Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Can't figure out this internet slowness

Old 11-27-17, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Can't figure out this internet slowness

Been having problems with my PC lately, and it is slowly getting worse.

I use the latest version of chrome, and when I do an internet speed test, it comes back with 20mps, which is what I'm paying for, so that's fine.

But the act of actually loading pages is SUPER slow. I click on a link, the page goes white, and I see this stuff along the bottom of the page:

Connecting to .......
Waiting for ......
Loading .....

For somewhere around 20 seconds or so, before the actual page loads. Usually once the page starts loading, it loads pretty quick, but the "preloading,connecting" part takes FOREVER.
Also, I get a lot more "buffering" when playing videos than I should with this download speed.

I've run malware bytes and have AVG, and both report no errors. So I'm not sure what else I can do at this point. Any ideas?

Last edited by joeblow69; 11-27-17 at 01:02 PM.
Old 11-27-17, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: Can't figure out this internet slowness

Do you see the same behavior with other internet browsers? If it's fine in Edge/IE/Firefox or whatever it should help identify if it's a Chrome issue or something independent of the browser and with your internet or PC altogether.
Old 11-27-17, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Is it all webpages or just certain ones?

I've noticed that some load a lot slower than others.

It could be some kind of javascript issue, where Chrome is hanging on certain scripts.
Old 11-27-17, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So when I was exporting my bookmarks to firefox, I noticed that in chrome I had 2 separate ad blockers running at once (adblock and ublock). I disabled one, and it might be a little faster now. Even with that disabled, I just tried going to humblebumble.com and it just plain didn't load at all, just gave a "website didn't respond" error. Once I hit reload, it loaded fine.

I'll give firefox a try for a while and see if there's an issue.

I do remember a while back I changed my windows settings to use the google dns (8.8.8.8, I think), not sure if that has anything to do with it.
Old 11-27-17, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Launch Internet Options from Control Panel, under the Connections tab - click "LAN Settings" and ensure "Automatically detect settings" is unchecked.

I believe all browsers piggy-back off this setting, and I know in the past it was causing me to have a similar issue when it was checked.
Old 11-27-17, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
Launch Internet Options from Control Panel, under the Connections tab - click "LAN Settings" and ensure "Automatically detect settings" is unchecked.

I believe all browsers piggy-back off this setting, and I know in the past it was causing me to have a similar issue when it was checked.
Hmm, that might have actually done the trick. Seems a lot zippier now. Thanks!
Old 11-27-17, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's also worth checking to make sure you're running the right version of Chrome for your PC -- 32 or 64-bit. I had all sorts of issues when my 64-bit PC ended up with both versions of Chrome installed by accident.
Old 11-29-17, 05:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Javascript is the bane of internet slowness. So much unnecessary crap. I just disable Javascript entirely and everything magically loads lightning fast! For those who absolutely can't live without Javascript, NoScript is worth a try.