Reload this Page >

Best mesh Wi-Fi router system?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Best mesh Wi-Fi router system?

Old 06-12-19, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Best mesh Wi-Fi router system?

Just curious has anyone tried Google Wifi with ATT uverse yet? The Router/Modem combo they give you sucks and I was interested in trying something different but was not sure how well it works with Uverse.
Old 06-12-19, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 600 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099 View Post
Just curious has anyone tried Google Wifi with ATT uverse yet? The Router/Modem combo they give you sucks and I was interested in trying something different but was not sure how well it works with Uverse.
I've used it with their Fiber service but not their DSL, which was plug and play. It supports PPPoE so it shouldn't be an issue if you're on DSL and it that uses that.
Old 07-05-19, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 820 Likes on 561 Posts

So which one is better, Google Mesh or Orbi? Are these 2 compatible with Suddenlink 400GB Internet? I currently an Arris SBG7580AC which works okay but doesn't have a great reach of signal for the second floor of my house. Also, it has the infamous Puma 6 Chipset, which cause latency every now and then.
Old 07-06-19, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
So which one is better, Google Mesh or Orbi? Are these 2 compatible with Suddenlink 400GB Internet? I currently an Arris SBG7580AC which works okay but doesn't have a great reach of signal for the second floor of my house. Also, it has the infamous Puma 6 Chipset, which cause latency every now and then.
I would recommend orbi since you get a lot more control. With Google mesh, you are so limited and can't even select 2.4 or 5 ghz for a device. I would strongly suggest that you look at Google WiFi limitations to make sure you are ok with it and also that it doesn't have a problem with other products you are using, even Google ones.

Google mesh very frequently drops signal with my Google doorbell. I mean honestly.... Google has had cohesion between their products but i didn't realize this bad. The issue is because you can't change the band. I ended up throwing in a non Google router set to 2.4 just to connect to the Google doorbell and using the Google mesh for the rest of the house.
Old 07-07-19, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 338 Likes on 152 Posts

BTW, if anyone needs a good/cheap network switch, the price dropped (back in May) on this one to $17.99 for 8 port/unmanaged. I just noticed it dropped.

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EVGIYG

I got one when it was $24, and just ordered another one.
Old 01-07-20, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is this Orbi one at Costco for $200 good? I could care less about the speaker, but I need a mesh router and a good satellite

https://www.costco.com/netgear-orbi-...YxOG7oufvq8MY=
Old 02-19-20, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So I bought Orbi RBK50. Is there a way to connect this cable modem

to this

Old 02-19-20, 09:31 PM
Premium Member

Received 300 Likes on 210 Posts

Just connect the LAN cable between them. (yellow-yellow)
Old 02-19-20, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Cow View Post
Just connect the LAN cable between them. (yellow-yellow)
For some reason is not working for me and I can't find any solution on Google.
Old 02-19-20, 09:34 PM

So I bought Orbi RBK50. Is there a way to connect this cable modem

to this

Little hard to tell from the picture, but you should connect an ethernet cable to/from the yellow jacks. Cable - Internet out; Orbi - Internet In. The other ports on the Orbi act as a router in case you have to plug something in that doesn't have wi-fi built in.
Old 02-19-20, 09:37 PM

For some reason is not working for me and I can't find any solution on Google.
I have these problems with networking too. Try to power everything off. Then power up from the wall out, modem, wait for lights to come on, then router/Orbi, then devices.
Or it will just start magically working, even though you had it connected right all along.

And, if your Cable Modem is new, you have to contact your ISP to add the MAC address of the modem.
Old 02-19-20, 09:46 PM
Premium Member

Received 300 Likes on 210 Posts

If you have a laptop or desktop with an Ethernet connection, try plugging that into the modem to make sure you have internet coming out of it.

