DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-12-17, 07:15 PM   #101
DVD Talk Hero

Re: iPhone 8

What's the improvement from the 7 Plus to the 8 Plus? Slightly better ffc, improved portrait mode but same f 2.8/1.8 and only primary ois, better cpu of course. Glass back (not sure that I would classify that as an improvement) and wireless charging. Anything else?
Old 09-12-17, 07:25 PM   #102
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post

And yes, the series 1/2 Apple Watches have their own separate chargers and I'm fine using it. However given that the watch already uses wireless charging, it really makes no sense that the older watches cannot be charged on the air power accessory, except as a way to force people to upgrade to a new watch before they really need to.
I'm wondering if the new watch is Qi compatible along with Apple's propriety wireless charging tech too? That would explain why the new air power mat wouldn't work.
Old 09-12-17, 07:35 PM   #103
DVD Talk Legend

It's a nice phone but nowhere near $1000.
Old 09-12-17, 07:43 PM   #104

I've been waiting for the X so I'll order it on the 27th and hope to get it by the end of year, preferably on the 3rd (launch day)

Kind of bummed about the AirPod and AW 3. Wasn't aware it was restricted to that model

Mmmm wonder how much I can get for my AW series 2 SS
Old 09-12-17, 09:15 PM   #105
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like Apple is playing catch-up again.
Old 09-12-17, 09:20 PM   #106
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post
What's the improvement from the 7 Plus to the 8 Plus? Slightly better ffc, improved portrait mode but same f 2.8/1.8 and only primary ois, better cpu of course. Glass back (not sure that I would classify that as an improvement) and wireless charging. Anything else?
The glass back and wireless charging go hand in hand. You can't have wireless charging with a metal case.
Go in peace! I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evil.
My DVDs
Old 09-12-17, 09:25 PM   #107
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Yes, the series 1/2 Apple Watches have their own separate chargers and I'm fine using it. However given that the watch already uses wireless charging, it really makes no sense that the older watches cannot be charged on the air power accessory, except as a way to force people to upgrade to a new watch before they really need to.
Oh, I understand, on in some ways I agree with you. But on the other hand, the charging technology in the older Watch is not Qi compatible, so they would have to make a special place on the mat just for it. That wouldn't be very cost effective.

Besides, our Watches are over two years old. There are days now when mine doesn't even last the day without needing a second charge, where it used to sometimes last two days. So I'm due for an upgrade anyway.
My DVDs
Old 09-12-17, 09:37 PM   #108
Time Lord

The battery on mine still seems fine, but then I turned off a lot of notifications because I hated my wrist buzzing every three seconds.
Old 09-12-17, 09:41 PM   #109
Time Lord

By the way, for anyone on the Apple upgrade program, you can select the iPhone 8 you want in advance on the Apple Store app and get pre-approved for financing. When the preorders go live on the 15th all you have to do is go back to the store app and finalize the order. That’s what I did to prep for the 8 Plus.
Old 09-12-17, 10:20 PM   #110
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd love the get the iPhone X but the potential nosebleed price for the 256 GB model kind of concerns me. I may end up getting a "regular" iPhone 8 256 GB model instead (at least at the T-Mobile store, they'll allow me to put up half the cost and I can pay off the rest quickly in only a few months).

I reject your reality and substitute my own! -- Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Old 09-12-17, 11:02 PM   #111

I know it's all rumors but some are popping up that if not ordered within 2-3 minutes we may not get the X until 2018. That's ridiculous if that's what it comes to
Old 09-13-17, 07:07 AM   #112
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Regarding the battery, I noticed the mentioned the X will be 2 hours better than the 7. Does that mean the 8 also has the upgraded battery? I'm guessing they didn't want to spell it out to get people more hyped for the X?

Also, for those talking about the price, the 7Plus was no different when it launched. The 256gb model was 1149. I'd expect $999 to be the new norm for flagship phones moving forward.
Old 09-13-17, 07:11 AM   #113
DVD Talk Hero

I'm not really sure what the point of keeping the 6s around is. Just to keep the price of the 7 high?

The 6s, the 7, and the 8 just seem so similar that I don't really see the point of keeping all three around. They're visually similar and the specs aren't all that different.

