Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Creating BluRay DVD with hardcoded Subtitles

Old 01-08-18, 07:00 AM

Creating BluRay DVD with hardcoded Subtitles

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to be asking this sort of question, but I'm trying to create a BluRay with hardcoded subtitles. What I have is a ProRes file and various subtitle files (.txt, .srt, .stl), is there a way I can combine the two to either duplicate the ProRes file with the subtitles or do something to have the BluRay making software I have (Toast 12.1 Titanium) combine the two? I feel this should be a simple affair but it's proving to be rather difficult. I'm on a Mac 10.10.3 if that helps.

I'm not interested in paying for a new program in order to do this as I don't have the money. So please don't suggest any.

Thanks,
Old 01-08-18, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Creating BluRay DVD with hardcoded Subtitles

You can use something like Handbrake or Subler (both free) to burn in the subtitles, and then use that resultant video as the source for your Blu-ray authoring in Toast.

https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/...subtitles.html
https://support.automaticsync.com/hc...k-Using-Subler

Instead of burning them into the image, there should also be a way to author the Blu-ray with a soft subtitle track that is forced. I'm not sure if Toast is sophisticated enough to do that. Something like Adobe Encore probably can.

Edit: It's possible this trick might work too:

http://forums.support.roxio.com/topi...-files-to-dvd/

Last edited by TheBang; 01-08-18 at 07:53 AM.
Old 01-08-18, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've been using ConvertXtoDvd on my PC for ages. Probably converted & burn over 12,000+ dvds so far. Not sure if this program would run on a Mac OS though.
Old 01-09-18, 03:18 AM

Hi TheBang,

I tried using HandBrake with .srt files but unfortunately nothing would show up, I tried a couple of character codes but it didn't help. However after going through the file I noticed there were a couple of issues regarding timecode (for some reason there were some subtitles set to a 50fps timecode). I'll sort that out then try Handbrake again, as well as the Perian method.
Old 01-09-18, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kahuna View Post
I've been using ConvertXtoDvd on my PC for ages.
Same here, but ConvertX doesn't hardcode subs, as far as I know.
Old 01-09-18, 07:44 PM

Would this work.
ON MAC How to HARDCODE .srt subtitles onto .mp4 using VLC or Handbreak
https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/...C-or-Handbreak
Old 01-10-18, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
Same here, but ConvertX doesn't hardcode subs, as far as I know.
Guess I didn't understand the original question. I always use Subtitle Workshop to fix errors like line breaks, spelling mistakes, join 2 subs into one if needed & finally re-sync. Before using ConvertXtoDvd to burn to SL/DL Dvd.
Old 01-10-18, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kahuna View Post
Guess I didn't understand the original question. I always use Subtitle Workshop to fix errors like line breaks, spelling mistakes, join 2 subs into one if needed & finally re-sync. Before using ConvertXtoDvd to burn to SL/DL Dvd.
Ha, you and I use the same programs and procedures! I swear by S.W. for making subtitles, but I find Subtitle Edit far more useful for automatically looking over srts and repairing mistakes, and it's sometimes useful for idx to srt conversions.
Start with Options>Settings and decide what parameters you prefer. Then Tools>Fix Common Errors. Then Spell Check. Then one can scroll through the srt in S.E., and every line in red (both lines over 40 chars) can be split (click on line and you will see the option to auto-split the sub frame into two frames. The program will use the allotted time to best split the subs based on # of characters).

As far as making hardsubs, I use SubtitleCreator for that, and then VirtualDub or a similar program for mkvs. But I seldom make hardsubs because it's just not desirable, generally speaking.