Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Best mesh Wi-Fi router system?

Old 10-04-18, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Re: Best mesh Wi-Fi router system?

I put in the Orbi last Thanksgiving (RBR50/RBS50 combo pack). Coverage and speed are most impressive.
Old 10-04-18, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Iíve had the Orbi RBK53 system in my ~3000 sq ft house since last November. The first set had a defective satellite that was causing all kinds of problems, but the replacement has been nearly flawless.

My house is mostly L-shaped, so I needed the two satellite config to guarantee consistent coverage. I have the router in one leg of the L, with one satellite upstairs in the corner, and the second satellite in the other leg. I donít need to use a wired backhaul thanks to the tri-band setup. I get very consistent speedtest speeds though out the house that are as fast as my ISP is providing, and throughput between devices on the local network screams, averaging close to a gigabit/sec. All of the smart home devices work well, with one exception. My Ring 2 doorbell has been spotty ever since I converted to Orbi, and I have read numerous blogs and other posts from people who have the same issues.

Iím debating throwing a cheap second router into the setup and dedicating it to the Ring. Either that, or just switch to a Nest Hello.
Old 10-05-18, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Interesting, I'll have to keep an eye on my Ring Pro since the switch and see if it still performs ok.
Old 11-28-18, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Orbi AC3000 from Costco.

Love it, great coverage, easy setup, speeds are impressive all over my house. Well worth the money.
Old 12-11-18, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Best Buy Deal of the Day.

Netgear Orbi 3 pack AC2200 Tri Band Mesh System for $199.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgear...&skuId=6175126
Old 12-11-18, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Amazon Lightning Deal - NETGEAR Orbi Whole Home Mesh WiFi System - WiFi router and 2 satellite extenders with speeds up to 2.2 Gbps over 6,000 sq. feet, AC2200 (RBK23) for $200.

Amazon Amazon
Old 12-11-18, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So there's a difference between these: the best buy one has plug in extenders which aren't as powerful and the amazon one has standalone extenders with built in ethernet ports (rbk23w vs. rbk23). Costco also has 40 bucks off a pack that comes with only one standalone extender (rbk22) for 159.99 after discount.

Also these are slower than the rbk50 (ac2200, wireless max speed of 2200 Mbps vs. AC3000 wireless max speed of 3000 Mbps), it's basically the cheaper model that they put out recently.

Last edited by fujishig; 12-11-18 at 08:41 PM.
Old 01-11-19, 06:28 AM

Both are good options but the way I like Velop is that it has Auto-fix ability and if you have a smaller area to cover then, Velop should be your preference.
Old 01-11-19, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

My Orbi constantly drops dns every once in a while, and I have no idea why. Like sites won't resolve for a minute, then go back to normal. Also there seems to be no way to configure DHCP to assign different DNS servers, so everything that gets address information from orbi DHCP automatically funnels it to the orbi router for dns anyway.

Seems odd that there's no setting for this. Also, I haven't bought a router in a while, but I would have thought being able to isolate traffic by IP would be something all routers have. Orbi tells you overall traffic but doesn't parse it out by server/IP, even though the info is all there. So if you suspect that a device is generating a lot of traffic, there's no way via orbi to tell. Is this not a common feature in routers nowadays?
Old 01-11-19, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Can't you set the DNS server address on your ISP router? Orbi used to just pull that.
Old 01-11-19, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Can't you set the DNS server address on your ISP router? Orbi used to just pull that.
You can set the DNS server to whatever you want on orbi itself. The problem is, when Orbi assigns addresses out, it sets the dns server that your systems use to itself, the orbi router, and then orbi goes out and makes dns calls with whatever you set. For whatever reason, the router just drops dns at times (or something else is going on), so I'd prefer to be able to set DHCP to set dns to whatever I want, and not the orbi router.

It also uses this Circle software for parental control, also running on the router, and I don't think it can really keep up with all the requests. Also I don't know when this became a common parental control device, but I don't really like hardware that uses ARP poisoning to "trick" devices into checking in with it for all requests.
Old 01-19-19, 02:10 PM

Mayhap, most of you would like it but Google WiFi is a little impressive as an inexpensive router. I also love the strong signals of Ubiquiti Amplifi HD.
Old 02-04-19, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I ended up getting an Orbi AC3000 (base with two sats) at costco. I havent set it up yet, though.
Old 02-04-19, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
You can set the DNS server to whatever you want on orbi itself. The problem is, when Orbi assigns addresses out, it sets the dns server that your systems use to itself, the orbi router, and then orbi goes out and makes dns calls with whatever you set. For whatever reason, the router just drops dns at times (or something else is going on), so I'd prefer to be able to set DHCP to set dns to whatever I want, and not the orbi router.

