Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Anyone here make Youtube videos?

Old 11-14-17, 10:27 AM

Anyone here make Youtube videos?

Are there any regular Youtubers here?

I've been thinking about starting a youtube channel. Maybe do some cooking stuff and kitchen product reviews. Mostly as a hobby. But if I can eventually make a few bucks through ad revenue and affiliate referrals, that would be nice.

Anyways, if you're a Youtuber, I was wondering what equipment you use. I'm looking at picking up an inexpensive camera, microphone, editing software and maybe some lighting.

I'd appreciate any input or tips. Thanks.
Old 11-15-17, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Anyone here make Youtube videos?

I had actually thought about making a thread in Other to promote member YouTube channels, but I wasn't sure if that was okay.

Mine is mostly just stupid Call of Duty clips that get no views. I've wanted to do something with YouTube as I really enjoy video editing, but I also don't really want to be in front of a camera.

From what I hear it's really hard to get off the ground, but if you can get a small core of viewers it starts to get easier. Probably because of the algorithm.

I would say definitely start with inexpensive equipment, but if you enjoy doing what you're doing as a hobby, then go for it! As long as you have the time, and don't mind if you don't make money, then have fun! Good luck!
Old 11-16-17, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Anyone here make Youtube videos?

I do YT but nearly all live musical performances so a different case from the OP. Haven't looked into money. I agree with JTH that you should start with basic equipment and see how you like it.

I started out with a small Sony handycam, but wanted an external mic jack so switched to a Panasonic HC-V770, which takes better video. I know still cameras shoot good video, but I'm the last person on earth who still prefers a camcorder for certain convenience features (including light weight). I got an Azden SMX-30 mic that can switch from stereo (which I use nearly all the time) to shotgun, which is good if you're going to be speaking on camera. I edit with dumdum Adobe Premiere Elements, which does the basic editing/titles I need.