Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

If your TV stops working, do you send it in for repairs or buy a new one?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology
View Poll Results: If your TV stops working, do you send it in for repairs or do you buy a new one?
Yes, I'll send it in for repairs if costs aren't too much
20.00%
I'll buy a new one. No worth effort to send it in for repairs
20.00%
I'll send it in for repairs only if I'm in warranty.
60.00%
I'll spend whatever it costs to repair it (Spent good money on this TV)
0%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-01-18, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Simple question,

If your TV stops working, will you send it in for repairs or will you buy a new one?

Does it depend on how old the TV is? I'm sure if it's under 1 year old and still in warranty, you'll send it in for repairs.

However, for people with TVs you've owned for a few years or more, what do you do?

I don't buy expensive TVs. My current 40 inch 4K HDTV cost about $400 when I bought it 2 years ago.

Before that, the most expensive TV I had was roughly $250-300. I don't think for that type of cost for the TV sending it in for repairs is worth it.

A year ago, I had a 29 inch 1080p HDTV stop working. I think the bulb burned out. I had someone look at it and he quoted me $200 to repair it. The TV cost me $270, so obviously it was a no go for repairs.
Old 03-01-18, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: If your TV stops working, do you send it in for repairs or buy a new one?

Most appliances these days are built to replace, not repair. How many tv repair places do you pass by on your way to work these days? Part of it is technology getting cheaper, but I think part of it is the race to the bottom price-wise and changing the consumer model. For a more drastic example of this, see printers and the cost of ink.

Sure, if it's under warranty, send it in for a repair, otherwise it's usually cheaper to just buy a new one, and you'll probably get a better TV to boot.

I think this will become a problem, however, once 3D TVs start crapping out and there are no real new replacements.
Old 03-01-18, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post

I think this will become a problem, however, once 3D TVs start crapping out and there are no real new replacements.

Yeah, that's one of my biggest questions. Several guys here are extremely passionate about their 3D HDTV's. What happens if and when it breaks? No TVs last forever and what if there is no affordable replacements? Those guys have like thousands of dollars of 3D BD inventory that will end up being useless.

Are they going to spend premium money to find a replacement 3D TV?

4K TVs are already pretty prominent and most are quite affordable. I have another 29 inch HDTV in a bedroom that's speakers are crapping out. I think I will eventually get a 4K Smart TV to replace it at some point. Not sure when.

Last edited by DJariya; 03-01-18 at 07:16 PM.
Old 03-01-18, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I mean, it happens to all media eventually, right? It's already being phased out of many new releases, and it'll eventually join the HD-DVD collections of many of us, I'd think.
Old 03-01-18, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would at least open it up and take a look at it. It could be something as simple as a broken solder or an exploded capacitor. I can fix that.

I'm happy with our Samsung plasma. I don't want to replace it.
Old 03-01-18, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If it's under warranty and shipping it away is cheap I would go for that.

I got a nice 4K set I bought on the cheap from EBT electronics. It's got deep blacks from what I can tell when I watch 4K content, sometimes I'm in awe.

I would be happy to get a good 8yrs from it until the next thing which I'm sure by that time OLED or even a better technology will be much cheaper than what I previously spent.
Old 03-01-18, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

If it's in warranty i'll contact the manufacturer. Otherwise... I guess it depends, but chances are I would just replace it. When an old Samsung Plasma died a couple years back, i decided it wasn't worth the cost to look in to a repair and just dumped it on Craigslist to whomever might want to try and repair it.

Also gives me a good reason to buy a new TV
Old 03-01-18, 07:18 PM
Premium Member

Replace it if it's out of warranty, and if I couldn't fix it myself. And I would never purchase an extended warranty.
Old 03-01-18, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Replace it unless it's fairly new.
Old 03-01-18, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
I would at least open it up and take a look at it. It could be something as simple as a broken solder or an exploded capacitor. I can fix that.
If I can't fix anything obvious after opening it up, kick in the screen and use it for target practice until everything is completely destroyed.
Old 03-01-18, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Our 6 year old 60" LCD got hit with a power surge a year ago. Cost about $300 to repair, but I knew it wasn't the right time to get a 75"+ 4k TV (because of price, missing features, and lack of content). My next TV will be a big ass 4K, so I want to make sure it has everything I need at a decent price. Current TV is still working well enough for my needs.

