DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-28-17, 07:52 PM   #26
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Good old fast Firefox is back

The memory leaks are still a huge issue on the latest Firefox 55. That has been Mozilla's downfall since Version 4 of the browser. 4-6 tabs and suddenly the browser spikes and the processing starts leaking memory.
Old 09-20-17, 01:52 PM   #27
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
The memory leaks are still a huge issue on the latest Firefox 55. That has been Mozilla's downfall since Version 4 of the browser. 4-6 tabs and suddenly the browser spikes and the processing starts leaking memory.
Yeah! My problem is this goddamned memory leak. It'll be going fine (using around 450,000 K memory), then out of nowhere, it drops to 100,000 K memory, stops responding for almost 10 minutes, then builds it's memory back up and starts responding again. No idea why it does that - didn't do that before this most recent update.
Old 09-20-17, 05:09 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Yeah! My problem is this goddamned memory leak. It'll be going fine (using around 450,000 K memory), then out of nowhere, it drops to 100,000 K memory, stops responding for almost 10 minutes, then builds it's memory back up and starts responding again. No idea why it does that - didn't do that before this most recent update.
That was the kind of thing that pushed me to try Vivaldi (think Chromium) and it's rapidly becoming my go to browser. Different than Firefox as it's Chrome like but so far no issues. Then again I jump around t multiple browsers as sort of a hobby.
Old 09-21-17, 08:59 PM   #29
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH182 View Post
I use FF Nightly v.57, and it just killed add-ons. I lost the use of NoScript for now. Kinda sucks, but in the long run it will be faster, leaner, and more stable. Hopefully the add-ons I use all get converted to Web Extensions.
Noscript will get converted. Which is great news.
Old 09-27-17, 01:16 AM   #30
DVD Talk Legend

chrome

Old 09-29-17, 12:58 PM   #31

I just installed/upgraded to version 56 and a few of my issues seem to be resolved. I was having major issues with eBay and a couple others The login/sign-on process took what seemed like forever and seemed to freeze the entire app. It would finally start again but very frustrating. So far it seems to be working fine. Time will tell however.
Old 09-29-17, 02:02 PM   #32
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've pretty much abandoned Firefox. The number of extensions that I came to rely on that will not be upgraded (most will not be possible) makes it kind of pointless. Ironically, many of those extensions have counterparts or fairly reasonable alternatives in Chrome (except AIOS and Tab Mix Plus, which I will dearly miss).

I've been using Chrome for a couple of weeks now, and so far I have no major complaints.
Go in peace! I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evil.
My DVDs
Old 09-29-17, 03:23 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboDad View Post
I've pretty much abandoned Firefox. The number of extensions that I came to rely on that will not be upgraded (most will not be possible) makes it kind of pointless. Ironically, many of those extensions have counterparts or fairly reasonable alternatives in Chrome (except AIOS and Tab Mix Plus, which I will dearly miss).

I've been using Chrome for a couple of weeks now, and so far I have no major complaints.
I had started using Vivaldi as my default browser. Super adaptable, think "power user", but I really didn't use many of the features. Mostly wanted eBay and a couple others to not slow to a crawl when I tried to sign-in. Still have multiple browsers installed and play around on a whim.
Old 09-29-17, 04:44 PM   #34

Weird, I've been using FireFox FOREVER, and I've never had any speed or memory issues, even with 300+ windows open right now. Go figure..

Edge on the other hand, that tends to crash or lock up pretty much every other day.
Old 09-29-17, 05:51 PM   #35
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Cartman View Post
Weird, I've been using FireFox FOREVER, and I've never had any speed or memory issues, even with 300+ windows open right now. Go figure..
It's because some of these people that complain got 3000 extensions for everything even to alert them to get up and go use the bathroom.
Old 10-07-17, 10:23 PM   #36
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH182 View Post
I'm using uMatrix now... it has a bit more of a learning curve than NoScript, but actually offers more options and does the same thing.
I've been testrunning Firefox Nightly for awhile with uBlockOrigin since the latter has already been converted to webextension.

For many years, I was using Firefox with extensions like ublock origin, "https everywhere", privacy badger, noscript, and something which destroys cookes.

