Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

SSD prices?

Old 10-19-17, 05:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

SSD prices?

I'm planning on buying a new laptop in a couple months, but it only comes with a 5200 rpm HDD, so I will be buying an m.2 SSD to add to it. I found one that is not too expensive, and it would appear based on camelcamelcamel that it's the lowest it has ever been.

Has anyone been following SSD prices lately? I'm trying to decide if I should buy this now and let it sit until I get my laptop, or wait and hope it doesn't go up. I know memory prices can be very volatile.

UPDATE: Forgot to check Newegg, and they had it on sale for even cheaper than Amazon w/ no tax! So I bit the bullet and ordered. I doubt I'll be sorry.

Last edited by JTH182; 10-19-17 at 05:38 AM.
Old 10-19-17, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: SSD prices?

Actually, I find SSD prices haven't been lowering as quickly as they should. Over the last year or so, they've been pretty stagnant, while mechanical drives have been falling like a rock. Still waiting for the day when I can get a 1TB SSD for < $100. There's still no contest when I can now get an 8tb mechanical drive for ~$139. I think prices have been kept artificially high, because "the industry" doesn't want 'high-end' products like SSDs to become commodity items like mechanical drives have become.

The same thing is true of memory. It has stagnated or even gone up in the last year. I remember the days of 16 GB memory for $49 - 59. Now, 32 GB is around $229-$249.
Old 10-19-17, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There’s a continuing shortage of flash memory so prices aren’t coming down any time soon. Supply has not kept up with demand from phones, PCs, and even server farms. In the past the memory market has experienced boom and bust cycles but I can’t see that bust on the foreseeable horizon. Prices might be cheaper around Black Friday but it’s a good idea to jump on any deals you see. I bought a drive three years ago and the same drive is a little more expensive now.
Old 10-20-17, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

yeah phones are taking up all the memory. PC Ram prices have actually gone up in the last couple years
Old 10-20-17, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Actually, I find SSD prices haven't been lowering as quickly as they should. Over the last year or so, they've been pretty stagnant, while mechanical drives have been falling like a rock. Still waiting for the day when I can get a 1TB SSD for < $100. There's still no contest when I can now get an 8tb mechanical drive for ~$139. I think prices have been kept artificially high, because "the industry" doesn't want 'high-end' products like SSDs to become commodity items like mechanical drives have become.

The same thing is true of memory. It has stagnated or even gone up in the last year. I remember the days of 16 GB memory for $49 - 59. Now, 32 GB is around $229-$249.
Yeah SSD prices aren't dropping much, large flash memory chips are in high demand.

In late 2015 I bought a refurb Crucial M500 960GB SSD - SATA, not m.2 - for $179 from crucial.com. At the time it was a steal for a ~1tb SSD with decent speeds.

The only reason the large SATA SSDs have dropped at all is the rise of m.2.

A 1tb SSD still runs about the same price now.

That's weird, because normally 2 years would mean a 2TB or 4TB for the same price.
Old 10-20-17, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
Yeah SSD prices aren't dropping much...
A 1tb SSD still runs about the same price now.

That's weird, because normally 2 years would mean a 2TB or 4TB for the same price.
Exactly my point, and we're not seeing 1TB SSDs for the magic $100 now, as I expected we would. And, we're not seeing higher-capacity SSDs becoming available, ie no 2tb or 4tb SSDs.

If demand is so "high" why can't production be ramped up? With all the millions upons millions of phones and other gadgets being made, I think it's nuts-and-bolts logic to have a very high supply of your basal materials, ie SSD chips,RAM chips, and batteries.

Seems like something's being artificially limited to keep the price high and the demand high... Collusion, perhaps?
Old 10-22-17, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Exactly my point, and we're not seeing 1TB SSDs for the magic $100 now, as I expected we would. And, we're not seeing higher-capacity SSDs becoming available, ie no 2tb or 4tb SSDs.

If demand is so "high" why can't production be ramped up? With all the millions upons millions of phones and other gadgets being made, I think it's nuts-and-bolts logic to have a very high supply of your basal materials, ie SSD chips,RAM chips, and batteries.

Seems like something's being artificially limited to keep the price high and the demand high... Collusion, perhaps?
Because most memory makers have been burned too many times because of over capacity. This like the oil market. Over the last thirty years many companies have gone bust when the market suddenly tanks. The survivors have either merged or been picked up through bankruptcy. There are currently fewer companies making more chips than ever. No new companies are jumping in knowing the past and the high barriers to entry. They are not going to ramp up production too far beyond their contracted numbers. What happens when people realize that their three year old phone works fine? It happened to PC, and tablets and now phones. Market demand is not unabated. Sure there are other markets like cars and drones but that’s tiny right now. Throw in the fact that raw material prices are high too means companies aren’t looking to add capacity. Eventually demand will go down, or more efficient manufacturing or lower input costs all leading to lower pricing.

I’m not saying there is no collusion (especially in a market where Samsung is involved) but antitrust officials monitor these companies because of past crimes from tech companies (memory, hard drives, dvd drives, LCD panels etc..). These prices seemslike market forces.

Last edited by Kdogg; 10-22-17 at 06:37 PM.