Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

building a new pc - need recommendations

Old 10-18-17, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

building a new pc - need recommendations

my previous pc was built 8 years ago. I am looking to build a new one for some of the following reasons:
1. want to upgrade to a 4K monitor
2. ability to play VR
3. play the latest games
4. generally pc getting slow even for web browsing. keep running low on memory so want to increase my memory from 8 gigs to maybe 16 gigs

My current cpu is Intel core(TM) i5 750 @ 2.67 ghz

is the new 8th gen cpu worth getting?
any recommendations on motherboard, videocard?
how much power will i need?
any other recommendations?
Old 10-18-17, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: building a new pc - need recommendations

I plan on doing similar with a core i7 8th gen and a 1080 ti. But that's all I really have planned out. Of course that's going to be a massive amount of $$.
Old 10-18-17, 04:44 PM
Admin-Thanos

Old 10-18-17, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I’m also thinking of a new build. I’m waiting for Black Friday and Christmas sales. I’m leaning to the new AMD chips. It seems that they have reclaimed the best bang for the buck title. I haven’t used them since Intel’s Core 2 line but from what I’ve read they seem promising. I can use the savings on an upgraded monitor and GPU.
Old 10-18-17, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I moved to a Ryzen 7 1700 a couple months ago and am digging it, although honestly even my old i5-2500k was still working just fine for games. Part of that was just for the fun to build something different after running Intel CPU's for awhile, but for pure gaming the new Intel Coffee Lake CPU's would probably be the best bet.

I'm not a fan of getting a 4K monitor for PC Gaming (yet), unless you're really going all out with a 1080ti or two. Hitting that native 4k resolution at a good enough frame rate still seems rough. I think a good 1440p monitor with FreeSync or G-Sync is a fine alternative, even ultra wide too if you're in to that, but maybe that's just me.
Old 11-19-17, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

any recommendations on DDR4 memory?
they range from DDR4 2133 to DDR4 4600
What is the sweet spot in terms of costs?
How much of a difference will the faster speed help?
Old 11-19-17, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Depends on the CPU, since AMD or Intel chips have a bit of a difference in memory scaling performance. I know AMD's Ryzen his some good gains with faster memory, but are a little weird compatibility wise in hitting DDR4-3200. Intel's Coffee Lake gains aren't quite as big with faster RAM.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/...alysis/11.html

I think 3200 is where i'd go for in terms of performance. I like Corsair or G-Skill.
Old 11-23-17, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

im looking at cases now.
If the motherboard has front USB 3.1 but the case indicates Front 3.0 connectors. Will I still get 3.1 speed in the front?
Old 11-25-17, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by timewaster View Post
im looking at cases now.
If the motherboard has front USB 3.1 but the case indicates Front 3.0 connectors. Will I still get 3.1 speed in the front?
The wiring is the same, so you will get 3.1 speed.

Unfortunately, now is not a great time to build a PC because RAM prices are high due to supply issues, GPU prices are high due to bitcoin miners, and Coffee Lake motherboards are limited to the costlier Z370 chipsets. One of the ironies is that getting Freesync technology (which AMD uses) in a monitor is less expensive than NVidia's GSync, but AMD cards have been more affected by the price increases.

That said, prices on GPUs are coming down, and apparently Samsung is going to ramp up production on RAM soon. The cheaper Coffee Lake motherboards are supposed to be out in Q1 of next year, but that could be anywhere from early January to late March.
Old 12-08-17, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i didn't realize the new 8th gen cpus do not come with a stock cooler. I installed it anyway just to see if it works but it won't even try to start up.
Does the motherboard check if you have a cooler installed and won't start without one?
Old 12-08-17, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by timewaster View Post
i didn't realize the new 8th gen cpus do not come with a stock cooler. I installed it anyway just to see if it works but it won't even try to start up.
Does the motherboard check if you have a cooler installed and won't start without one?
Iím not sure any desktop CPU will even post without a heat sink or cooler. Or I should say none Iíve worked on since the Penguin II cartridge. Temps shoot up pretty fast and you can fry the CPU very quickly without proper cooling.
Old 12-08-17, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the case fan isn't kicking off either. if the cpu or memory is bad/missing from the motherboard, wouldn't the fan still run?
I'm thinking now maybe i didnt wire the power front panel correct.
I don't think its the power supply since I'm seeing the motherboard LED lighting up