Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Best deals on new cell service?

Old 01-05-18, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Best deals on new cell service?

I thought there was a thread on cell phone plans, but I'll be damned if I can find it.

I'm currently on AT&T looking to move off to Verizon, and trying to figure out the best deal.

Right now I've got 2 lines, shared 16gigs of data for $109 a month. This is because of a special the company I worked for gave us 25% off AT&T fees. BUT, I don't work there anymore (AT&T doesn't know that though) so it's making moving off AT&T really tough.

Looking at verizon, it looks like 2 lines of unlimited is $130 plus fees (bleh). The only deals they have for non-unlimited look like they only go up to 8 gigs, which isn't enough.

I'm going to need to buy 2 phones, and one of them will probably be an iPhone X (for my partner) and an iphone X, Galaxy S8 or Pixel 2 for me. (so I'm not going to be able to do one of those buy 1 phone get 1 free after rebates kind of thing). Don't have great credit right now, so will probably have to buy them outright.

Main reason for switching is that AT&T service stinks in the desert, there are a ton of dead zones in Palm Springs, and people we know in town say they don't get that on Verizon.

So is there any way to get a better deal than what is on the verizon site? I used to have a friend that worked at a local verizon store, but he got fired for giving away really good deals to his friends

Sprint and TMobile are no-gos, as I've heard from lots of people that their service is not very good in town.
Old 01-05-18, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Best deals on new cell service?

Do you have XFINITY for cable at home? If so then I would suggest XFINITY mobile which is $45 per line of unlimited. You would be depri over Verizon directly but the $130 plan on Verizon is depri anyway
Old 01-06-18, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Best deals on new cell service?

Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post
Do you have XFINITY for cable at home? If so then I would suggest XFINITY mobile which is $45 per line of unlimited. You would be depri over Verizon directly but the $130 plan on Verizon is depri anyway
Depri?

I don't have XFINITY .... I was just reading that TotalWireless uses the Verizon towers and is a ton cheaper. Might go that route, though I've read their customer service is outsourced to the Philippines, and is horrible