Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

How long should it take to quick format an SSD?

Old 10-26-17, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

How long should it take to quick format an SSD?

I just received a new SanDisk 1 TB Ultra 3D SSD from Newegg for my laptop.

While initializing it, I selected the quick format option which I expected to take a few seconds to complete. As the minutes dragged on I started to suspect something was wrong. I was actually in the process of filling out my return claim on Newegg's site when - just before I hit submit - the format completed. It probably took around 5 minutes.

After cloning my old drive to the SSD and moving it to my laptop, I can clearly tell the boot time is drastically shorter and everything seems to be working fine at a zippy pace. Still - I can't help but think I might encounter problems with this new drive in the future.

Did the amount of time it took to quick format it sound normal at all? Should I just go ahead and exchange this with Newegg?
Old 10-26-17, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: How long should it take to quick format an SSD?

It might have to do with sector aligning and / or loading. The idea is to not write sequentally to the drive since it will put more wear to those sectors nearer the "start" of the partition. So, in an effort to wear the drive evenly, it writes psuedo randomly to the drive while partitioning and formatting.

I don't actually own an SSD yet, but this is my concept of why a format might take so long.