Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Good old fast Firefox is back

Old 04-17-19, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Good old fast Firefox is back

I tried. I get a popup warning after trying to install newest and I get an error installing because I guess DELL has a special version. Unfortunately they don't have an update.
Old 04-17-19, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by VHS? View Post
I tried. I get a popup warning after trying to install newest and I get an error installing because I guess DELL has a special version. Unfortunately they don't have an update.
The new Intel drivers are universal now. I have a two year old Dell XPS and downloaded the driver from Intelís site. I do use DDU to uninstall the old driver first:
Old 04-17-19, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've tried the (Dell) built in assistant as well as installing the Intel Driver & Support Assistant and my PC wont let me install the update at all.
Intelģ Graphics - Windowsģ 10 DCH Drivers
Latest version: x.x.x.6618 Installed Version: x.x.x.4973
This download installs the Intelģ Graphics Driver for 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th generation, Apollo Lake, Gemini Lake, Amber Lake, and Whiskey Lake.
Release date: March 20, 2019Size: 341 MB
I click to download dch_igcc_win64_25.20.100.6618.exe then when I go to install, no go. It does say upon installation that this version is BETA. Wonder if my PC is not allowing BETA drivers?

Release Version: BETA Version
Driver Version: 25.20.100.6618
Release Date: March 20, 2019

Operating System(s):
Microsoft Windows* 10-64 - Fall Creators Update (1709)
Microsoft Windows* 10-64 - April 2018 Update (1803)
Microsoft Windows* 10-64 - October 2018 Update (1809)

Platforms:
6th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) processor family (Codename Skylake)
7th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) processor family (Codename Kaby Lake)
8th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) processor family (Codename Kaby Lake-R, Coffee Lake)
9th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) processor family (Codename Coffee Lake-R)
Amber Lake
Apollo Lake
Gemini Lake
Whiskey Lake

And then here is where it takes me

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us...s-drivers.html
Old 04-17-19, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by VHS? View Post
I've tried the (Dell) built in assistant as well as installing the Intel Driver & Support Assistant and my PC wont let me install the update at all.

I click to download dch_igcc_win64_25.20.100.6618.exe then when I go to install, no go. It does say upon installation that this version is BETA. Wonder if my PC is not allowing BETA drivers?

And then here is where it takes me

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us...s-drivers.html
I always run DDU to remove the old driver before install the new one. Itís the one driver I donít like install over the old one. You can go to Device Manger and roll back the Intel Driver to make sure thatís the problem.
Old 04-18-19, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well this is why I'm thinking it's not the driver (even though it appears it needs to be updated) because this is only an issue on FF.
Edge does not create this issue. Have not tried Chrome. But going to see.
Old 04-27-19, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Durring the past week or so, I was bored and looked into figuring out what the minimal profile files/data is required for minimal functionality of firefox (or brave) inside a sandbox (such as sandboxie).

Running a browser inside sandboxie, generally all the new files produced are quarantine inside the sandbox. ( A drop-down menu item in sandboxie can transfer files from the quarantine to the one's real directory, or just manually cut and pasting the files by hand from quarantine to one's own directory).

Usually when I'm done browsing and exit the browser, I just delete everything in the quarantine.

(Details to follow in a later post).
Old 04-28-19, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It turns out it was easier to figure out a minimal profile for brave than firefox, for minimal browser functionality inside sandboxie. (ie. No bookmarks, no logins/passwords, no cookies, etc ... being saved at all).

(This might also partially apply to Chrome since they both use the same underlying chromium engine).

As far as I can figure out from trial and error, these were the minimal files + directories required in "User Data" for brave to function minimally inside sandboxie.

First Run -> Empty file which tells brave to bypass the default "new browser" intro screens.

Local State -> Data file which tells brave where to open up and size when invoked.

Default\Preferences
Default\Secure Preferences -> Basic configuration data files.

Safe Browsing
CertificateRevocaton -> Directories with basic security data which protects against stuff like phishing, etc ...

These following directories correspond to various extensions which come packaged with brave:

afalakplffnnnlkncjhbmahjfjhmlkal -> whitelists and host tracking blocking data

cffkpbalmllkdoenhmdmpbkajipdjfam -> ad blocking data

cpoalefficncklhjfpglfiplenlpccdb -> tor client

oemmndcbldboiebfnladdacbdfmadadm -> pdf file viewer ?

oofiananboodjbbmdelgdommihjbkfag -> https everywhere data

In the sandboxie settings, I allowed several directories to be directly accessible by brave (ie. bypassing quarantine): cffkpbalmllkdoenhmdmpbkajipdjfam (the ad blocking data), CertificateRevocation, Safe Browsing. These three data directories are updated almost every day.

The other extensions directories aren't updated as often. Easy to just cut and paste these data directories whenever they're automatically updated by brave.

All the other "User Data" data files generated by brave inside sandboxie, appears they are generated on the fly and/or are temporary which are quarantined by sandboxie. After I'm finished browsing with brave, all these quarantined files can be deleted.
Old 04-28-19, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Firefox is somewhat more involved in figuring out a minimal configuration inside sandboxie.

