DVD Talk Legend

Re: Good old fast Firefox is back

Firefox will soon block canvas-based browser fingerprinting attempts

https://www.helpnetsecurity.com/2017...ingerprinting/
Good stuff.
Old 10-30-17, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Firefox is still working good for me. I don't use extensions.
Old 10-30-17, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
Firefox is still working good for me. I don't use extensions.
May I question what is your reasoning for not using any extension?
Old 10-31-17, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Adblock Plus slows down the browser and CBS All Access won't work with it on.

DownloadHelper doesn't work well for Youtube naymore. I use youtube-dl or 4kvideodownloader programs which can get 4k and 1080p videos.

Firefox out of the box is pretty stable for me.

Last edited by Ranger; 10-31-17 at 10:41 AM.
Old 10-31-17, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If I had to restrict myself to JUST ONE extension, I would definitely use NoScript only. It is relatively low-maintenance and simple enough to use. (ie. It doesn't require any semi-daily updates of blacklists).

Though the drawback of using NoScript only, is that a lot of the blocked junk resulting in large empty spaces, dead links, etc ... on web pages will still litter many web pages. If you don't care too much about lousy "cosmetics" on web pages, then this shouldn't be an issue.
Old 10-31-17, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In more recent times, I've been using different browser/extension combinations for different purposes.

For example, recently I've been using the Brave browser for watching youtube videos. One feature I like in Brave is that you can disable "autoplay" by default of any video, audio, etc ... streams.

I also use Brave for reading websites with many mindless scripting complications, featuring trivial news. For example, such as many entertainment/movie type news websites (such as variety, ew, deadline, etc ...), and many generic "nerd" type news websites (such as io9, etc ....).

For sites which don't have too many mindless scripting complications, I'll use Firefox Nightly with the current beta versions of ublockorigin.
Old 10-31-17, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If I'm willing to spend some effort figuring out the scripting "house of mirrors" on web sites with too much mindless scripting complications, I'll use either Firefox Nightly with beta versions of ublock origin + noscript. Basically figuring out which scripts are required for basic functionality, and which ones can be ignored.

If something is just too impenetrable, I'll pull out my profile of Firefox Nightly with uMatrix and figure it out element by element.
Old 10-31-17, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Firefox out of the box is pretty stable for me.
If I was running Firefox with no extensions, I would also run it inside a sandbox or virtual machine. Easy to delete all the new junk produced during a web browsing sessions once I'm done, by deleting everything in the sandbox or virtual machine.
Old 10-31-17, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

NoScript is good though I don't really need it. NoScript might break some sites. I use separate Firefox profiles with different settings.

For example in run box:
firefox -createprofile noscript
firefox -p noscript
go to about:config to turn off javascript.

So you still have the default Firefox profile.
Old 10-31-17, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Adblock Plus slows down the browser and CBS All Access won't work with it on.
I dropped adblock plus in exchange for ublock origen. I find it better. I've been very happy with it.
Old 10-31-17, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In the end, the combination of browser/extensions I use is highly dependent on what mood I'm in and how lazy I am during a particular day.

If I am too tired when I get home, I'll just use Brave if I don't want to fiddle around with stuff.

If I'm up early in the morning with a lot of energy and willing to fiddle around with stuff, I'll use Firefox Nightly with both uMatrix and ublock origin. (For example, figuring out how to get youtube minimally working on uMatrix is actually somewhat nontrivial the first time around. It's easy the second time around).

Basically there is no "one size fits all" browser configuration for me.
Old 10-31-17, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
I dropped adblock plus in exchange for ublock origen. I find it better. I've been very happy with it.
Many years ago, the adblock extensions were adequate and good for their time.