With Firefox Nightly (ie. 57+) I think I might be able to dump several of my previous extensions, such as Privacy Badger, https everywhere, and the cookie destroyer. Straight out of the box, Firefox Nightly appears to already have some of the functionality of "https everywhere". Running every window in privacy mode and forbidding 3rd party cookies, more or less reduces the need to destroy cookies constantly.

I've been looking more closely at ublock origin's features (which I overlooked in the past), and found that it can replicate some of the functinality of NoScript, such as selectively running certain scripts and forbidding others on particular web pages.

I've tried uMatrix in the past, where I got the impression it was for the power user who was willing to spend a lot of effort figuring out which stuff to allow or forbid on a particular web page. On the other hand, I found uBlockOrigin somewhat easier to use for how I read web pages.

Nevertheless when NoScript is updated completely to webextension in the next month or so, I'll keep it around initially. I'll be seeing whether I can drop NoScript entirely, and only using uBlockOrigin to do selective script blocking along with blocking ads and other crap.
Old 10-07-17, 10:57 PM   #37
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have also been checking out the Brave browser.

It appears to be chromium based, and incorporates straight out the box some of the primary functionality of extensions like noscript, https everywhere, ad blockers, etc .... Currently I'm not using any additional plugins/extensions with the daily beta updates of Brave.

So far I've only really been using it for casual web browsing.
Old 10-10-17, 01:44 AM   #38
DVD Talk Legend

I was going to give Brave a try then I realized that according to some sources it doesn't entirely block all ads. So that's a letdown cause all ads are the work of the devil.
Old 10-10-17, 08:49 AM   #39
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
I was going to give Brave a try then I realized that according to some sources it doesn't entirely block all ads. So that's a letdown cause all ads are the work of the devil.
Occasionally I get a few ads slipping through, if I turn on scripts on a particular page. When I turn the scripts off and not allow any cookies, it is largely ad absent.

At this point, I haven't figured out how exactly Brave does the ad blocking out of the box. At minimum, I suspect the ad blocking is at the level of basic blockers like AdBlock. It doesn't appear to have the configurability + sophistication of something like uBlockOrigin.

Nevertheless, it is good enough for just reading text and watching youtube. (Youtube requires one or two selective scripts to be on in order to function).

Last edited by morriscroy; 10-10-17 at 09:04 AM.
Old 10-10-17, 09:14 AM   #40
DVD Talk Special Edition

By the time Firefox 57 is stable enough, I'll probably only be using uBlockOrigin by then. The primary NoScript functionality of selectively allowing scripts is already handled easily in current versions of uBlockOrigin.

On the other hand, I'll also keep FF57 configurations with uBlockOrigin and NoScript with the latter handling the scripts and the former only handling ads. This will be for webbrowser setups used by the computer illiterate folks I live with, where they minimally know how to turn on the scripts via NoScript when required.

If I had the patience of a saint, the only extension/plugin I would probably be using would be something like uMatrix.
Old 10-10-17, 06:18 PM   #41
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by morriscroy View Post
If I had the patience of a saint, the only extension/plugin I would probably be using would be something like uMatrix.
I tried umatrix once and I found it a bit complicated and being I was so used to no-script and it was doing it's job well; I switched back.
Old 10-11-17, 08:32 PM   #42
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've looked at uMatrix on and off over the past several years. Back then, I also found it somewhat cumbersome to use effectively.

In more recent times, I've been using NoScript to selectively block certain scripts while letting others run. For example on youtube, I only allow scripts from youtube.com and googlevideo.com to run. From trial and error, these two sites were the minimum required to get the search + videos playing. I don't allow all the other 3rd party scripts invoked by youtube.

For many other websites I read frequently, from trial and error I have figured out which specific 3rd party scripts have to be run for minimum functionality, and which 3rd party scripts can be ignored.

As a result of a lot of this past trial and error guesswork on my part, recently I found uMatrix somewhat easier to use. Even with uMatrix being somewhat more granular and precise than NoScript and/or uBlockOrigin, I've found that most of the previous guesswork also applies to uMatrix. For example in the case of youtube, it was relatively easy to figure which granular elements from youtube.com and googlevideo.com could be ignored and which elements were mandatory for minimum functionality.

