DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-13-17, 08:53 AM   #1
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Looking for another tablet...New Amazon Fire or...

Hello and Good Morning

I currently have a 3rd Generation of a Amazon Fire HD and lately I've had an issue where it sometimes just turns off even when there is still half-a-battery charge left. No idea why but between it and sometimes not even loading up...stuck at the loading screen forever...I'm thinking about grabbing another tablet.

I like the Amazon Fire with the Kindle books and Amazon in general and this 3rd Gen Model has served me well but I am open to other suggestions and recommendations. If there is one serious beef I have with the Fire is....No Google Playstore where some apps and games exist I like that's not in Amazon. Not a serious deal killer because on the other side is the cost of the Fire Tablets is just plain hard to beat. I don't really need to or care about forking down $180+ for a tablet when I use it for reading, searching, a few apps and games.

Besides the Fire (current gen) are there some others to look at? Thanks for any suggestions and all...

"If there's nothing wrong with me, then there must be something wrong with the universe" -Dr. Crusher-Star Trek
Old 10-13-17, 05:01 PM   #2
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Looking for another tablet...New Amazon Fire or...

Unless things have changed you can side load the Play Store onto the Fire to get access to the apps.
Old 10-13-17, 06:58 PM   #3
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Looking for another tablet...New Amazon Fire or...

Haven’t been in the tablet game much, but a few weeks ago I bought the Fire HD 8 when it was on sale for $59.99. I’m very impressed it and I read mostly from the Amazon Kindle store, so it made a lot so sense to get one. The last one I got was the first release of the Fire. I think it’s great value and definitely serves its purpose.

Side note - I got it in the mail and a few hours later I got another one. We checked to make sure it wasn’t misdelivered, and it wasn’t. I actually chatted with Amazon to let them know, and they just said it sounds like an order mistake, and to accept with their apologies. So in a sense, $25 for a Fire 8 makes it a great value. After all these years, I still can’t justify spending so much on an iPad. My iPhone is enough for that.