Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Good old fast Firefox is back

Old 11-04-21, 04:21 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 187 Likes on 133 Posts
Re: Good old fast Firefox is back

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
What's the deal with these new "Colorways" themes being "available for a limited time?"

Why would themes be only available for a limited time like a McRib sandwich?
Good question. I chose not to mess with it and as such have no answer.

FF had a minor update (to Windows users, a not so minor one for Mac users) to 94.0.1
Old 11-04-21, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 452 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
Just want to throw this out there in regards to Chrome and to those that dislike Google Chrome and Edge. Brave is right behind Firefox in terms of privacy. Firefox even acknowledges on their page that Brave cares for privacy. Brave comes with a built in adblocker that is just like U-Origen. No need for additional adblockers. You can also run No-Script addon.
I've been using Brave's search engine of late and haven't looked back.

https://brave.com/search/
Old 12-08-21, 09:05 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

I've never been a huge fan of themes but I decided to try the Galaxia theme that FF offered at the bottom of their list of recommended themes, I might just keep it. Looks better than the antisepic white that FF has become.
Old 12-14-21, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

so when the ESR version updated a while back it broke all websites that have a login. I'd login open a link on the page into a new tab and have to login again
had to roll back
wasn't a huge fan of the new look either
Old 12-18-21, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 119 Likes on 106 Posts

Recently I have been examining the behavior of Firefox's cache mechanism. I have set FF to always run in private browsing mode, and setting the default home page to about:cache which lists all the stuff which is cached in memory and on disk.

With FF set to always being in "private browsing mode", just about all of the junk from websites (such as dvdtalk, etc ....) is cached in memory and not written to the hard drive's cache directory. Even though stuff from websites are only cached in the memory, it turns out some junk is still being written to the hard drive's Firefox cache directory (in the Firefox profile directory).

Examining the FF cache on the hard drive and in about:cache, it appears it is around 35 megabytes of security certificates and "safebrowsing" related files. (Safebrowsing is the mechanism which Firefox uses to block all kinds of junk by default, such as some tracking, coin mining, malware pages, etc ....).

Taking a closer look at Tor, it appears Tor's version of Firefox esr browser is attempting to block some of the functions which involved automatic downloads of various junk in the background.
Old 02-18-22, 04:22 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kd5 View Post
I've never been a huge fan of themes but I decided to try the Galaxia theme that FF offered at the bottom of their list of recommended themes, I might just keep it. Looks better than the antisepic white that FF has become.
Ditched the Galaxia theme. Just couldn't get used to it.

I've been getting a lot of Restore Session pages lately. About every 3rd or 4th time I turn on my computer and bring up FF for the 1st time, I get the Restore Session page, then I just hit the Homepage toolbar button and everything's peachy.

It seems like in order to provide feedback about issues, they want you to login using a social media account, "organization login", or Crowdicity. What in the flying fuck is Crowdicity?? Why not just provide a feedback form (or report error form) and be done with it? What is up with Mozilla?
Old 02-18-22, 04:31 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I set up an account with Crowdicity, but I can't for the life of me find a way to report issues.
Old 03-05-22, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

I'm running Windows 7-64 bit. I updated to the latest version of Firefox (97.0.2) and it doesn't work. I recovered from a backup and the next day and tried again, being careful not to be doing anything else while updating and so on, and it still doesn't work and I had to go back to my backup again and recover. Does anybody else still use Windows 7 and had this problem? If they have made it incompatible with Windows 7, then it would be nice if they warned before, or even while downloading. I am currently running 97.0 and it works fine, except that it does not always open to my selected "home" page, but opens on the page last showing when I shut down Firefox.
Old 03-05-22, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,242 Likes on 891 Posts

According to Mozilla, that version of Firefox works on Windows 7:

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo...-requirements/

It might be some peculiarity with your system (hardware, software, driver) that it doesn't like.
Old 03-08-22, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
According to Mozilla, that version of Firefox works on Windows 7:

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo...-requirements/

It might be some peculiarity with your system (hardware, software, driver) that it doesn't like.
Thank you. I am now afraid to try again. This is not due to anything you said though. I'll live with this version for the time being.
Old 03-25-22, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,043 Likes on 810 Posts

So some time this month maybe(?) they changed the behavior of downloads so now you have to download things completely instead of just having it open up in the app of your choice. I'm so used to the old way and there's no way to change it back? I assume there are some security reasons behind it?
Old 05-04-22, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Yesterday, Firefox released version 100.0 and I'm really liking it so far.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo.../releasenotes/
Old 05-05-22, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 472 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by EinCB View Post
Yesterday, Firefox released version 100.0 and I'm really liking it so far.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo.../releasenotes/
You'd think after *100 versions* (!) of a software release, the company could get it right, and perfect. But, alas I wouldn't touch a "moden" version of Firefox with a 50-foot pole. It's a bloated mess of spaghetti code, about 100x larger than it should be, and "requires" a fast modern system to run well. That's hideous...