The easiest place to look for which granular elements (ie. css, cookies, scripts, xhr, images, etc ...) to allow were typically the ones which had large quantities of blocked stuff.
Old 10-11-17, 11:48 PM   #43
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
I've looked at uMatrix on and off over the past several years. Back then, I also found it somewhat cumbersome to use effectively.

In more recent times, I've been using NoScript to selectively block certain scripts while letting others run. For example on youtube, I only allow scripts from youtube.com and googlevideo.com to run. From trial and error, these two sites were the minimum required to get the search + videos playing. I don't allow all the other 3rd party scripts invoked by youtube.

For many other websites I read frequently, from trial and error I have figured out which specific 3rd party scripts have to be run for minimum functionality, and which 3rd party scripts can be ignored.

As a result of a lot of this past trial and error guesswork on my part, recently I found uMatrix somewhat easier to use. Even with uMatrix being somewhat more granular and precise than NoScript and/or uBlockOrigin, I've found that most of the previous guesswork also applies to uMatrix. For example in the case of youtube, it was relatively easy to figure which granular elements from youtube.com and googlevideo.com could be ignored and which elements were mandatory for minimum functionality.

The easiest place to look for which granular elements (ie. css, cookies, scripts, xhr, images, etc ...) to allow were typically the ones which had large quantities of blocked stuff.
Old 10-12-17, 09:22 PM   #44
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've also been trying a combination of running BOTH ublockorigin and uMatrix, such that uMatrix primarily does the blocking with uBlockOrigin mopping up the remaining mess left behind.

Even after figuring out which specific elements to allow for minimum functionality of a particular webpage, it turns out what uMatrix can't really handle directly is if other excess junk (ie. ads, annoying banners, etc ...) is hosted directly on the primary webpage scripts. Essentially uMatrix is like a highly configurable "firewall".

(I start off with uMatrix blocking everything, and activate elements by hand so that a particular webpage is minimally functional).

On the other hand, uBlockOrigin is more much sophisticated in how it catches and filters out additional garbage. So stuff like ads, banners, etc ... and other annoying crap which are hosted directly on the same webpage, can be caught in the dragnet of uBlockOrigin's algorithms via filter lists + rules.

If I were to run the upcoming webextension version of NoScript with both uMatrix + uBlockOrigin all at the same time, I would mainly use NoScript to catch any remaining stuff like cross site scripting XSS attacks weirdness. (Mostly stuff in the "advanced" tab of NoScript's menu). Apparently XSS isn't handled very well by Firefox or even uBlockOrigin.
Old 10-12-17, 10:31 PM   #45
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
If I were to run the upcoming webextension version of NoScript with both uMatrix + uBlockOrigin all at the same time, I would mainly use NoScript to catch any remaining stuff like cross site scripting XSS attacks weirdness. (Mostly stuff in the "advanced" tab of NoScript's menu). Apparently XSS isn't handled very well by Firefox or even uBlockOrigin.
First and foremost thanks for taking time and sharing your insight on these great extensions. I could always learn a few new things here and there.

That's quite a killer combination but isn't it too much on resources? Also I haven't encountered malware in years. I do get the rare Avast pop-up blocking a malicious site but I haven't countered an infection of any kind using no-script and ublock origen.

I think it's safe to say that no-script and ublock are sufficient enough and that adding more on top of that is a bit too paranoia? lol
Old 10-13-17, 07:50 AM   #46
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
First and foremost thanks for taking time and sharing your insight on these great extensions. I could always learn a few new things here and there.

That's quite a killer combination but isn't it too much on resources? Also I haven't encountered malware in years. I do get the rare Avast pop-up blocking a malicious site but I haven't countered an infection of any kind using no-script and ublock origen.

I think it's safe to say that no-script and ublock are sufficient enough and that adding more on top of that is a bit too paranoia? lol
It turns out uMatrix doesn't appear to be a resource hog. I also disable the section where uMatrix reads/enforces info from bad hosts filter files. (This function automatically blocks these bad hosts by default). Since by default I block everything from the start in uMatrix, this additional "bad host blocking" function is largely superfluous for my purposes. In contrast in the case of uBlockOrigin, its default "bad host blocking" function is essential for uBlockOrigin's functionality.

