Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Amazon Key

Old 10-25-17, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Amazon Key

Let's allow strangers into our home!

Actually, I'm curious to hear what others think. This might be an ideal solution with people that have had stolen packages in the past. We have an alarm system, so no go with us.

https://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=17285120011
Old 10-25-17, 09:03 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Amazon Key

I'm not sure what to think. I hope to get zyzzle's input.
Old 10-25-17, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I already have a lock, but it's Shlage. Would I still be able to get the service but not have to change locks? And get a discount obviously.
Old 10-25-17, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I replaced my garage door operators last year, and they're now on wi-fi (so I get alerts when they are opened/closed/left open) and have an external keypad.
I would give them my garage door entry code. I can even make a temporary code on there.
Old 10-25-17, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Psi View Post
I'm not sure what to think. I hope to get zyzzle's input.
I'm sure he will think this is a great idea!
Old 10-25-17, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

We have a dog so this wouldn't work for us. And our neighborhood is safe and we've never had issues with packages sitting out (sometimes for days).

I like the idea of the tech and really don't have issues with the security aspect, as most homes are easily broken into. This seems like a terrible way to commit a crime, since you have to be an Amazon employee and a video is streaming showing exactly what you're doing. It just wouldn't work for us.
Old 10-25-17, 03:40 PM

Lots of folks on FB, including my brother's best friend are saying nope to this idea of Amazon's. The big issue for me is why does amazon have to have 24/7 access into your home video feed, why not have it set up so the amazon employee wears something that trips a sensor when they use the key and the video is only active up to 30 seconds after they drop off the package and lock your door as they leave?

It is beyond intrusive that they can peek into your inner sanctum at any time of the day. In theory, as package theft becomes more of a thing than it used to be, letting the driver crack open your door, leave the package, and lock the door as they leave and move on to their next delivery is not a wholly impractical idea.

Edited to add, heck...there are so many times when I wish that a fedex/ups driver could open my door, drop off the package(s) and leave. No stressing about what time they are going to redeliver the package, having to wait until Monday because they missed you on a Friday while you were stuck in traffic hell, etc.. Letting delivery drivers into your home (regardless of who they are with) is going to become a thing, but it may take a while before folks stop freaking out about the potential invasion of privacy.

I know folks will cringe at how naive I sound, but I honestly believe that the vast majority of delivery drivers are honest folks who can care less if they are delivering a package to someone who is wealthy or just a middle class schmo looking to get by, all they really care about is not getting fired by making an error like not hitting all your stops at the end of the day, and being able to do so in time to get home to eat and go to sleep at a reasonable time.

Last edited by Inhumans99; 10-25-17 at 03:52 PM.
Old 10-25-17, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Too creepy for me, but I know people who frequently get stuff ripped off and might see it as a solution.
Old 10-25-17, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hell no. I wouldn't let no worker from a store come into my home uninvited. I just find that crazy.
Old 10-25-17, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

One of their workers will end up murdering a family. Then amazon studios will make a horror movie out of it.
Old 10-25-17, 11:57 PM

WOw.! I had to do a double-take, then a triple-take to be sure of what I was reading. Then, coming to my senses, I remembered that April was a long time ago, and that this is no joke. This is a seriously BAD IDEA (tm), not just because it's Amazon, folks! If enough people are stupid or naive enough to give concepts like this a go, we've lost even more individual freedom and privacy.

It's that old slippery slope again, and shit flows downhill. That teenage daughter who's too trusting can, with a touch of Mom's smartphone, seriously compromise her family's safety and indeed very sanctity of their home. The hackers will have a field day with this.

Most neighborhoods are safe, especially for those who have so much disposable income as to splurge on a Prime membership, and the requisite number of purchases to make that worthwhile.

We have a case of Amazon trying to capitalize on people's fears. That's a terrible, abhorrent, and evil thing to do. In reality they're conflating the perhaps 0.1% of packages stolen into some grand fearmongering cascade to try to squeeze a few more bucks out of the perceived naive masses who are their customers.

