Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

DVD compatibility issue

Old 01-28-18, 03:38 PM

DVD compatibility issue

Hi all, I have an older Emerson VCR to DVD recorder I bought used to transfer a big collection of tapes to DVD. Apparently it requires a 1X - 4X speed disc to record. Before I go to the expense of buying those DVD's I need to know if my more modern DVD players will play that speed of disc. So in looking at the manuals I just see where they will play DVD+-RW and DVD+-R but no specification about speed, other the the DivX Disc emblem which shows 4x, 5x and 6.0. Can someone help me with this question?

Thanks
Old 01-28-18, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: DVD compatibility issue

You should be fine--as far as I know, transfer speeds don't have any effect on playback. If I'm wrong, I'm sure somebody will chime in to correct me.

Also, I think that the 1X - 4X speed thing only becomes relevant if you're dumping files from the hard drive in the recorder to the disc. If you're recording straight from tape to disc, that's going to have to be done at the 1X, or real-time, speed.

I'm almost positive that you'd be able to use an 8X or 16X blank DVD in your recorder for any purpose. If you feel really iffy about that, borrow a blank from a friend or buy the cheapest-priced blank DVD at one of the higher write speeds and do a test run.

Your MAIN issue will be to make sure that you're using the format of blank DVD that your recorder calls for. For instance, I've got a Pioneer DVD recorder, and it uses DVD-R blanks only. I used to have a Panasonic that used DVD+R only. If anything's going to trip you up, this will be the thing to do it.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-29-18, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You'll have no problems with the playback. For recording, you should also have no problems, as any recordable DVD media should have no issue with recording at 1x.

I'd recommend choosing DVD-R media for the best compatibility.
Old 01-29-18, 06:00 AM

Agree with all the above, basically any blanks should work fine.
Old 01-29-18, 03:20 PM

Thanks everyone, Rbrown, we tried working with 16X but we get an error on the machine and when we called Emerson they told us to use the 1x - 4X, of course they are impossible to find locally.
Old 01-29-18, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

But are you using the correct format of disc? +R or -R really matters to every standalone DVD recorder that I've ever seen.

If you've got a model number for the recorder, that might help me narrow down what the issue might be.
Old 01-29-18, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I did find a few discussions about this Emerson compatibility issue. Sounds like you're kind of fucked, because you can't get a firmware update for it anymore, and that kind of media just isn't made anymore. You should look into getting a new recorder.

http://www.fixya.com/support/t360050...s_2x_dvd_media
http://www.fixya.com/support/t353629...rder_everytime
http://www.fixya.com/support/t836727...on_ewr10dh_dvd