Still, though, Chrome isn't much better, if at all, since its MO is to "spy" on you, unless you go through lots of hoops to turn off all the crap.
The following users liked this post:
danwiz (05-06-22)
Old 05-06-22, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So very true! I used EDGE the other day - tried it for a webpage which Firefox would not load properly, and I could absolutely not believe how fast it loads very heavy web pages. It was just amazing. I wish to heck that I was not so addicted to Firefox.
Old 05-06-22, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,242 Likes on 891 Posts

My experiences with Edge have mostly been negative. I find it slow and clunky, and laced with too bunch Bing-y shit.

I much prefer Firefox; it's a smooth, clean experience; has enhanced security and privacy features, and I like using extensions like uBlock Origin and Easy YouTube Video Downloader.
Old 05-06-22, 08:06 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
You'd think after *100 versions* (!) of a software release, the company could get it right, and perfect. But, alas I wouldn't touch a "moden" version of Firefox with a 50-foot pole. It's a bloated mess of spaghetti code, about 100x larger than it should be, and "requires" a fast modern system to run well. That's hideous...

Still, though, Chrome isn't much better, if at all, since its MO is to "spy" on you, unless you go through lots of hoops to turn off all the crap.
Wow. What a load.
Old 05-06-22, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 206 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by danwiz View Post
So very true! I used EDGE the other day - tried it for a webpage which Firefox would not load properly, and I could absolutely not believe how fast it loads very heavy web pages. It was just amazing. I wish to heck that I was not so addicted to Firefox.
Drop Firefox and Edge. Get Brave. Don't worry Brave uses the same engine as Edge and Chrome.
rduncan (05-07-22)
Old 05-12-22, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, Sonic, I got Brave and I'm using it right now. It is faster than Firefox, no doubt on that. The only thing I don't like about it so far is that the Adobe Acrobat link which allows me to "Convert to PDF" any web page. The icon is on my Brave menu bar, but when I click it it shows a bunch of options, one of which is "Convert to PDF", bu t when one clicks on that, it says "Select a File", it does NOT convert the current web page to PDF, and I can find no possible way to do that. I'm using Windows 7 and Adobe Acrobat XI Pro.

I guess this is no big deal, I can use Firefox when I need to convert a webpage to PDF, but it just tells me that I will not be a "100% all of the time" Brave user.
Old 05-12-22, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Josh-da-Man - I traced my previous problem to a corrupted file in McAfee - the window would not open which asks if I wanted to allow Firefox to connect to the internet, and therefore it (Forefox) could not start. I restored my system to an Acronis True Image back-up from a year ago (my data files are NOT on the same drive as my OS, so nothing was lost as far as data like Word, Excel, etc.). Everything works fine again.
Old 05-12-22, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, Sonic, I got Brave and I'm using it right now. It is faster than Firefox, no doubt on that. The only thing I don't like about it so far is that the Adobe Acrobat link which allows me to "Convert to PDF" any web page. The icon is on my Brave menu bar, but when I click it it shows a bunch of options, one of which is "Convert to PDF", bu t when one clicks on that, it says "Select a File", it does NOT convert the current web page to PDF, and I can find no possible way to do that. I'm using Windows 7 and Adobe Acrobat XI Pro.

I guess this is no big deal, I can use Firefox when I need to convert a webpage to PDF, but it just tells me that I will not be a "100% all of the time" Brave user.
What happens when you right click mouse, does it show option for saving web page to PDF? I'm trying to understand your post because I have no such icon of Adobe on my Brave menu.

However this Brave PDF extension might work? https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...lkpcnlhgjpebko
Old 05-12-22, 10:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know, I would switch to a different browser, but it has certain features like allowing screenshots on "DRM content" such as live feeds on YouTube TV. Along with the fact that I've been using it regularly for almost a decade at this point after Safari discontinued support for Windows. I really wish somebody made a browser that was like Firefox, but runs as fast as Edge. Other than that, I'm okay with using Firefox as my primary browser.
danwiz (05-13-22)
Old 05-13-22, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sonic, I looked at that extension, and after reading reviews of it, no thanks. Right mouse click shows nothing useful to me with the Adobe Acrobat icon showing. I'd post a screenshot, but I can't due to restrictions placed on me by the administration of this site.
Old 05-13-22, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sonic, I looked at that extension, and after reading reviews of it, no thanks. Right mouse click shows nothing useful to me with the Adobe Acrobat icon showing. I'd post a screenshot, but I can't due to restrictions placed on me by the administration of this site.
Here's another one: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...khllpmjnnllbbc