I actually hope this fails and teaches them to be more humble. It's a cracked-up idea, and I can't imagine even Bezos himself would have greenlighted it.
Old 10-26-17, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It's a pretty big problem in city areas, my neighbors get their deliveries stolen at least once a month or so -- and we're kind of in the suburbs -- so I get it, but I'm not particularly comfortable with giving anyone the ability to open my door.

Regardless, I get stuff shipped to my office.
Old 10-26-17, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

If it's amazon packages, why not just use Amazon locker?
Old 10-26-17, 11:45 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Or some home version of an amazon locker by the mailbox
Old 10-26-17, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Save Ferris View Post
This.
I think Amazon would be better served by increasing the locker program. Whether it is home lockers or more widespread centrally located lockers.
Old 10-26-17, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I agree with the home locker concept. However I see some issues, like our mailboxes are clustered in groups of five. Do we share one? Or does everyone request their own, which could double the number of boxes in the cluster? That would surely generate complaints in a neighborhood full of zyzzles. And what about homeowners association?
Old 10-26-17, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Save Ferris View Post
That (more logical and sensical) way would mean more expense, more fuss, and more legal wranging for Amazon, so of course they won't do THAT.

They'll go for this cheap way (all expenses are on the customer, including the electricity to run the survelllance camera and keyless entry systems) and hope people are stupid and bamboozled enough to let strangers into their homes.
Old 10-26-17, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hell fooking no to that horseshit

Let's just assume that everyone working at amazon is 100% perfect and honest, never has a bad day and would never do anything wrong, ok check, they are trusted and perfect

now lets go ask the people that just hacked experian how easy it would be to gain access to every amazon key

You really can't be serious that people are going to buy into this. Well then again, the vast majority of people are morons, so....

Amazon Locker way better way to go, and they are available in areas with package theft issues.

The only way I could see this being even remotely ok is if you had a double doorway into your house. ONe door that opens to a foyer that then leads to another locked entry door to the house. I recently looked at a house that was setup like this and I really liked the design.
Old 10-26-17, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by 4KRG View Post
The only way I could see this being even remotely ok is if you had a double doorway into your house. ONe door that opens to a foyer that then leads to another locked entry door to the house. I recently looked at a house that was setup like this and I really liked the design.
That's actually GREAT for home design, on so many levels: better insulation, because you've now got an interior wall, not an exterior one (the door) exposed to the outside, so the cushion of air acts as a great insulator against heat / cold, more safety, and less sun exposure.

Wish more homes had fully-enclosed front porches.

Then, even I could see how this idea *might* work. But otherwise, no way. Mr. Hacker is just loving the opportunity, I'm sure.

The first big lawsuits, and Amazon would quickly change its game, or the first person killed or hurt be some disgruntled Amazon employee, etc.
Old 10-26-17, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
The first big lawsuits, and Amazon would quickly change its game, or the first person killed or hurt be some disgruntled Amazon employee, etc.
or "amazon worker let my cat and dog out and now he's lost"
Old 10-26-17, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, honestly so many things could go wrong with this. I would never sign up for this, but I get my stuff sent to my office anyway.
Old 10-27-17, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

But so many things can go right!

Old 10-29-17, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
I agree with the home locker concept. However I see some issues, like our mailboxes are clustered in groups of five. Do we share one? Or does everyone request their own, which could double the number of boxes in the cluster? That would surely generate complaints in a neighborhood full of zyzzles. And what about homeowners association?
Yeah. Maybe only do it for customers that order over a certain dollar amount annually. Or one per cluster of mail boxes with different codes to open it. If you dont have anything in there, your code wont open it. Some days there may be more than one customer with something in there, and what to do if items are not picked up/too big for said locker.
Old 10-30-17, 02:12 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You can set up home lockers similar to Amazon lockers which are already available. They are community lockers (of different sizes to accommodate different size packages).

When you have a package, Amazon will place it into a locker, lock it and send you an electronic code that you use to open it when you get home. A locker is assigned to you only if you have something in it. There is a time limit for retrieval; beyond that, Amazon will take back the package.
Old 12-20-17, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Didn't take long at all to find the first flaw

https://www.wired.com/story/amazon-k...e-your-camera/

although this exact flaw might not be that serious, its only a matter of time before there are more found