Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Archiving CD Collection?

Old 01-05-18, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Archiving CD Collection?

I have around 2000 CDs I would like to rip to FLAC and be able to store the CDs away (Never selling them!). Is there a decent program that can extract, tag, and convert?

I have EAC, Foobar, etc...and am more worried about the proper tagging, etc than having the slowest, most accurate rip. I realize this will take some time (I have 6 huge boxes) but just wondering what people are using for this?

Any guessimates on how much HD space I will need?

Thanks!

(Mods, this is all legally owned, and as I said, I will never sell them, never sold my vinyl, and won't sell these)
Old 01-05-18, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Archiving CD Collection?

Personally, I archive my CDs by ripping with FairStars CD Ripper and then tweaking tags with MP3Tag (usually this is just adding cover art as the rest of the tags are handled correctly by the ripper).
Old 01-05-18, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

At most would be 1.3TB (650MB * 2000) most audio CDs are not full, so it should be under 1TB.

I use Exact Audio Copy currently for ripping to FLAC.

Last edited by Music; 01-05-18 at 01:10 PM.
Old 01-05-18, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Exact Audio Copy to rip to FLAC and MP3Tag to tag.

MP3Tag is a blessing. It's saved me so much time and headaches.
Old 01-05-18, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Everyone that has gone through a ripping project this size has said to get the tagging correct from the beginning. Pick a robust, flexible tagging system and stick with it. It's more work in the beginning but pays off once everything is done.
Old 01-05-18, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

(On a more general tangent).

I did something like this around a decade ago, just to find out that I hardly listened to any of my cd rips.

Fast foward to the present day, nowadays I end up listening to music mostly on youtube or my standalone stereo sytem. I don't even bother ripping my music cds anymore, other than to check them for obvious manufacturing defects.
Old 01-05-18, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by morriscroy View Post

I did something like this around a decade ago, just to find out that I hardly listened to any of my cd rips.

Fast foward to the present day, nowadays I end up listening to music mostly on youtube or my standalone stereo sytem. I don't even bother ripping my music cds anymore, other than to check them for obvious manufacturing defects.
Well, I do listen to quite a bit of lossless audio on my computer already. I have 1000+ live recordings already stored, so I figured might as well do the official stuff I have. Additionally, I don't have the ability to really access it like I used to (massive wall of CDs), so I want to rip and then just leave them in the boxes in my garage.
Old 01-06-18, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by morriscroy View Post

Some people use those wireless music server systems to hear their music around the house when they rip CDs.
Old 01-06-18, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Media Monkey is the best to do what u want
Old 01-06-18, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Picard by Musicbrainz is a great free music auto-tagging application. It works intelligently based on the album rather than the song and makes it easy to control which tags are populated. It’s not great if you don’t like the “proper” tags and prefer custom solutions (particularly important for multi-artist tracks and albums).

I also second the recommendations for mp3tag and mediamonkey. Both are key tools.
Old 01-06-18, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you don't feel like doing it yourself and can afford it, there's music ripping services.

I've used MusicShifter in the past. It's as low as $0.69 per CD, and they offer volume discounts for orders of over 2000 CDs. They'll rip 10 CDs for free as a trial:
http://www.musicshifter.com/packages.php
Old 01-10-18, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for all the help guys! I will probably try a number of these solutions on a couple of CDs to figure out what I like best, then start tackling the collection one box at a time (I think it's 6 boxes = 2000 CDs, they are super heavy)...

Jay, I can't imagine the costs of shipping back and forth and I have a bunch of OOP CDs, so no chances that I will send them off! I just bought the HD to use, and will have all my live recordings and store bought discs all on one drive. (Backed up in multiple places of course)
Old 01-10-18, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Chrisedge View Post
Jay, I can't imagine the costs of shipping back and forth...
Shipping is included in the price. They actually send you the materials to pack and ship the CDs in. And the free trial is totally free, including shipping.

You can always opt to do OOP CDs yourself and ship the test.
Old 01-11-18, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I couldn't imagine shipping out the CDs and paying to have it done.

