Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Experience with TP Link routers?

Old 01-06-18, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Experience with TP Link routers?

I'm looking to upgrade my router. I haven a Netgear AC1700 which is fine, but it's showing it's age. I see this one: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tp-link...?skuId=4587500

And BB will pricematch Amazon's price of $127. That seems like a smoking deal for an AC3200. As with anything there are negative reviews, but most of them seem to be fairly positive. Anyone have any experience with them and/or this model?
Old 01-06-18, 02:00 PM

Re: Experience with TP Link routers?

I don't have any experience with a TP-Link router.

But I do own a TP-Link powerline adapter and it works well. I think I have 1-2 other TP-Link products lying around here. Anyways, their stuff always gets good reviews at Amazon (usually 4+ stars) and their prices are low. So as a company, I wouldn't hesitate to buy their products.

Personally, with routers I've always used Linksys. But I'm not up to date on the latest tech stuff.
Old 01-06-18, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I have a tp link router. Performance is iffy at times but I also paid $6 for it so not really complaining. It could also be the area, there are a lot of wifi networks.

I don't have experience with their more expensive routers.
Old 01-06-18, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have a TP-Link N450 Wireless Wi-Fi Router. That I got for dirt cheap price. It works for me for what I need after trying to use my SNL wifi signal from her downstairs bedroom. It was easy to set up. I see the Archer 3200 is only about $129 on Amazon (prime members price). May ask my SNL to buy that for me since she has prime.
Old 01-06-18, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I had an N600 router that was just ok; I bought it because I was able to flash DD-WRT on it, but even then performance and range weren't particularly great. It wasn't bad enough that I wouldn't buy TP-Link again, but it didn't exactly win me over despite the cheap price. The Netgear N6400 I bought to replace it a couple years back has been much better.
Old 01-06-18, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I have the TP-Link Archer C9, I think I've had to reboot it once due to dropped signal. Not bad at all tbh.

I get about 450mbps down/up on my Galaxy S8 (via 5K Wireless) per speedtest, range is good as well. I guess the most important part is that I've had it for 18 months and it still works fine.

Last edited by RichC2; 01-06-18 at 05:20 PM.
Old 01-07-18, 05:28 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've always been a Linksys person but I've used TP Link products in the past and I've never had a complaint with their performance. I would check alternative sites (Newegg?) for reviews just to be on the safe side, for me that's a lot of money to spend without making sure it's worth it.
Old 01-07-18, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Most reviews are positive, so I pulled the trigger. I figured with the 45 day return policy I have with Elite+ program, I can always take it back if I have issues. Thanks for feedback everyone.
Old 01-10-18, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Just hooked it up and things seem to be quicker. Ran speedtest on it, and I'm getting 330 Mbps on my laptop where as I was getting mid 200's with my last router. We'll see how it does over the next few weeks.
Old 01-10-18, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
Just hooked it up and things seem to be quicker. Ran speedtest on it, and I'm getting 330 Mbps on my laptop where as I was getting mid 200's with my last router. We'll see how it does over the next few weeks.
Just ordered one from Amazon Warehousedeals in "Used - Like New Condition". Item will come in original packaging for $107.99.

Amazon has one more left in same condition & price.
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by kahuna; 01-11-18 at 01:45 AM.