Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old PC Video card replacement question?

Old 03-04-18, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old PC Video card replacement question?

Looking for some advice. I think my 11 old computer’s video card just died (random black screen reboots, now no video signal). I am looking to replace it with something similar and cheap, but a lot has changed since I bought it.

Dead:
768MB nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX
https://www.geforce.com/hardware/des...specifications

Computer:
Win 10 (32 bit), Intel® Core™2 Q6600 Quad-Core (8MB L2 cache,2.4GHz), 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz - 2 DIMMs

Replace with?
Asus ATI Radeon HD6450
Amazon Amazon

Will it just be a swap and the new card auto-installs?

Thanks for any advice.
Old 03-04-18, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Old PC Video card replacement question?

Do you know what kind of motherboard you have? I think that graphics card won’t work with it. You said you have 2GB of DDR2, but that new graphics card itself is DDR3. I’m thinking your motherboard may be too old to handle something new, but that card you listed is from 2011. Check your motherboard specs first then I think you can have better scope as to what will work for you.
Old 03-04-18, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I found this on the order confirmation:

7-slot, BTX design motherboard
750-watt Power Supply
Tower Six-heat pipe, Copper base Heat Sink with aluminum fans
Two 120mm x 38mm front fans
Old 03-04-18, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by E Unit View Post
Do you know what kind of motherboard you have? I think that graphics card won’t work with it. You said you have 2GB of DDR2, but that new graphics card itself is DDR3. I’m thinking your motherboard may be too old to handle something new, but that card you listed is from 2011. Check your motherboard specs first then I think you can have better scope as to what will work for you.
The type of memory used by the external graphics card has no relevance to the type supported by the motherboard (unless we're talking about an integrated card that shares the same memory), so a video card using DDR3 versus his system using DDR2 doesn't matter here.

For the most part, most PCI-E graphics cards should work unless you happen to be looking at something that has higher power requirements, or maybe even size considerations, but neither would be an issue with the cards mentioned here.

Originally Posted by SunMonkey View Post
Will it just be a swap and the new card auto-installs?
I think the Radeon linked would work just fine, I assume on a computer this old you're just looking for anything for basic Windows use rather then gaming or whatever (the 8800 GTX was a high end gaming card back in the day). As long as it has the display output you need for your monitor (VGA, DVI, HDMI, or whatever) you should be fine. I'd just uninstall whatever Nvidia graphics driver you have installed before hand and make sure you have the right driver for the Radeon downloaded and ready to install as well before the hardware swap.

Last edited by fumanstan; 03-04-18 at 04:47 PM.
Old 03-04-18, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks. Yeah, I just use it for basic stuff now. I can't uninstal anything before hand since I have no video, so hopefully that doesn't mess it up. I can have the drivers ready, though.
Old 03-04-18, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Oh right, no video signal
Old 03-05-18, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You should be alright, it should run off the default Microsoft drivers on the initial boot and you can do the driver uninstall and re-installs as necessary
Old 03-05-18, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Installed and running great. Thanks all (and Prime free next day delivery). Hopefully I can squeeze a few more years out if this old beast.