If you set everything up properly and keep things organized, it's a pretty easy process.
It just takes a bit of practice to find the best/easiest way to do it and then the biggest pain only winds up being the constant swapping of CDs.
Old 01-11-18, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk God

I was just thinking about doing something like this the other day. I don't have many CDs (probably less than 200), but I'd like to get rid of most of them since they just take up space.
Old 01-11-18, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
I couldn't imagine shipping out the CDs and paying to have it done.

If you set everything up properly and keep things organized, it's a pretty easy process.
It just takes a bit of practice to find the best/easiest way to do it and then the biggest pain only winds up being the constant swapping of CDs.
The more I think about it, the more appealing that option gets. I did this about 15 years ago for a collection of around 200 discs. It took around five days of four/five hour sessions of ripping, tagging, and retagging to fix mistakes. I would have done it in a lossless codec but storage was at a greater premium back then and I didnít have a top end stereo to make a difference. I would like to have the collection in FLAC now but dreed doing it again for a larger collection.
Old 01-17-18, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing. My CD collection would take me weeks to transfer.... having it done for my by a 3rd party might be worth it.... I need to go count up everything I have to do, skipping those that I've already ripped and stored on my network, to come up with a decent guess as to the size of the job and how much it would cost.
Old 01-25-18, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So I'm using EAC to rip to flac and it seems to be going ok. I am fine with most of the tagging it does on its own.

I have a few burned discs that I am simply ripping and tossing, and am already moved onto box sets. One box of discs down, 5 to go.
Old 01-25-18, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So I'm using EAC to rip to flac and it seems to be going ok. I am fine with most of the tagging it does on its own.

I have a few burned discs that I am simply ripping and tossing, and am already moved onto box sets. One box of discs down, 5 to go.
So there's about 400 CDs per box?
Old 01-25-18, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
So there's about 400 CDs per box?
The 6th box (I am going in backwards order of how they were arranged) had a lot of loose discs, CD-Rs and a number of live recordings (burned boots), so I didn't do anything with the live stuff, as my ripping of Live CDs will happen at a later point. And the 5th box has a lot of box sets, larger packages, etc...but the remaining four (and half) boxes are pretty packed. And they fit on 4, 6ft+ high shelves. So I am figuring at least 400 or so for each of the remaining 4 boxes. I had somewhere between 1500-2000 discs. Some of the sets are 4 or more CDs.

Edited to add, at this point, after just the first box (plus 2 box sets done) I have 273 folders, so that is = to 273 discs, with 160 "top folders" meaning 160 different sets.

Last edited by Chrisedge; 01-25-18 at 04:12 PM.
Old 02-11-18, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is there anything out there that can just retrieve cover art? I have a number of ripped (personally owned) albums in iTunes that are missing artwork. At one point in the past, I used a free trial of Tuneup, but now it looks like you have to register to fully use the trial, which I don't recall doing before.
Old 02-11-18, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by big e View Post
Is there anything out there that can just retrieve cover art? I have a number of ripped (personally owned) albums in iTunes that are missing artwork. At one point in the past, I used a free trial of Tuneup, but now it looks like you have to register to fully use the trial, which I don't recall doing before.
I use mp3tag for this.
Old 03-02-18, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So...I am over a third done. EAC and a MP3tag for when I need to modify stuff.

So now that I am closing in on a end date, is there easy ways to stream all this to an Apple TV or another streaming devices? I've never done Plex or anything like that, but want to figure out a way to play all this , anywhere in the house. (or outside?)

Let me know options!
Old 03-02-18, 07:47 PM
Premium Member

So...I am over a third done. EAC and a MP3tag for when I need to modify stuff.

So now that I am closing in on a end date, is there easy ways to stream all this to an Apple TV or another streaming devices? I've never done Plex or anything like that, but want to figure out a way to play all this , anywhere in the house. (or outside?)

Let me know options!
If you have your tunes loaded into iTunes, AppleTV can stream from that.

Edit: Never mind, I just read back and see that you went with FLAC, iTunes doesn't support that.
Old 03-03-18, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am trying out Plex (Free) for the Apple TV. Seems to work ok. Does it transcode the flacs before streaming? (worried about space, with a massive flac library)

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.