After awhile, I wanted more flexibility which ublock origin was better for. (At the time, I wasn't really using Noscript a lot. I was using ublockorigin to block third party frames and scripts).
Old 11-10-17, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here is a list of which Firefox Legacy addons have been ported to the new Quantum (FF57) which now uses webextensions:

https://arewewebextensionsyet.com/

FF57 arrives next week on the 14th which is Tuesday.
Old 11-15-17, 06:58 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Got an email from CNet yesterday with an article about this new v57 Quantum update supposedly being way faster that "the old" Firefox. Has anyone tried it yet? Is it in fact faster? Still resource hungry? Still bogged down with superfluous crapola? Memory leak fixed? Anxious to hear reviews from actual users...

https://www.cnet.com/news/firefox-qu...nd-a-new-look/

Edit: I'm seeing, on further research, that not all of the Quantum CSS improvements have made it to Firefox 57 (Quantum) for Android, perhaps not yet for the desktop versions as well, that they're slated for v59+

Last edited by kd5; 11-15-17 at 07:16 AM.
Old 11-15-17, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I use Nightly, so I'm already on v59. It's good, but not OH MY GOD THIS IS THE BEST THING EVER!

I usually have a ton of tabs open, but also have 32GB of RAM. I've also replaced ABP with ublock, and NoScript with uMatrix.

Overall I have no real complaints.
Old 11-15-17, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Decided to give it a try at my work's laptop. So far so good. At home I use a Mac Air, and prefer to use Safari.
Old 11-16-17, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It's weird. firefox update will run slow at first and then after a while, it's incredibly fast.
Old 11-16-17, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
It's weird. firefox update will run slow at first and then after a while, it's incredibly fast.
This is especially noticeable with ublockorigin.

I usually wait around 30-45 seconds before I start reading web pages, to get around this "run slow" issue when FF57 (or Nightly) first pops up onto the screen.

Last edited by morriscroy; 11-16-17 at 10:53 PM.
Old 11-16-17, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JTH182 View Post
I've also replaced ABP with ublock, and NoScript with uMatrix.
The thing I like about using umatrix alone (with nothing else), is figuring out how complicated many web pages are, without having to read the actual underlying html/scripting code.
Old 11-16-17, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by morriscroy View Post
The thing I like about using umatrix alone (with nothing else), is figuring out how complicated many web pages are, without having to read the actual underlying html/scripting code.
It kinda creeps me out knowing all that's running in the background on some sites.

Speaking of which, has anyone installed any extensions like NoCoin? Supposedly some sites can mine crypto currency in the background. Is this legit?
Old 11-16-17, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JTH182 View Post
Speaking of which, has anyone installed any extensions like NoCoin? Supposedly some sites can mine crypto currency in the background. Is this legit?
Does nocoin do any better than the "resource abuse" lists in ublockorigin?
Old 11-16-17, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by morriscroy View Post
This is especially noticeable with ublockorigin.
Could the cause be too many active filters? I only use the defaults and one custom (which blocks the popup asking the user to remove the blocker). Too many filters slows the browser down.
Old 11-17-17, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
Could the cause be too many active filters? I only use the defaults and one custom (which blocks the popup asking the user to remove the blocker). Too many filters slows the browser down.
This same "run slow" issue also happens with the minimal filter setup that comes with the stock default setup of ublockorigin. How much less extreme it is, I couldn't say. (I never timed it yet).
Old 11-17-17, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In contrast, this "run slow" issue only lasted a few seconds on FF55 or 56 with the final non-webextension legacy version of ublockorigin 1.13.8

Though when I ran the webextension/hybrid versions of ublockorigin (1.13.10 and after) on FF55 or 56, this same "run slow" also happened for 30-45 seconds.

So I'm guessing this 30-45 seconds "run slow" issue is specific to ublockorigin in hybrid/webextension form.

Last edited by morriscroy; 11-17-17 at 08:39 AM.
Old 11-17-17, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Currently I'm also keeping an older setup of FF56 with the final non-webextensions (or hybrid) versions of noscript, ublockorigin, and httpseverywhere .

This is largely to ease the transition for the computer illiterates I live with. (I continue to update the ublockorigin filter lists every other day for the FF56 setup).

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.