The starting point I've been using, is an empty profile directory with only the prefs.js file. (The prefs.js file has all the data from about:config which are modified from the defaults).
Old 05-03-19, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Mozilla Firefox: Fuuuuuck yoooou! All of my add-ons were just summarily disabled, permanently. This browser has been my main one for years, despite the slowness problem that crops up, but I think I am done now.
Old 05-04-19, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

^ Looks like a temporary glitch that they’re trying to fix.
Old 05-04-19, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The temporary band-aid fix is already deployed by turning on "Allow Firefox to install and run studies" in Tools > Options > Privacy & Security.

https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2019...ns-in-firefox/
Old 05-04-19, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, some of my add-ons were disabled too - I did a malware scan with malware bytes on my PC, and it cleared it right up.
Old 05-04-19, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think they corrected the expired certificate problem over the past two hours or so. (If one reads through articles today on this fiasco, it asserts this current problem was from an expired certificate which was used to sign extensions/addons).

In my recent excursion into finding a profile configuration for minimal functionality of Firefox inside sandboxie, one of the default sandboxie settings allows direct access (bypassing quarantine) to some directories + files dealing with daily updated security data:

safebrowsing -> directory with data from mozilla and google dealing with tracking protection, phishing, etc ...
blocklist.xml -> file which lists blacklisted extensions/addons
cert9.db -> file with various certificates for cryptographic authentication

To check whether this certificate for extensions/addons was just updated, I got an old copy of cert9.db from an older profile which I haven't deleted yet and copied it into my current profile. When I ran Firefox with this older cert9.db file, my extensions were disabled. Changing back to the new cert9.db file (updated about two hours ago or so) and running Firefox again, there were no problems with my extensions.
Old 05-04-19, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It appears this certificate update was done via "Allow Firefox to install and run studies" in Tools > Options > Privacy & Security.

I just ran Firefox on another account which I haven't ran in several days, where the extensions were disabled upon invocation. So I turned on "Allow Firefox to install and run studies" in Tools > Options > Privacy & Security and watched the timestamps on cert9.db file in the respective profile directory.

As soon as the cert9.db file was updated, I deleted everything in the sandbox and started Firefox up again. Now the extensions looked fine and were not disabled.
Old 05-04-19, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by morriscroy View Post
The temporary band-aid fix is already deployed by turning on "Allow Firefox to install and run studies" in Tools > Options > Privacy & Security.

https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2019...ns-in-firefox/
This ain't working chief. Mozilla really fucked up this time. Hopefully they'll get a true fix soon as every single one of my add-ons has been disabled.
Old 05-04-19, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
This ain't working chief. Mozilla really fucked up this time. Hopefully they'll get a true fix soon as every single one of my add-ons has been disabled.
If the "studies" route doesn't work, then there probably isn't really much left one can do with the current FF 66.0.3

(There's other more torturous ways which don't appear to always work, such as about:config modifications etc ...).

In such a situtation, I would just wait for FF 66.0.4 or a later update.
Old 05-04-19, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

(There's other more torturous ways which don't appear to always work, such as about:config modifications etc ...).
For example if you want to waste your time on non-official releases, you can try the most recent "release canadidate" builds of Firefox 66.0.4

https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/....4-candidates/
Old 05-04-19, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just tried the "build 3" release candidate for Firefox 66.0.4 with a dummy copy of my current profile with a copy of cert9.db from several days ago.

As far as I can tell when FF 66.0.4 build 3 is invoked, cert9.db is immediately updated (judging by the timestamp changes).

My addons/extensions are all there. I also checked addons.mozilla.org where there didn't appear to be any current addons/extensions being blocked.
Old 05-05-19, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It worked for me on three computers. It took less then three minutes. I didnít even have to restart Firefox after I enabled the options.

Last edited by Kdogg; 05-05-19 at 11:47 AM.
Old 05-05-19, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Booted up Firefox last night, and I did lose my addons like Adblock+ and Video Download Helper, but then they showed up a few minutes later without having to do anything.
Old 05-05-19, 08:55 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Still haven't got my addons back on my tablet, don't know how to fix it myself, the options in the tablet version of FF aren't the same as the PC version.

Last edited by kd5; 05-06-19 at 05:49 AM.
Old 05-05-19, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
It worked for me on three computers. It took less then three minutes. I didnít even have to restart Firefox after I enabled the options.
It got fixed today after I rebooted. Hopefully, the Firefox team learns from this.
Old 05-05-19, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It got fixed today after I rebooted. Hopefully, the Firefox team learns from this.
Did you update to the official FF 66.0.4 which was released earlier today?
Old 05-06-19, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Did you update to the official FF 66.0.4 which was released earlier today?
Yes!
Old 05-10-19, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I posted this in the Feedback forum, but maybe I'll have better luck here: I can no longer post in Firefox. The box is grayed out. Is fine in Vivaldi and Chrome, but I hate Chrome and Vivaldi has issues with linking stuff, so I use Firefox. But now I can't. Any idea what could be affecting one browser but not the others? It's obviously not my DVDTalk settings. Help?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.