Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Is Best Buy’s Geek Squad good, reliable?

Old 11-15-17, 11:31 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Is Best Buy’s Geek Squad good, reliable?

Might be my mom’s only alternative. Anyone use them? Good service? Reasonable price? Do they make u buy their software and stuff? Thanks.
Old 11-15-17, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Is Best Buy’s Geek Squad good, reliable?

It's Best Buy and their LCD employees.

I wouldn't trust them to change the batteries in a remote control.
Old 11-16-17, 08:17 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Aren't they all just local highschool students?
Old 11-16-17, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I mean, competence will vary greatly for anything outside their script, but I'm assuming for the most part they just follow some set of instructions for basic things. It really depends on what you're asking them to do. It probably is overpriced, but what if you can't do it yourself, they're probably as good of an option as any.

I'm sure they will try to upsell you on additional software, protection plans, etc.
Old 11-16-17, 11:32 AM

I recommend you check out Amazon Home Services.

https://www.amazon.com/Computers-Ele...de=10192836011

I bought a new computer recently and wanted a professional to make some upgrades. I selected a job at Amazon Home Services and entered detailed info about what I needed. I received about 30 bids from local tech professionals. I picked the guy I wanted based on positive reviews and his reasonable price. He came out to my house, fixed everything exactly how I wanted. All the billing was handled through Amazon. You know exactly how much you're going to pay for the service. And if you're not happy, you get your money back.

Next time I need to hire a professional to do something, I'm definitely going through Amazon Home Services again.
Old 11-16-17, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
I mean, competence will vary greatly for anything outside their script, but I'm assuming for the most part they just follow some set of instructions for basic things. It really depends on what you're asking them to do. It probably is overpriced, but what if you can't do it yourself, they're probably as good of an option as any.

I'm sure they will try to upsell you on additional software, protection plans, etc.
Yeah, I agree with all this. And honestly, my IT team has hired a few people that worked at Geek Squad in the past Yeah you get some young kids that just are there for a job because they know how to download torrents or whatever, but you'll get some smart folks too. Really just depends on the store.
Old 11-16-17, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My experience with them was bad a I had a computer under warranty that had a bad wireless card. I told the guy exactly the Geek exactly the issue and he said that he needed to run a diagnostic first. I said fine, and his diagnostic came back that the laptop had no issues. I told him that the diagnostic was wrong because the computer won't connect wirelessly to the internet and the Geek started giving me all this sassy attitude asking me how did I know better than the diagnostic. My response was to ask him to connect the computer to the store's wireless signal and he couldn't. He called another Geek and the guy told him to unistall and reinstall the wireless dirver. I told him I had already done that but then a third Geek said that the laptop problem was 100% a software issue. I repeated that no, it's a hardware issue and they simply need to replace the wireless card. After their re-installation didn't work, they ran the diagnostic again. It came back negative, like the computer was fine. I asked if the computer is fine, then why won't it connect? Just change the wireless card. A fourth Geek, I believe a manager, came by and said that they would send it for replacement, but if it isn't the wireless card, I would have to pay for repairs and labor. I replied why, since the computer is under warranty and it includes both labor and parts. He said because I was wasting their time. By this time, a Best Buy manager came by and said to just send the laptop. Guess what? It was the wireless card. They returned the computer to me a week later with no apologies and I told all the Geeks there that I was right and it was the wireless card that was damaged. None of them said anything to me and just walked away. After that experience, I vowed never to get the Geek warranty as they don't know shit.
Old 11-16-17, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, like I said earlier I'm sure they have a script to follow and usually will get in trouble if they deviate from it. Though I've never heard of a guy saying that he was going to charge you because you were wasting their time, you should charge them for wasting yours, that's ridiculous.
Old 11-16-17, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In addition to BB GeekSquad, just about every nearby computer repair shop are run by complete incompetents.

When my old machine shows signs of malfunctioning, I'll either replace the nonfunctioning part or just buy a new machine if it is more than 4 or 5 years old.

Stuff that is easy to replace would be dvd/bluray drives.

If something malfunctioning is on the motherboard, such as a built-in soundcard, ethernet card, etc ... then there's no point in "fixing" it. Also if there's a hard drive crash, there's no point in salvaging it if can't be read again at all.

No point in fixing up old stuff, if I can't do it myself.
Old 11-16-17, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nowadays I don't even bother buying any high-end or even middle-of-the-road computer stuff.

I mostly end up buying low-end entry-level stuff. If it dies early (ie. less than two years), then there's no regrets.

(Warranties seem to be getting shorter and shorter over the years).
Old 11-16-17, 11:00 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Well, guy came over, spent about 2 hours, says it’s much better now. Even fixed her iPhone which was not receiving aol mail anymore. She says the $140 was worth it. She has no idea what he did of course, but said very nice and took care of it. I don’t think that’s too bad...