Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Good old fast Firefox is back

Old 11-27-17, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Good old fast Firefox is back

Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
Gonna have to eat my words here and say that FF57 on mobile sucks right now it just stopped loading pages.
Does this happen with the current Firefox Nightly (FF59+), or FF58 beta versions?
Old 11-27-17, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by morriscroy View Post
Does this happen with the current Firefox Nightly (FF59+), or FF58 beta versions?
Good question! I haven't tried those out. In fact it never crossed my mind. I might download those. Thanks!
Old 11-29-17, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Ugh. New Firefox (57.0) SUCKS. They keep saying it's supposed to be faster, but it is literally 5x slower than the version I had before. Trying to see if I can roll it back...
I upgraded last night & what a mistake. Completely different look, worst yet it removed addons/extentions like download me now & my favorite youtube
video download. I can't even install these any more. Want to go back to the old version.
Old 11-29-17, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kahuna View Post
I upgraded last night & what a mistake. Completely different look, worst yet it removed addons/extentions like download me now & my favorite youtube
video download. I can't even install these any more. Want to go back to the old version.
You have to install Firefox ESR if you want to stay updated with security fixes otherwise your browser will face vulnerabilities with the old version 56.

Then after June 26 2018 support for ESR and XUL extensions will end.
Old 11-30-17, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Everything's been fine for me on Nightly except for webrender, which is still in testing, so that's to be expected.
Old 12-01-17, 02:07 PM

57 is Great App
Old 12-02-17, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A word of warning about Firefox 57.0: clear the browser cache at least once a week. I've noticed that Firefox 57.0 starts to slow down after a few weeks, and clearing the cache made it speedy again. Maybe Mozilla need to improve the browser cache handling policies?
Old 12-05-17, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RayChuang View Post
A word of warning about Firefox 57.0: clear the browser cache at least once a week. I've noticed that Firefox 57.0 starts to slow down after a few weeks, and clearing the cache made it speedy again.
I'm in the habit of running all web browsers inside a sandbox, and deleting everything in the sandbox when I'm done. This means all the excess files generated by FF in the cache, and other files which are not mandatory for functionality.

(More generally on deleting junk systematically).

For deleting other junk files on the system, I'm gradually moving on to programs like bleachbit and eventually dropping stuff like ccleaner.

Back in the day, I thought bleachbit was somewhat cryptic to use and overkill. Fast forward to the present, I'm gradually coming around to the notion of using bleachbit at a non-admin user level.

Bleachbit is not user friendly like ccleaner. But with the ccleaner boondoggle awhile ago with the program being hacked at possibly an "insider" level, I'm somewhat less inclined to use ccleaner in the future.
Old 12-05-17, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I also tried running this new noscript with umatrix+ublockorigin, where noscript only handles XSS attacks (so far).
Lately I've been looking for websites which have XSS type stuff, whether benign or malevolent.

One popular website which has XSS type showing up all the time (which I didn't realized previously), is imdb. NoScript is catching XSS immediately on imdb two times. One appears to be benign on the surface (which I get noscript to "sanitize"), while the other appears to be advertising related (which I get noscript to block).
Old 12-06-17, 06:09 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

In this day and age, I think applications are extremely hackable until the holes are patched. I'd been running CCleaner for years and was surprised nobody had tried to hack them before this. CCleaner was quick to patch the hole and we've moved on from that. It didn't scare me away from CCleaner. If I stopped using every application that was ever hacked, there would be little left to use. And it's only going to get worse if I'm to believe what I read. There are a lot of psychotic assholes out there with the knowledge to wreak havok. Even Macs aren't safe anymore. Linux is next.
Old 12-11-17, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kd5 View Post
Even Macs aren't safe anymore. Linux is next.
If I was paranoid enough, I would be probably be running openbsd with several layers of firewalls on several different machines.
Old 12-16-17, 05:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Every one should check their add-ons for "Looking Glass." It's an add-on that was installed on a lot or all users without their permission as a...promo or something related to "Mr. Robot." A lot of users are, rightfully, pissed.
Old 12-16-17, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by EinCB View Post
Every one should check their add-ons for "Looking Glass." It's an add-on that was installed on a lot or all users without their permission as a...promo or something related to "Mr. Robot." A lot of users are, rightfully, pissed.
Wonder if it was target. I use Firefox daily but only the latest released version and didn't see it.
Old 12-16-17, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by EinCB View Post
Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
Wonder if it was target. I use Firefox daily but only the latest released version and didn't see it.
Solution: https://www.ghacks.net/2017/12/16/fi...on-what-it-is/
Old 12-18-17, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This thread is built on a kernel of lies! Or not, I dunno. Firefox is still slow for me these days.
Old 12-18-17, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Over the course of the year Firefox has enjoyed a growing relationship with the Mr. Robot television show and, as part of this relationship, we developed an unpaid collaboration to engage our users and viewers of the show in a new way: Fans could use Firefox to solve a puzzle as part of the alternate reality game (ARG) associated with the show.

Fans of the show enabled this game in Firefox by turning on the “Looking Glass” add-on effect via preferences setting. When enabled, and the user navigated to Mr. Robot’s ARG page, a clue necessary to advance the puzzle would be revealed. When enabled, the add-on would also invert text from a list of words related to the shows themes, throughout the web for a few seconds.

