbps each), but you need a splitter on each end of the cable. So it can't increase the number of ports on your switch, which is what JZ1276 wants to do.

The only thing for JZ1276 to do is get a switch and uplink it to the router, as others have mentioned.
Old 03-28-18, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
That's not going to work in a situation like this. What that does is basically take an 8-wire ethernet cable, and make it 2x 4-wire connections (limited to 100 Mbps each), but you need a splitter on each end of the cable. So it can't increase the number of ports on your switch, which is what JZ1276 wants to do.

The only thing for JZ1276 to do is get a switch and uplink it to the router, as others have mentioned.
Yeah I think I posted the wrong one. The one he would need has a single male end with a clip. Or plug a Ethernet cable into the router and the other end into that.
Old 03-30-18, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
I'm using this switch and have no complaints. Very simple to use. Just plug in the cables. I've got it hooked up to my home theater (TV, Roku, AppleTV, Boxee, Xbox One, etc.)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001QUA6RA/

I started out using this 5-port model, before upgrading to the 8-port model. It's only $10 and does the job well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000M2TAN4/

Of course, I bought both of these over 5 years ago. They still work great. But there might be newer models with improved tech specs.
The latter is only 100mbps. Depending on your needs it may or may not be adequate