NoScript in conjunction with ublockorigin would be sufficient for most purposes. There's several different ways of configuring them, depending on the computer proficiency of the user.

As mentioned in an earlier post, I used configurations where NoScript handles the turning on/off of scripts + XSS detection, and uBlockOrigin to mop up the huge mess left behind. (In this "mostly mop up" mode, I also keep uBlockOrigin blocking third party frames and remote fonts by default). Such a setup is ideal for people who are computer illiterate, but who can at least figure out whether to turn on the scripts when required (usually via the "temporarily allow all this page" button in noscript).

Another configuration I used was using NoScript primarily for the XSS detection and other stuff in the "advanced" tab, and using uBlockOrigin to do most of the heavy lifting which involves the selective turning on of certain scripts. By default in this "heavy lifting" mode, I have uBlockOrigin blocking ALL third party stuff and ALL first party scripts (including inline). In effect, this particular setup requires more personal intervention in figuring out which scripts to allow and which ones can be ignored.

Last edited by morriscroy; 10-14-17 at 08:55 AM.
Old 10-14-17, 08:14 AM   #47
DVD Talk Special Edition

I decided to try out yesterday's new release of NoScript on Firefox Nightly. It appears to be written as a hybrid of legacy/webextension, which other extensions have also been doing in the transition to FF57 webextension (such as uBlockOrigin).

Initially NoScript didn't install by default on Firefox Nightly. It required jumping through several hoops via some instructions on NoScript's web page, to get it to finally install on Firefox Nightly.

So I tried NoScript + uBlockOrigin in the two configurations mention in my previous post. The configuration for "computer illiterates" functions just as it has before. Once Firefox 57 is released officially sometime in November, I would continue using this configuration for the computer illiterates living with me.

For the other configuration with uBlockOrigin doing most of the heavy lifting which requires some experience with selectively unblocking scripts, it works more or less as I expected.

The speed of these two ^ configurations is more or less what I have expected.

I also tried a configuration with all three of uMatrix/uBlockOrigin with Noscript, where NoScript is not doing any script blocking outside of stuff in the "advanced" tab (ie. XSS, etc ...). Apparently this triple is considerably slower than either of the duos of uMatrix/uBlockOrigin or NoScript/uBlockOrigin. At this point I probably wouldn't recommend this triple configuration, unless one has a very powerful recent computer.
Old 10-15-17, 11:10 AM   #48
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
(More generally).

If I was really paranoid, I wouldn't be using an operating system like Windows or Mac. I would be using something like Linux or one of the *BSDs, where I would be compiling my own web browser binaries from the original source code directly in native Linux or *BSD. Also I would have the Linux or *BSD machine hardened with a custom firewall blocking almost everything which is not essential.

(For example OpenBSD is designed with hardened security from the start, all the way down to the kernel level. The main developer of OpenBSD seems to be a paranoid type).

Currently I'm not paranoid enough to do things in this ^ manner. (I use to run Linux and *BSDs back in the 1990s and early-2000s, though for reasons unrelated to paranoia).

For the much less paranoid types but still mindful of security, the easiest setup involves running web browsers and mailreaders inside a sandbox. (For example, such as Sandboxie on Windows). What I like about running web browsers inside a sandbox, is that I can just delete everything in the sandbox after I'm finished. So every time I start up Firefox anew, it is more or less a stable starting copy with my settings intact without any of the obvious garbage from previous uses.

If I was still using Linux and slightly more paranoid, another option would be to run Firefox inside a virtual machine running Windows or another copy of Linux (or another operating system). In this setup, everything inside the virtual machine can be deleted after finishing, and started anew the next time.

Last edited by morriscroy; 10-15-17 at 11:41 AM.
Old 10-16-17, 06:52 AM   #49
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
If I had to guess, this sounds like a process being "swapped out" to the swap partition.

This type of behavior also happens on the Brave browser, where a particular window that isn't really being used much gets swapped out, until one goes back to that particular window and is brought back to the main memory.

More generally, this happens for many processes which are not really being actively used.
Old 10-17-17, 09:29 AM   #50
Admin-Self Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
This is what caused me to abandon Firefox. It just won't release the RAM once it gets its paws on it.

www.endgerrymandering.com
Gerrymandering in the US