Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

DFP newbie question re: click tracking and impression tags

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-30-18, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hoping someone here knows something about DFP. My apologies in advance as I feel like a blind man trying to find his way through a room of broken windows.

I work for a local public television station and we have recently added rotating banner ads to a national series website specifically meant to be used for our sponsors and to help promote series initiatives. While I'm a newbie to DFP, our web designer set up the ad spaces on the page and I have managed to set up a series of orders and line items. FWIW, our current sponsors' banner ads are now rotating on the site. I should note that we do not permit 3rd party ad server tags as we need to maintain control of editorial content presented on our site.

That said, a new funder has requested the addition of click tracking and impression tags to the their percentage of the shared banner inventory. We are open to applying these tags as long as the content can be uploaded on our end of things. So far I have stumbled my way through the setup of 1x1 click-through tags to go with their inventory, I am entirely stumped as to how to equate those tags solely to their available inventory, however. Will this happen automatically with the two line items paired together within the single order, or do I need to do something to designate those 1x1 tags specifically to that sponsor's inventory only and not have them applied to our entire ad inventory,or am I simply misunderstaning the 1x1 click tags and they are notmean for third party data collection? I've googled this and watched YouTube videos but somehow I'm missing verification of how this next step works.

In addition, they have asked us to apply impression tags for their inventory. DFP allows me to associate an Impression URL to each piece of creative, but the sponsor provided instead us with actual Impression tagging code (in Javascript and for images...as per the client, Javascript is preferred). I'm assuming our webmaster would need to place this within the site's coding and it is not run through DFP. Is that correct? And if so, is there a way for it to work in tandem with DFP so that this particular sponsor doesn't collect impression data for all sponsor inventory and not just their specifically?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. The new sponsor's inventory is set to go active on Friday and my mind has turned to scrambled eggs trying to figure this out.

Last edited by TheAllPurposeNothing; 01-30-18 at 11:16 PM.
Old 02-01-18, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: DFP newbie question re: click tracking and impression tags

So.... DFP = DoubleClick for Publishers ?

What you're asking about may be out of the scope/experience of everyone in this forum. I'd try asking in the official DoubleClick Publisher Help Forum.
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/dfp
Old 02-03-18, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: DFP newbie question re: click tracking and impression tags

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
So.... DFP = DoubleClick for Publishers ?

What you're asking about may be out of the scope/experience of everyone in this forum. I'd try asking in the official DoubleClick Publisher Help Forum.
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/dfp
I know, but I figured it was worth a shot. You never know who might be hanging around these boards. And as it was, no one on the Google DFP boards seemed to have an answer as well.

That said, after stumbling a bit, we figured out a bit of a backwards solution to the problem. So all is good.