Instead of giving users the choice to install this add-on, we initially pushed an update to Firefox that installed the “Looking Glass” add-on for English speaking users. This add-on was installed and set to ‘OFF’ and made no changes in the user experience unless it was explicitly turned on by a user, but it was added. Even when turned on no user data was collected or shared.

The rollout did not meet the standards to which we hold ourselves causing concern that was surfaced through our Firefox community. We received feedback regarding the transparency of the rollout and the processes that govern our auto-install mechanism for add-ons. In response we immediately started our internal review, updated the add-on with a better description and began the process to move the Mr. Robot Looking Glass tie-in to the add-ons site as a regular WebExtension. We also shared the source in a public repository.

We’re sorry for the confusion and for letting down members of our community. While there was no intention or mechanism to collect or share your data or private information and The Looking Glass was an opt-in and user activated promotion, we should have given users the choice to install this add-on.

We recognize that real engagement means listening to feedback. We took immediate actions to correct this, and we are conducting a formal internal review to ensure our technical, legal and communications processes and policies are updated for the future.

We take seriously our responsibility to provide a trusted, secure platform for your online life and will always work to maintain the trust of our users.

We’re doing a post-mortem and are going to make changes to our processes. These will be public and we will link to a public list of process changes, likely mid-January.
https://blog.mozilla.org/firefox/upd...ing-glass-add/
Old 12-18-17, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I find this latest incident hilarious. Here we have Firefox trying to take a chunk of the browser pie with Quantum as it's gaining momentum, then they do this stunt that now will set them back.

Welps, you live and learn I guess, some people don't know what to do with power, they think they can rule everyone and everything. It's fun when it backfires.
Old 12-19-17, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That first sentences makes it sound like Firefox and the Mr. Robot show are sleeping together.
Old 12-29-17, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In regard to noscript + ublockorigin, I've been figuring out some settings for various FF57 setups, such as for the computer illiterates I live with.

For the computer illiterates, I've come up with settings which only require them to use the noscript "temporary all allow" button, which only allows enough stuff such that pages can be read and/or watching online videos on youtube, bbc, etc ...

On ublock origin, I block all third party frames and allow ublock to mop up all the cosmetic junk.

On noscript, the default site settings don't allow anything. Not even scripts. (Basically the same settings as "untrusted"). Also no default "trusted" sites.

On the "trusted" site settings, I only allow scripts, fonts, fetch, and frame. This seems to be minimal and good enough to handle most online video based web sites like youtube, BBC, etc ...

I'm still fine tuning this, to see whether any of the other stuff in the "trusted" sites have to be activated for pages to be readable and not cluttered with junk.

For my own personal noscript settings, the noscript "trusted" site settings only allow scripts and fonts. For video based sites, I'll turn on fetch and/or frame manually. I'm in the habit of only selectively turning on a minimum of "trusted" sites, such that a page is minimally functional (mostly for reading).
Old 12-29-17, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another setup I've been using are the beta (or rc) versions of noscript + ublockorigin on Firefox Nightly.

For this setup, I've been using ublockorgin to do all the heavy lifting. So almost everything is blocked by default except images.

Noscript in this particular setup is currently used to catch XSS. (Probably also clickjacking in future updates). So "scripts allowed globally" is checked, which allows most stuff passing through unmodified.
Old 12-29-17, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

@morriscroy

Just an idea and suggestion, wouldn't it be best if those that are using your computer would have separate FF profiles? That way it won't affect the way you have things set? But I'm not sure if that means that you can also have separate no-script and ublock origen settings for each profile. That would be great however.
Old 12-29-17, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
@morriscroy

Just an idea and suggestion, wouldn't it be best if those that are using your computer would have separate FF profiles? That way it won't affect the way you have things set? But I'm not sure if that means that you can also have separate no-script and ublock origen settings for each profile. That would be great however.
Definitely.

All these different configurations are under different profiles.

By default for all the firefox versions, I have them alll asking to choose a profile upon invocation. (With the -P flag).
Old 12-29-17, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Definitely.

All these different configurations are under different profiles.

By default for all the firefox versions, I have them alll asking to choose a profile upon invocation. (With the -P flag).
You are ahead of the game. That's great!
Old 01-03-18, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For either FF57 or Nightly with noscript + ublock (and also httpseverywhere), I usually wait for the cpu usage of ALL the Firefox processes to fall to around 0%, before I start using FF57 or Nightly for browsing. This usually takes about a minute or so.

For some reason, FF57 or Nightly is largely unusable when it is first invoked and the cpu usage spikes up to as high as 95%+ and bounces around at over 50%+ cpu usage for almost a minute.

I've always kept taskmanager (or process explorer) on in the background, largely out of habit. (Back in the days when I was still using unix/linux/bsd a lot, I had an obsessive habit of invoking the "ps" command all the time to see what processes are running).
Old 01-03-18, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I noticed that sometimes U-block origen craps out especially when I go to Ebay. Then I see all the AD banners that I blocked and quickly I realized that U-block is not working and something is wrong. When I click on the U-Block icon it won't open. Then when I close Firefox and reopen, a message pops up telling me that that Firefox needs to close first.

This happens quite rarely, it's a little nuisance.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.