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 09-13-17, 07:26 AM   #114
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Regarding the battery, I noticed the mentioned the X will be 2 hours better than the 7. Does that mean the 8 also has the upgraded battery? I'm guessing they didn't want to spell it out to get people more hyped for the X?
The 8 has the same battery life as the 7, and the 8 Plus the same as the 7 Plus. The 7/8 Plus actually has slightly better battery life than the X, when looking at internet and video times, which is probably why the comparison specifically mentioned the 7.

https://www.apple.com/iphone-x/specs/
Quote:
Talk time (wireless): Up to 21 hours
Internet use: Up to 12 hours
Video playback (wireless): Up to 13 hours
Audio playback (wireless): Up to 60 hours
https://www.apple.com/iphone-8/specs/
Quote:
iPhone 8
Lasts about the same as iPhone 7
Talk time (wireless): Up to 14 hours
Internet use: Up to 12 hours
Video playback (wireless): Up to 13 hours
Audio playback (wireless): Up to 40 hours

iPhone 8 Plus
Lasts about the same as iPhone 7 Plus
Talk time (wireless): Up to 21 hours
Internet use: Up to 13 hours
Video playback (wireless): Up to 14 hours
Audio playback (wireless): Up to 60 hours
https://www.apple.com/iphone-7/specs/
Old 09-13-17, 08:31 AM   #115
DVD Talk Hero

It will be interesting how it works out in real life... Most would say that the iPhone 7 Plus gets significantly better battery life than the iPhone 7, more than what the difference in the specs indicate
Old 09-13-17, 09:20 AM   #116
DVD Talk Legend

I'll probably go with the X.

Can someone tell me how the new phone every year thing works on Apple.com and Verizon wireless? I'm willing to pay $50 per month for 2 years as my old Verizon Edge was $45 per month but does that mean I have to wait 2 years until it's paid off or can I upgrade next year when the new XI comes out and still keep paying that $50?
Old 09-13-17, 09:21 AM   #117

You can upgrade again next year, the monthly payment will be adjusted based on the price difference of the two phones.
Old 09-13-17, 09:23 AM   #118
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You can upgrade after a year. Basically you just never stop paying for a phone; it's more like a rental. You don't get anything back when you trade the phone in; you just get the new one and continue to pay the monthly cost.
Old 09-13-17, 09:34 AM   #119
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
You can upgrade after a year. Basically you just never stop paying for a phone; it's more like a rental. You don't get anything back when you trade the phone in; you just get the new one and continue to pay the monthly cost.
Okay so pretty much what I do know. I mean I don't trade phones in but they just sit in a drawer somewhere collecting dust.

Come to think of it I never adjusted my auto pay with Verizon to account for the fact that my Edge plan was paid off so I've been paying an extra $45 a month and I have a credit. I do want to go through Apple though instead of Verizon so I can get Applecare instead of the horrible insurance Verizon provides.
Old 09-13-17, 09:44 AM   #120
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManfromCyrodiil View Post
I know it's all rumors but some are popping up that if not ordered within 2-3 minutes we may not get the X until 2018. That's ridiculous if that's what it comes to
That is nothing more than conjecture. The phone doesn't even go up for pre-order until 10/27. That may end up being the case, or it may not. It depends on demand and the number of phones available on release day.
My DVDs
Old 09-13-17, 09:45 AM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManfromCyrodiil View Post
This is Apple, not Nintendo.
Old 09-13-17, 10:29 AM   #122
DVD Talk Godfather

There's been a lot of rumors about how scarce those OLED screens are, so coupled with the demand for the new design and people wanting the highest of the high end, I actually wouldn't be surprised if any shipments past the initial orders don't happen until after the holidays.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 09-13-17, 07:58 PM   #123
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
This is Apple, not Nintendo.
They don't control the supply chain. The OLED screens are supposed to be the scarcest part of that phone. Certainly possible there could be long waits for the phone.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 09-13-17, 08:20 PM   #124
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
They don't control the supply chain. The OLED screens are supposed to be the scarcest part of that phone. Certainly possible there could be long waits for the phone.
Samsung makes the OLED display for the iPhone X. There are not many manufacturers, and users, of OLED screens. LG just started with their V30 released last week. (Almost?) everyone else is still using LCD.
Old 09-14-17, 08:51 AM   #125
DVD Talk Legend

Is there going to be an 4.7" iPhone SE 2 next year?