Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Good old fast Firefox is back

Old 01-03-18, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Good old fast Firefox is back

Even on older pre-FF57 versions of Firefox, I was in the habit of waiting 30 seconds or so before I started any browsing.
Old 01-03-18, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
I noticed that sometimes U-block origen craps out especially when I go to Ebay. Then I see all the AD banners that I blocked and quickly I realized that U-block is not working and something is wrong. When I click on the U-Block icon it won't open. Then when I close Firefox and reopen, a message pops up telling me that that Firefox needs to close first.

This happens quite rarely, it's a little nuisance.
My crap out is usually noscript, where it doesn't load any of my settings.
Old 01-03-18, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So after the cpu usage falls to 0%, the first thing I check is whether noscript loaded properly.
Old 01-03-18, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by morriscroy View Post
My crap out is usually noscript, where it doesn't load any of my settings.
I haven't had any issues with no-script but then again I don't have any special settings on it in terms of whitelisting sites by domain etc

So after the cpu usage falls to 0%, the first thing I check is whether noscript loaded properly.
Do you think that checking the option in Firefox for "Use Recommended Performance Settings" would have an effect on what you are experiencing with big hog ups? I have mine checked and clicking on Start Task Manager I see 4 processes:

Old 01-03-18, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Do you think that checking the option in Firefox for "Use Recommended Performance Settings" would have an effect on what you are experiencing with big hog ups? I have mine checked and clicking on Start Task Manager I see 4 processes:

I don't believe so.

Just now, I tried Nightly with a different number of processes. (I usually max it out to 7 processes, instead of using "recommended performance settings").

With the "1 processes" setting, the cpu hog after invocation is still there. Also tried 3 and 5 processes. Nothing changed much in terms of the cpu hog.
Old 01-03-18, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't believe so.

Just now, I tried Nightly with a different number of processes. (I usually max it out to 7 processes, instead of using "recommended performance settings").

With the "1 processes" setting, the cpu hog after invocation is still there. Also tried 3 and 5 processes. Nothing changed much in terms of the cpu hog.
Firefox is Jabba The Hut.
Old 01-03-18, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Firefox isn't the only Jabba.

Apparently the current beta and development versions of Brave, also have this cpu hog issue after invocation. I also wait a minute or so, before doing any browsing on Brave.
Old 01-03-18, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Firefox isn't the only Jabba.

Apparently the current beta and development versions of Brave, also have this cpu hog issue after invocation. I also wait a minute or so, before doing any browsing on Brave.
Speaking of Brave, the mobile version crashes once in a awhile and it won't start up unless I restart my phone. It does it randomly I can't explain why since things are smooth on my phone. I remember mobile chrome used to do the same thing.

I might have to reinstall Firefox beta but Firefox is so damn sluggish on mobile I don't even know why Mozilla even bothers.
Old 01-04-18, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

On FF Nightly + beta (or rc) versions of noscript and ublockorigin, there's less crapping out.

Also the initial "Jabba" cpu hogging only spikes up to around 50-60% now, before it falls to 0%
Old 01-04-18, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Lets hope the next Firefox 58 update (probably later this month) has fixed most of the crapping out on noscript and/or ublockorigin, and lessened the initial Jabba cpu hog.

Currently the setup I have for the computer illiterates I live with, is FF57 and an older FF56 setup. Basically if they want to see what FF57 is like, on web sites which don't require any verification.

For a few web sites which requires credentials verification, they're still using FF56 for such sites.
Old 01-04-18, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Speaking of Brave, the mobile version crashes once in a awhile and it won't start up unless I restart my phone. It does it randomly I can't explain why since things are smooth on my phone. I remember mobile chrome used to do the same thing.
Which Brave version are you using?
Old 01-04-18, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Lets hope the next Firefox 58 update (probably later this month) has fixed most of the crapping out on noscript and/or ublockorigin, and lessened the initial Jabba cpu hog.
I sure hope so. I'm looking forward to 58, especially the privacy enhancements of fingerprinting/spoof user agent.

