Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Best mesh Wi-Fi router system?

Old 10-04-18, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Re: Best mesh Wi-Fi router system?

I put in the Orbi last Thanksgiving (RBR50/RBS50 combo pack). Coverage and speed are most impressive.
Old 10-05-18, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Iíve had the Orbi RBK53 system in my ~3000 sq ft house since last November. The first set had a defective satellite that was causing all kinds of problems, but the replacement has been nearly flawless.

My house is mostly L-shaped, so I needed the two satellite config to guarantee consistent coverage. I have the router in one leg of the L, with one satellite upstairs in the corner, and the second satellite in the other leg. I donít need to use a wired backhaul thanks to the tri-band setup. I get very consistent speedtest speeds though out the house that are as fast as my ISP is providing, and throughput between devices on the local network screams, averaging close to a gigabit/sec. All of the smart home devices work well, with one exception. My Ring 2 doorbell has been spotty ever since I converted to Orbi, and I have read numerous blogs and other posts from people who have the same issues.

Iím debating throwing a cheap second router into the setup and dedicating it to the Ring. Either that, or just switch to a Nest Hello.
Old 10-05-18, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Interesting, I'll have to keep an eye on my Ring Pro since the switch and see if it still performs ok.
Old 11-28-18, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Orbi AC3000 from Costco.

Love it, great coverage, easy setup, speeds are impressive all over my house. Well worth the money.
Old 12-11-18, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Best Buy Deal of the Day.

Netgear Orbi 3 pack AC2200 Tri Band Mesh System for $199.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgear...&skuId=6175126
Old 12-11-18, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Amazon Lightning Deal - NETGEAR Orbi Whole Home Mesh WiFi System - WiFi router and 2 satellite extenders with speeds up to 2.2 Gbps over 6,000 sq. feet, AC2200 (RBK23) for $200.

Amazon Amazon
Old 12-11-18, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So there's a difference between these: the best buy one has plug in extenders which aren't as powerful and the amazon one has standalone extenders with built in ethernet ports (rbk23w vs. rbk23). Costco also has 40 bucks off a pack that comes with only one standalone extender (rbk22) for 159.99 after discount.

Also these are slower than the rbk50 (ac2200, wireless max speed of 2200 Mbps vs. AC3000 wireless max speed of 3000 Mbps), it's basically the cheaper model that they put out recently.

Last edited by fujishig; 12-11-18 at 09:41 PM.
Old 01-11-19, 07:28 AM
Cool New Member

Both are good options but the way I like Velop is that it has Auto-fix ability and if you have a smaller area to cover then, Velop should be your preference.
Old 01-11-19, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My Orbi constantly drops dns every once in a while, and I have no idea why. Like sites won't resolve for a minute, then go back to normal. Also there seems to be no way to configure DHCP to assign different DNS servers, so everything that gets address information from orbi DHCP automatically funnels it to the orbi router for dns anyway.

Seems odd that there's no setting for this. Also, I haven't bought a router in a while, but I would have thought being able to isolate traffic by IP would be something all routers have. Orbi tells you overall traffic but doesn't parse it out by server/IP, even though the info is all there. So if you suspect that a device is generating a lot of traffic, there's no way via orbi to tell. Is this not a common feature in routers nowadays?
Old 01-11-19, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Can't you set the DNS server address on your ISP router? Orbi used to just pull that.
Old 01-11-19, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Can't you set the DNS server address on your ISP router? Orbi used to just pull that.
You can set the DNS server to whatever you want on orbi itself. The problem is, when Orbi assigns addresses out, it sets the dns server that your systems use to itself, the orbi router, and then orbi goes out and makes dns calls with whatever you set. For whatever reason, the router just drops dns at times (or something else is going on), so I'd prefer to be able to set DHCP to set dns to whatever I want, and not the orbi router.

It also uses this Circle software for parental control, also running on the router, and I don't think it can really keep up with all the requests. Also I don't know when this became a common parental control device, but I don't really like hardware that uses ARP poisoning to "trick" devices into checking in with it for all requests.
Old 01-19-19, 03:10 PM
Cool New Member

Mayhap, most of you would like it but Google WiFi is a little impressive as an inexpensive router. I also love the strong signals of Ubiquiti Amplifi HD.