Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Noticeable lag with mouse cursor?

Old 11-08-17, 07:33 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Noticeable lag with mouse cursor?

Can anyone help...my mouse seems to be lagging as i move. the physical mouse moves, but the cursor is not following along. jumps around and lags. i've tried several new batteries. is there a way to reset or do something with pc to get this fixed?

thanks in advance.
Old 11-08-17, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Re: Noticeable lag with mouse cursor?

I know this is kinda obvious but is something blocking the laser on the bottom of the mouse? I occasionally get some dog fur or something in there and one or two little hairs can affect the ability of the mouse to track properly. Try blowing it out a bit with some compressed air.
Old 11-08-17, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Could be malware on your system or some program/service working on the background.
Old 11-09-17, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That sort of lag is more likely a result of the PC being laggy than anything to do with the mouse. If it's a Bluetooth mouse, it could be an issue with the Bluetooth stack on the PC.

Otherwise, as Sonic mentioned, if something's putting a lot of load on your PC that could also cause lag. Is the mouse cursor movement that only thing laggy or slow about your PC?
Old 11-09-17, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've recently started noticing this on my work computer. No other programs seem to be seeing this type of lag. It's a corded, optical mouse and I keep the laser hole clean.

What kind of malware detector can I download on my work computer that won't make the IT department mad at me?
Old 11-09-17, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
What kind of malware detector can I download on my work computer that won't make the IT department mad at me?
Pretty much zero, since almost all malware scanners are going to want admin access.

TrendMicro and Kaspersky have free malware scanners that just scan, not actually fix, which means they can't break your PC either. They may have limited scanning abilities without admin rights:
https://www.trendmicro.com/en_us/for...housecall.html
https://usa.kaspersky.com/free-virus-scan

ESET has a malware scanner that explicitly states it doesn't need admin rights to run:
https://www.eset.com/uk/home/online-scanner/

However, if the malware scanner doesn't have admin rights, but the malware does, it may not be able to detect the malware. So non-admin scans are going to be incomplete.

Also, it may not be malware. Just launch Task Manager and check the "Performance" tab and make sure nothing it constantly at 100%. If the CPU, Memory, or Disk are at 100% constantly, something is using up all your resources and slowing everything else do. You can go to the Processes tab and sort by the resource being maxxed out to see what the potential cuplrits are.
Old 11-09-17, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Have you tried to remove the device in Device manger and restart the computer.? Could be a bad driver.
Old 11-11-17, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
Have you tried to remove the device in Device manger and restart the computer.? Could be a bad driver.
there is no option to remove mouse and when i went to scan for new driver when i clicked on mouse, it didn't really do anything. but, no remove option...
Old 11-11-17, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Try buying a new mouse? Get the Logitech M510. Slap some Eneloop batteries on it which should last close to 5 months till the next recharge and you're good to go.
Old 11-11-17, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
Try buying a new mouse? Get the Logitech M510. Slap some Eneloop batteries on it which should last close to 5 months till the next recharge and you're good to go.
really, it could be the mouse? but, it's fairly new. maybe less than a year...
Old 11-12-17, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That should probably be the last resort if you haven't tackled down what the issue could be.
Old 11-12-17, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
there is no option to remove mouse and when i went to scan for new driver when i clicked on mouse, it didn't really do anything. but, no remove option...
What’s the make/model of the mouse, the operating system and do you have admin control?
Old 11-12-17, 11:07 AM

logitech m310, don't know about Admin control, you don't want to know OS...
Old 11-12-17, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Try the mouse in another computer or laptop or something, that should help determine if it's the mouse or your computer.

To me, it sounds more like a connection or sensor issue then malware, maybe try moving the unifying receiver to another USB port, download the latest software from Logitech's website, double check the bottom of your mouse to make sure there's no dirt/dust/grime like Zod mentioned earlier, and if you added or placed any new wireless devices near your computer try moving them or turning them off in case there's interference.
Old 11-12-17, 04:00 PM

Maybe try this:

Problem solved on old mouse: Take apart and put a drop of Wd-40 (or better: De-Oxit) into the 3 micro-switches. Apparently they get corroded and are not super high quality switches to begin with and this removes the oxidation.

https://community.logitech.com/s/fee...100005iR4MTCA0
Old 11-12-17, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm assuming you're on Windows.

Does your mouse have a CPI/DPI button to control the speed?
If not you should be able to adjust it in your mouse settings/control panel. If it's not a Microsoft mouse, you might need to install the manufacturer's software to adjust it.

The CPI/DPI button is #8 on the pic below. There is usually a light that blinks as you cycle through with each press.
Old 11-12-17, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
logitech m310, don't know about Admin control, you don't want to know OS...
It isn't your mouse settings in Windows, is it?

I don't think I've done it since I was using 98, but you can go into mouse settings and change things like how the cursor quickly it moves, accelerates, and stuff like that.

Almost sounds like your settings got changed.
Old 11-12-17, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
It isn't your mouse settings in Windows, is it?

I don't think I've done it since I was using 98, but you can go into mouse settings and change things like how the cursor quickly it moves, accelerates, and stuff like that.

Almost sounds like your settings got changed.
yeah, i moved it all to fast cursor and all that. it seems ok now, but it comes and goes. wish i could delete and reinstall, but we'll see. thanks guys!
Old 11-14-17, 08:06 AM

M325/c on 'sale' at Best Buy for 9.99 this week. Trusty and reliable workhorse of a mouse.
Old 11-16-17, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I can't tell you why it fixed it, but I had the exact same issue about 2-3 weeks ago (approx). I have a Logitech G602 that one day started lagging really bad. Turned out I just needed to move the dongle from a USB3.0 to a USB2.0. Haven't had an issue since I did that. Not sure if a new driver installed and caused this problem. But I haven't seen an issue since I moved it.
Old 11-16-17, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yesterday I got sick of my lag issues and found another mouse in our supply room and tried it for about ten minutes. I could never get the click speed to work right, so I swapped back to my original mouse and it's been working fine since. I'm wondering if the auto-detecting of the USB device did something to the driver and fixed the problem?
Old 11-16-17, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I started seeing the same thing with my new, wireless mouse. Seems to have something to do with videos playing in the background of one of my web browser tabs or something. Maybe a video driver is screwy or something?