Side note, I have the Orbi with 1 satellite in a large house (the main unit is in the basement) and it has great coverage all over the house.
Old 02-20-20, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,041 Likes on 809 Posts

Have you ever gone into your cable modem before to change settings? Apologies if this is basic stuff that you've already tried:

Yes you need to plug in the lan to the lan. But you also have to either turn off or bypass the NAT on one of the two routers. So normally what you'd do is try to turn on some kind of DMZ or pass through on the cable router so that it routes all traffic to the orbi. Turn off wireless on the cable router. Turn on wireless on the Orbi and have everything connect through it. The Orbi will get an IP address from the router, but otherwise everything else will get IP addresses from the orbi. If you don't do this, you'll get double NAT.

edited to add: I think this is the modem you have. It's called bridge mode:

https://help.melita.com/arris-settin...gerouter-mode/
Old 02-20-20, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson View Post
I have these problems with networking too. Try to power everything off. Then power up from the wall out, modem, wait for lights to come on, then router/Orbi, then devices.
Or it will just start magically working, even though you had it connected right all along.

And, if your Cable Modem is new, you have to contact your ISP to add the MAC address of the modem.
The cable modem is a little over a year old. I followed your suggestions and unfortunately it didn't work.

Originally Posted by The Cow View Post
If you have a laptop or desktop with an Ethernet connection, try plugging that into the modem to make sure you have internet coming out of it.

Side note, I have the Orbi with 1 satellite in a large house (the main unit is in the basement) and it has great coverage all over the house.
The ethernet from the modem doesn't seem to be working. I tried it in my macbook and didn't connect to the internet. Will try again tomorrow with my laptop to see if it's a compatibility issue. May get another ethernet cable to see if its that also.

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Have you ever gone into your cable modem before to change settings? Apologies if this is basic stuff that you've already tried:

Yes you need to plug in the lan to the lan. But you also have to either turn off or bypass the NAT on one of the two routers. So normally what you'd do is try to turn on some kind of DMZ or pass through on the cable router so that it routes all traffic to the orbi. Turn off wireless on the cable router. Turn on wireless on the Orbi and have everything connect through it. The Orbi will get an IP address from the router, but otherwise everything else will get IP addresses from the orbi. If you don't do this, you'll get double NAT.

edited to add: I think this is the modem you have. It's called bridge mode:

https://help.melita.com/arris-settin...gerouter-mode/
Couldn't do this as for some reason I can't access the cable modem setting at all using the address you gave me or this one I found online 192.168. 100.1. I feel I need to give a little bit more background so everyone understand a little more of the issue. My ISP is Suddenlink and I have a 400GB plan that uses cable. They provided me a cable modem (Arris TM822G) which is the one I posted above. Because this is only a modem, I needed to buy a wireless router that would be compatible to the service I'm getting so I purchased an Arris SBG7580AC that works okay but not great as it doesn't provide me a strong signal for the second floor of my house. The TM822G connects to the SBG7580AC through a coaxial cable and the 7580AC provides the wifi signal. I bought the Orbi to replace the SBG7580AC but like I mentioned before, it's not connecting to Tm822G modem. In addition, I can't access the cable modem as when I go to advance settings it gives me a 404 error/forbidden page.

What can I do to fix this problem and connect the Orbi? Should I try calling Suddenlink or Netgear? I imagine I'm not the only one that has this issue.
Old 02-20-20, 10:49 PM

Couldn't do this as for some reason I can't access the cable modem setting at all using the address you gave me or this one I found online 192.168. 100.1. I feel I need to give a little bit more background so everyone understand a little more of the issue. My ISP is Suddenlink and I have a 400GB plan that uses cable. They provided me a cable modem (Arris TM822G) which is the one I posted above. Because this is only a modem, I needed to buy a wireless router that would be compatible to the service I'm getting so I purchased an Arris SBG7580AC that works okay but not great as it doesn't provide me a strong signal for the second floor of my house. The TM822G connects to the SBG7580AC through a coaxial cable and the 7580AC provides the wifi signal. I bought the Orbi to replace the SBG7580AC but like I mentioned before, it's not connecting to Tm822G modem. In addition, I can't access the cable modem as when I go to advance settings it gives me a 404 error/forbidden page.

What can I do to fix this problem and connect the Orbi? Should I try calling Suddenlink or Netgear? I imagine I'm not the only one that has this issue.
That doesn't sound right. The coax coming out of the wall, should go into the Modem TM822G. Then from there, connect a ethernet cable in the yellow jack to a computer. I'd get that working first, before inserting the Orbi. Once you can confirm an internet connection there, then remove ethernet cable from computer and put in Orbi.

