Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Dvd recorder blue screen

Old 11-04-17, 11:28 AM

Dvd recorder blue screen

I had to disconnect my dvd recorder and put a new one in. Hooked all back up same way as other. Plays dvd fine. But now all I have is blue screen when I stop a dvd. I use to have it show my cable tv. This was how I would record a show off tv if needed. I would turn on my recorder it would show whatever I was watching and I would hit record onto my disk. But nothing but blue screen. Not sure if I hit button . I tried different input selection but same thing. Also loaded all channel again on recorder. It's probably something simple but driving me nuts. Help
Old 11-04-17, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Dvd recorder blue screen

You might want to post this question over at the DVD Recorders (Standard Def) thread at Avs Forum. Also might help to post brand & model # of dvd recorder.

I still have 2 broken Panny Dvd Recorders with HD's in the closet.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/106-dv...-standard-def/
Old 11-04-17, 01:49 PM

Did you remember to reconnect TV video out to DVR video in?
Old 11-04-17, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would second the AVS recommendation. I still have my DVD recorder somewhere in the closet but haven't burned one using it in about eight years.
Old 11-09-17, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Your cable box video out has to be hooked to one of the DVD Recorder's video inputs.

Are you still using coax out from the cable box? Or RCA cables? If it's coax, make sure the DVD recorder is on the right station, typically channel 3 or 4. If it's RCA, make sure the DVD Recorder is not on channel 3 or 4, and is instead on a video input.

Edit: A "Blue screen" on a VCR or DVD recorder is typically to cover up static when the device is set to a TV channel that isn't broadcasting. If it was set to a video input, you'd likely see a black screen. So either you're on the wrong channel, or you need to set it to a video input.
Old 11-09-17, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kahuna View Post
Also might help to post brand & model # of dvd recorder.
This

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
I still have my DVD recorder somewhere in the closet but haven't burned one using it in about eight years.
And this. My Panasonic is still hooked up to my home theater but I haven't used it in a long time.
Old 11-09-17, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
Your cable box video out has to be hooked to one of the DVD Recorder's video inputs.

Are you still using coax out from the cable box? Or RCA cables? If it's coax, make sure the DVD recorder is on the right station, typically channel 3 or 4. If it's RCA, make sure the DVD Recorder is not on channel 3 or 4, and is instead on a video input.

Edit: A "Blue screen" on a VCR or DVD recorder is typically to cover up static when the device is set to a TV channel that isn't broadcasting. If it was set to a video input, you'd likely see a black screen. So either you're on the wrong channel, or you need to set it to a video input.
Yeah. It sounds like the DVR output isn't making it into the recorder.

The OP needs to check all of their cables to make sure they're all plugged in correctly, and also that the settings on the recorder are set to the proper inputs.

My DVD recorder has composite inputs and s-video input in the back and composite inputs in the front. You have to go into the recorder menu to select which input it takes.
Old 11-13-17, 05:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Who is your cable provider?