DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-26-17, 08:23 AM   #1
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anyone use a small Secondary Monitor?

I have no need for a full 2nd monitor but I'm thinking of picking up something small to quickly reference docs when I'm logged into a game. Does anyone use a smaller (7" or 10") monitor? If so, does it work well for you?

I purchased the Duet app for my iPad but I can't seem to get it working correctly. Using it just destroys my monitor resolution and turns the iPad into a touchpad rather than a 2nd screen for the PC.
Old 07-26-17, 05:10 PM   #2
Stealth Moderator

Re: Anyone use a small Secondary Monitor?

I do, but I guess we have a different definition of small.

My primary monitor is a 27". My secondary monitor was a 22" for the longest time but recently I upgraded it to a 24". That actually looks small on my desk as it sits directly left of my main. Yes, it's great for putting up docs to reference and other minor uses. Lately, I've been watching YouTube on the second monitor while I work on the primary monitor.

For the first 15 years using 2 monitors, I had the primary monitor on the left and the secondary monitor on the right. About a year ago, I switched and put the secondary on the left, and I like it so much better.

life in high definition
Old 07-26-17, 05:59 PM   #3
DVD Talk Legend

Aren't monitors pretty cheap now? I'd just get a second full size one.

Doctor Who DVDs needed - The Web Planet, The War Games, Ghost Light.
Old 07-26-17, 06:30 PM   #4
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't have a lot of desk room these days. I went ultrawide. So I use a 15.6" laptop screen below, and above it, my 34" Ultrawide (recently upgraded from my old 29").

There's some well-reviewed USB3 monitors out there now, but they'll cost you. I was looking for one in case I decided to go back to a desktop PC, to replace my laptop screen. I'd also like it to double as a portable monitor for my NES classic / or my retropie setup for vacations and such.

But the 15.6" GeChic (only one that fits my criteria) is like $300. Review here: http://www.trustedreviews.com/review...rtable-monitor

These guys have a breakdown of some of the portable monitor choices: https://www.monitornerds.com/best-portable-monitor-pc/

Asus makes one that is USB-only (meaning, laptops only, nothing else) but that one is almost $200.

I'm not sure it would make a great monitor, but I ended up getting a 19" Insignia LCD TV from Best Buy for $60 rather than spend $200 or $300 on 15" portable ones. It is functioning as my retropie test display, since I'm working on my setup. I've navigated some linux command line and menus with it, it isn't too bad for $60.

EDIT: I see you were talking even smaller, there's some reasonably priced smaller ones near $120 in 12" or so on Amazon that seem to be well-reviewed, look for Elecrow portable LCD.

Seems to me that something like that would be too small for reading text, though, at normal desk distance.

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 07-26-17 at 06:44 PM.
Old 07-26-17, 07:04 PM   #5
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Where are you even going to get a 7 or 10 inch monitor these days?

What I did is get a wide 21 incher for a secondary monitor, but then rotate it vertically. that way it takes up less desk space, and if you're going to be using that monitor for documentation and stuff, it makes for easier reading having it the long way.
Old 07-27-17, 11:18 AM   #6
DVD Talk Legend

For something 7" or 10", you might be better served getting a tablet and setting it on a stand.
Old 07-27-17, 01:05 PM   #7
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
There's some well-reviewed USB3 monitors out there now, but they'll cost you. I was looking for one in case I decided to go back to a desktop PC, to replace my laptop screen. I'd also like it to double as a portable monitor for my NES classic / or my retropie setup for vacations and such.

But the 15.6" GeChic (only one that fits my criteria) is like $300. Review here: http://www.trustedreviews.com/review...rtable-monitor
I have a 13" GeChic monitor at work that we were using for testing as a portable display that could be taken places, and it works pretty well just as far as standing up a quick console display or something since it's USB powered. I haven't tried connecting it as a secondary monitor on a regular Windows PC though.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 07-27-17, 01:12 PM   #8
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for the feedback, all. Regarding the comments; I could add a 2nd full monitor, and even have my previous 27" sitting on the floor. My desk could fit two but I'm kinda OCD about the setup. I don't want my main monitor off-center and I can't fit 3 27".

To get to the detail, I'm really only want this for one main reason. While I'm playing FF14, i want to use the 2nd monitor to look up crafting recipes and display Discord. Keep clutter off my main. I don't need anything large but I do need it to be a proper 2nd monitor off my PC. A separate tablet wouldn't do it.

Would be great if I could get that Duet app working on my iPad. Perfect solution for me if it worked as advertised.
Old 07-27-17, 02:03 PM   #9
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Thanks for the feedback, all. Regarding the comments; I could add a 2nd full monitor, and even have my previous 27" sitting on the floor. My desk could fit two but I'm kinda OCD about the setup. I don't want my main monitor off-center and I can't fit 3 27".

To get to the detail, I'm really only want this for one main reason. While I'm playing FF14, i want to use the 2nd monitor to look up crafting recipes and display Discord. Keep clutter off my main. I don't need anything large but I do need it to be a proper 2nd monitor off my PC. A separate tablet wouldn't do it.

Would be great if I could get that Duet app working on my iPad. Perfect solution for me if it worked as advertised.
My wife plays FF14. She's usually playing on our TV though and uses her laptop to look up crafting recipes. And when she's playing on her laptop, she uses the Chromebook to look up stuff.

Doctor Who DVDs needed - The Web Planet, The War Games, Ghost Light.
Old 07-27-17, 02:06 PM   #10
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I could do that but a 2nd monitor is a better option. Allows me to copy/paste info into game chat. And when I use my headset, I need Discord running on the same PC as the game so I get the sound from both.