Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

WiFi Security

Old 09-18-17, 12:09 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

WiFi Security

A local WiFi connection I use is set to WEP security with a 10 digit password. I have the password but not access to the computer attached to the router.

Is it possible to bump up the security to WPA2 (keeping the same password) remotely?
Old 09-18-17, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: WiFi Security

Does the router have an app that you can access via your phone? That's how I change mine.
Old 09-18-17, 12:22 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

I'll have to see. I'm thinking that the router login password is different from the wifi password.. :/
Old 09-18-17, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Save Ferris View Post
I'll have to see. I'm thinking that the router login password is different from the wifi password.. :/
I would hope so...

If you only have access to the wireless network and not the router password, you won't be able to change the security of the router. Otherwise anyone with access to a network could change the router configuration.
Old 09-18-17, 01:33 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

I downloaded the netgear app and was able to change it. I used the stock admin password lol..

--but it didn't seem to take. Perhaps I'll try the web interface? Or perhaps theres something else preventing it?

Web interface worked fine. Wow -- reminder to folks to change your router admin login if you havent done it!

Last edited by Save Ferris; 09-18-17 at 03:01 PM.
Old 09-18-17, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If the hardware supports WPA2, you'll be able to change to it from WEP, but you'll have to re-enter the password on everything, as the client devices won't remember through the change from WEP to WPA2. You should definitely change it, as WEP is fundamentally broken. I can't even remember the last time I saw a network running WEP.

I'd just try the web admin interface for the router and do it there. What's the model of the Netgear? We might be able to be more helpful with that.
Old 09-18-17, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd just like to know why you're messing around with a "local WiFi" connection that you use? I would assume other people use it too?
Old 09-18-17, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
I'd just like to know why you're messing around with a "local WiFi" connection that you use? I would assume other people use it too?
He's tired of Penny leaching off of the WiFi!
Old 09-18-17, 04:39 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Yep. It is one that has been made available as a convenience to me and others by the person who runs it--he knows a lot about engineering but not so much about wifi. I updated the security to WPA2 and put the same password in there.
Old 09-18-17, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yep. It is one that has been made available as a convenience to me and others by the person who runs it--he knows a lot about engineering but not so much about wifi. I updated the security to WPA2 and put the same password in there.
Did you tell him to change his router password? Odd that he wouldn't just change the security himself.
Old 09-18-17, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Congratulations, by changing the security from WEP to WPA2 without telling anyone, you've effectively made the network "your" network, as even if the password isn't changed, nobody else will be able to log on to the network now, unless they change the security type manually on all devies they used to connect to that SSID! This applies to everybody who WAS using that SSID.

I wouldn't have bothered trying to "beef" up security yourself. Perhaps the person who set it to WEP knows his reasons for doing so better than you do. Should have contacted that person FIRST before jumping the gun, as you've probably pissed off a lot of people now by making your own little "change."
Old 09-18-17, 08:29 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

lol well I actually did tell him, thats how I found out the security was 'low'. I had a device that warned me that it was low and made a 'security recommendation'. I showed him and he said he didnt want to bother.

Several people noticed that they had to log in again, but everyone who had access already had the password and used it to log in again. No harm no foul?
Old 09-18-17, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No harm no foul?
You're dealing with zyzzle here. Not only is he calling foul, he's prepping a "Complaining about Save Ferris" thread right now!
Old 09-18-17, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Mikael79 View Post
You're dealing with zyzzle here. Not only is he calling foul, he's prepping a "Complaining about Save Ferris" thread right now!
Nah, his explanation actually makes sense, so no misdeeds have been done, it seems, so he gets a pass from me!

I actually know some folks who use WEP intentionally, it's their indirect means of instigating Wi-fi neighborhood parties for those in the know. It's all "shared" bandwidth anyway. That's the ISPs dirty little secret, secret, though!