Need to make sure the lights on modem are on (assuming it's connected correctly). Then see if you have internet on the computer.
https://arris.secure.force.com/consu...RelatedArticle
https://arris.secure.force.com/consu...RelatedArticle
Old 02-20-20, 10:54 PM

Well, I just saw that the router you mentioned is a combo router/modem (SBG7580AC). You might need to contact your ISP to verify which modem you should be using. You can only have 1 MAC address active on the provider's network.

If you don't get the Online light to come on with the TM822G, try plugging the coax from the wall into the SBG7580AC and see if the online light comes on there.
https://arris.secure.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/SBG7580-AC-LED-Lights-Status/?l=en_US&fs=RelatedArticlehttps://arris.secure.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/SBG7580-AC-LED-Lights-Status/?l=en_US&fs=RelatedArticle
Old 02-21-20, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson View Post
Well, I just saw that the router you mentioned is a combo router/modem (SBG7580AC). You might need to contact your ISP to verify which modem you should be using. You can only have 1 MAC address active on the provider's network.

If you don't get the Online light to come on with the TM822G, try plugging the coax from the wall into the SBG7580AC and see if the online light comes on there.
https://arris.secure.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/SBG7580-AC-LED-Lights-Status/?l=en_US&fs=RelatedArticlehttps://arris.secure.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/SBG7580-AC-LED-Lights-Status/?l=en_US&fs=RelatedArticle
The arris sbg7580ac is setup only as a router not a modem, but I guess youíre right, I will need to contact suddenlink to help me with the installation of the Orbi as it seems that the tm822g was set up by them and I canít access it internally
Old 08-14-21, 08:52 PM
Premium Member

Received 629 Likes on 481 Posts

I went ahead and upgraded to the Eero 6, which is Amazon’s product. I’m using my Uverse modem/router as the bridge to the Eero. So far the reception is much better and I’m getting a faster signal everywhere in my house now. Anyone else using this? Or what else are you all using as a mesh system?
Old 08-15-21, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 199 Likes on 119 Posts

Brought the Amazon Eero mesh WiFi system (3-pack) about 1.5 years ago for about $130. Been very happy with the coverage.
If I come across a great price for the Eero 6, I will upgrade.
The following users liked this post:
E Unit (08-15-21)
Old 08-16-21, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

I picked up the Eero 6 earlier this year or so. Pretty simple setup, and it greatly enhanced the coverage in my house and just outside. I mucked up some settings because I didn't know what I was doing, and Amazon's support got me straightened out quickly. I would prefer being able to connect to it with my desktop, but maybe that's just my old-man-doesn't-like-change mentality.
Old 08-17-21, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 472 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by mndtrp View Post
I picked up the Eero 6 earlier this year or so. Pretty simple setup, and it greatly enhanced the coverage in my house and just outside. I mucked up some settings because I didn't know what I was doing, and Amazon's support got me straightened out quickly. I would prefer being able to connect to it with my desktop, but maybe that's just my old-man-doesn't-like-change mentality.
Nothing wrong with an old-man-doesn't-like-change mentality. You *should* be able to set up a product like this through a desktop. Not everyone has a smartphone, nor is everyone a young, snarky 20-year-old kid who thinks his way should be the ONLY way. It wouldn't have hurt anyone had this gadget been configurable *both* ways. But, instead we're forced into an inefficient way using another gadget (smartphone) when it'd be so much easier and efficient to just setup over a PC or a laptop instead.
Old 08-17-21, 07:18 PM
Premium Member

Received 629 Likes on 481 Posts

Then don’t buy Amazon since it’s their product. FWIW, it was the easiest setup I’ve ever done when setting up a new household WiFi. And fastest speeds yet.
Old 08-18-21, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hard wired my Eero to my desktop & TV in my bedroom.
Old 08-18-21, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by kahuna View Post
I hard wired my Eero to my desktop & TV in my bedroom.
You can access the Eero interface with your desktop?
Old 08-18-21, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You can access the Eero interface with your desktop?
I have one of the Eero pucks up in my room. I just hooked up a ethernet cable from the Eero puck to a ethernet switch. From the 6 port switch I hooked up my desktop & tv.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.