Which Brave version are you using?
Old 01-04-18, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Also the initial "Jabba" cpu hogging only spikes up to around 50-60% now, before it falls to 0%
Blah. This 50-60% figure is actually misleading.

It turns out when I have Windows Defender and other hogs running in the background, the Firefox initial Jabba cpu hog ends up only with the 50-60% figure.

When I invoke Firefox Nightly without any other cpu/memory hogs running in the background, it turns out that initial Firefire Jabba cpu hog shoots up to 95%+

So Firefox Nightly hasn't dealt with this initial Jabba cpu hog yet.
Old 01-05-18, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I put Firefox onto my new Windows 10 cheap-o (2GB RAM, Celeron, SSD) with ABP+, NoScript, and Video Download Helper extensions.

It runs fast and smooth, and blows Edge out of the water.
Old 01-12-18, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My FF is incredibly slow. Considering ditching it for Opera which has been a lot better, especially when opening, composing and deleting e-mails.
Old 01-18-18, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Firefox gets another speed boost in FF58 which releases next week (Tuesday 23rd)

https://hacks.mozilla.org/2018/01/ma...ring-compiler/
Old 01-18-18, 08:32 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Mozilla keeps tossing out these little snippets suggesting a speedier Firefox is coming, but it never seems to actually get here. Real world usage reports less than optimum performance every time. So this has to be yet another "I'll believe it when the good reports start rolling in" for me.
Old 03-19-18, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Current versions of stable FF (59.0.+) and noscript + ublockorigin seems to have solved most of the crapping out issues, and the Jabba-the-Hut cpu-hog issue isn't quite as intrusive.

Though out of habit, I still wait 30-45 seconds to when the Jabba cpu-hog falls to zero before I start browsing.
Old 03-19-18, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

v59 is working good for me.
Old 03-19-18, 06:57 PM

Is NoScript really needed if I'm running NortonAV and MalwareBytes Premium? I'm also using the AdBlock Plus add-on.

I'm setting it up on my new computer, and it's such a PITA. Every time I visit a new site, the page doesn't load, and I have to whitelist everything. Is it worth all the trouble, or is it just overkill?

Last edited by TheBigDave; 03-19-18 at 07:20 PM.
Old 03-19-18, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
Is NoScript really needed if I'm running NortonAV and MalwareBytes Premium? I'm also using the AdBlock Plus add-on.

I'm setting it up on my new computer, and it's such a PITA. Every time I visit a new site, the page doesn't load, and I have to whitelist everything. Is it worth all the trouble, or is it just overkill?
MalwareBytes Premium is way too excessive and a strain on the computer. It's way too paranoia of a program. I have a premium license but I deactivated back to the regular version.

The no-script does a great job because you allow which sites you want it to run all their crap on the page.
Old 03-19-18, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post

Afraid that how's NoScript works; addons like that one and the similar UMatrix are more for savvy Internet security users. Installing either one will break a lot of web sites, and you have to have the patience and knowledge to figure out what exactly is breaking it. However, once you do get the hang of it, it's a great program to protect your Internet security and privacy, combined with your anti-virus and MalwareBytes (although I use the free version).

I stopped using NoScript many years ago, not because it was a bad add-on, but because I didn't have the patience for it. You also have to take into consideration if any of your loved ones use the same browser that has NoScript installed.
Old 03-19-18, 10:28 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm using Adblock and uBlock Origin, so far I've only had to disable uBlock on 2 sites, never disable Adblock, seems to work pretty well by default. Using Bitdefender Free Edition for my AV, Malwarebytes and Emsisoft Emergency Kit Starter (free) for manual scans periodically, they never find anything. More than that seems like overkill to me (hell, what I use may already be overkill). Still using Pale Moon as my browser of choice.
Old 03-20-18, 03:20 AM

I gave up on NoScript after a couple hours. It was driving me crazy. Every site is so dependent on javascript. And even when I whitelisted everything, it screwed up some websites.

I'd used NoScript in the past, and I don't remember it being this annoying. Maybe it's just the new version that I don't like. The previous version seemed easier to use.
Old 03-20-18, 04:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The new version of NoScript is a pain in the ass.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.