Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Need Help Updating Drivers, Programs, etc

Old 12-16-17, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Need Help Updating Drivers, Programs, etc

So years ago, I would use a core group of programs in order to stay up to date on drivers, programs, virus, etc. They were, IIRC:
  • Secunia
  • Slim Drivers
  • Slim Cleaner
  • Malware Bytes
  • Spybot Search & Destroy

Since I'm setting up a computer for the first time in ages, I'm guessing that a lot of these programs are out of date or maybe no longer supported. Ideally I'd like to find the best programs for updating programs and drivers, and staying on top of Spyware, Malware etc (For security, I've really only been using Windows Defender for the longest time, after using AVG, Avast, etc for years). Is there something additional I should be using?

Thoughts? Did a quick search but didn't really find anything. I just installed a SSD drive and reinstalled Windows and want to completely flatten my existing HD, but want to install these types of programs since my kids are going to start using the laptop soon and based on my friend's experiences, I'm in for a load of spyware, viruses, etc. TIA!
Old 12-20-17, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Need Help Updating Drivers, Programs, etc

Most programs nowadays have their own auto-update mechanism built-in, so I don't bother with third-party monitoring. That said, I think Avast! Free has one built-in:
https://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download

I've never heard of Slim Drivers or Slim Cleaner. Aside from video card drivers, which tend to auto-update if they're downloaded from Nvidia/ATI, I just depend on Windows Update to get updated drivers. I also occasionally use CCleaner for cleaning up files, but not on a regular basis.

Malwarebytes is still up-to-date and good for periodic scans as a supplement to either the built-in Windows Defender in Windows 8/10, or a third-party active scanning anti-virus like Avast!

Spybot Search & Destroy I stopped using altogether. It just blocks known bad URLs and domains. Instead, I rely on a browser plugin in like Adblock Plus to keep away the malware.
Old 12-20-17, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm basically the same as Jay G., other then doing the occasional Malwarebytes scans I just rely on Windows Defender. I don't do anything for drivers other then Windows Updates and like Jay said, Nvidia to notify me when there are new graphics drivers available.
Old 12-23-17, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That's great guys, thanks for the feedback!
Old 01-03-18, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

I rely on Windows Defender too, along with a periodic scan with Malwarebytes Free and Superantispyware Free (its Unwanted Programs utility is pretty handy and its scan finds a couple of things that slip past MB now and then).