If it was a smaller bedroom TV I just would have gotten a new one.
Old 03-02-18, 06:51 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'd try to have mine fixed but unfortunately the repairman would have to come to me, this TV weighs about 250 lbs. (53" Pioneer Rear-projection HDTV), I'll have a hell of a time getting rid of it when/if it finally dies completely, so it better just keep working!

Last edited by kd5; 03-02-18 at 06:56 AM.
Old 03-02-18, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

If it's some $5000 TV that I shouldn't have bought to begin with, repairs.

If it's the $300 50" 4K tv I have, replace it unless it's under warranty.
Old 03-02-18, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If it is in warranty, and the manufacturer is paying for shipping, I'll send it in for repairs. If not, many problems can be fixed quite easily and cheaply by anyone that can use simple hand tools and a video or two on youtube. If the problem is not easily and cheaply fixed, a new tv is bought.
Old 03-02-18, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I throw it in the gutter and go buy another.
Old 03-02-18, 05:20 PM

I repaired my Samsung DLP set myself when the DLP-chip became defective; hundreds of tiny white dots appeared on the screen over time. Since OLEDs were still far too expensive, I opted to risk spending the $200 and hour or so of my time attempting a self-repair. That was two years ago, and the set still works like new. I'm hoping the venerable set lasts a few more years, then I'll replace it with a great OLED set when it finally gives up the ghost. By then, 60"+ OLEDs should be more reasonably priced, and the "curved" screen fad and 3D fad will have died, and we'll have some GREAT quality OLEDs.
Old 03-03-18, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If the display starts failing it's probably easier just to buy a new TV.

There are a lot of ifs though.

My 3+ years old Samsung started failing, it wouldn't turn on. First it started taking a lot of time to turn on. Sometimes it will turn on after several tries. And finally it would no longer turn on. I did a google search and it was a "common" problem. And guess what? you can buy the replacement part for like $30, and checking the instructions it was really easy to replace. So I did that, and it fixed the problem.

When I opened the back of the 55'' Samsung LCD TV, I was really surprised. It's basically two components. Look like small PC boards. I replaced one of them.

So yeah, most LCD screens are supposed to last at least 10 years, so I would suggest to search online, and if it's a part that's under $100 it's good to give it a try. It's really easy to replace the part most of the times.
Old 03-12-18, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't think I've ever had a TV fail, but it depends on the TV.

I'm rocking a $2700 OLED (ok, they're down to $2300 or so now) so I'd fix it.

In the years prior, I would have fixed my Panny plasma before going to LCD also.
Old 03-12-18, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Today's TVs are disposable. Unless you're buying the newest and greatest tech for an absurd price you're most likely better off dumping the old set if it's out of warranty. Even then, who wants to deal with shipping out a 40-60" set?
Old 03-12-18, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Today's TVs are disposable. Unless you're buying the newest and greatest tech for an absurd price you're most likely better off dumping the old set if it's out of warranty. Even then, who wants to deal with shipping out a 40-60" set?
... and they're timed to fail very soon out of warranty, also. Planned obsolesence. Throwaway society, and capitalism gone wild. There's no pride in workmanship anymore, and the days of your TV lasting 30 years and still going strong are OVER. We've fucked ourselves through and through by that continual lowering of the bar. We've been weaned by companies to "expect" this, hence your post about it, and that being the sad reality of electronics today.
Old 03-12-18, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Shipping out? Oh, I answered the poll with the thought that I'd be driving the set to the nearest repair shop.
Old 03-12-18, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
... and they're timed to fail very soon out of warranty, also. Planned obsolesence. Throwaway society, and capitalism gone wild. There's no pride in workmanship anymore, and the days of your TV lasting 30 years and still going strong are OVER. We've fucked ourselves through and through by that continual lowering of the bar. We've been weaned by companies to "expect" this, hence your post about it, and that being the sad reality of electronics today.
Old 03-12-18, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I will generally buy a new TV when one I own fails. The last failed TV I had was a DLP, and then it was only the bulb that went. I decided it was time for an LCD and used it as an excuse to upgrade.

I gave the failed DLP to a co-worker that wanted it, he put a new bulb in he got off ebay and is still using it today (years later).

None of my 5 LCD TVs have failed, but if/when they do, upgrade time, none are under warranty at this point