It also uses this Circle software for parental control, also running on the router, and I don't think it can really keep up with all the requests. Also I don't know when this became a common parental control device, but I don't really like hardware that uses ARP poisoning to "trick" devices into checking in with it for all requests.
I turned off the Circle parental software and like magic the dns problems either went away or aren't as noticeable.
Old 02-04-19, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anybody using the Synoloty RT2600 and Mesh routers? I have a Luma set up but I need like 5 of them spaced around my relatively small town home for it to reach everywhere, especially to the front door for my Ring and to the garage for the opener I have.
Old 02-08-19, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Didn't get time to post this here before the sale ended, but Woot had a refurbed Orbi RBK50 2-pack (AC3000 RBR50 Router + RBS50 Satellite) for $180 on Groundhog Day. I pulled the trigger and have the weekend set aside to get it set up.

I'm hoping I didn't screw up by not getting two sets - I've got a 4,100 sq-ft home spread out over 3 floors (basement + 2) and the incoming ISP line is in the corner basement office. The standalone price of a 2nd RBS50 satellite is $20 more than it would've cost me to Woot another 2-pack.
Old 02-11-19, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Amazon is buying eero.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/11/1...tion-announced
Old 02-11-19, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
I'm hoping I didn't screw up by not getting two sets - I've got a 4,100 sq-ft home spread out over 3 floors (basement + 2) and the incoming ISP line is in the corner basement office. The standalone price of a 2nd RBS50 satellite is $20 more than it would've cost me to Woot another 2-pack.
I doubt you'll have a problem. The Orbi signal is so strong. But if you need an extra satellite, you should be able to use one of the smaller/cheaper ones like the RBW30 wall-plug. I think it's on sale at Newegg for $130.
Old 02-11-19, 08:35 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
That's good news. I guess Amazon decided to dump their Luma WiFi line and go with eero instead.
Old 02-27-19, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DaveNinja View Post
I ended up getting an Orbi AC3000 (base with two sats) at costco. I havent set it up yet, though.
I ended up returning the Orbi to costco. I set it up and the wifi worked (for most of the house) but everything on my wired network started lagging. Even just streaming tv shows from one computer harddrive to Kodi on a Nvidia Shield TV was causing buffering. Also, my daughter, who had the same Orbi router in her bedroom, was getting weak wifi signals on her chromebook and iphone. I upgraded the Orbi firmware and made sure Circle was off. I switched back to my netgear Nighthawk router and everything was fine again.
Since my house isnt that big and I have ethernet ports at 4 different locations, I'll just get some access points instead of using a wireless mesh backend. I already hooked up with old Dark Knight router as an access point to increase coverage. Just need to get another cheaper dedicated AP for my upstairs bedroom.
Old 02-27-19, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DaveNinja View Post
I ended up returning the Orbi to costco. I set it up and the wifi worked (for most of the house) but everything on my wired network started lagging. Even just streaming tv shows from one computer harddrive to Kodi on a Nvidia Shield TV was causing buffering. Also, my daughter, who had the same Orbi router in her bedroom, was getting weak wifi signals on her chromebook and iphone. I upgraded the Orbi firmware and made sure Circle was off. I switched back to my netgear Nighthawk router and everything was fine again.
Since my house isnt that big and I have ethernet ports at 4 different locations, I'll just get some access points instead of using a wireless mesh backend. I already hooked up with old Dark Knight router as an access point to increase coverage. Just need to get another cheaper dedicated AP for my upstairs bedroom.

Too late now, but did you enable daisy chaining? I think default is to have it off, which means your router has to be centrally located as all the satellites talk directly to it. Also you can see which satellite your device is connecting to.

Actually, you mentioned your wired wasn't working which seems weird. Wired to the satellites?
Old 02-28-19, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Too late now, but did you enable daisy chaining? I think default is to have it off, which means your router has to be centrally located as all the satellites talk directly to it. Also you can see which satellite your device is connecting to.

Actually, you mentioned your wired wasn't working which seems weird. Wired to the satellites?
I didnt enable daisy chaining since the router was in the middle of the two sats.
No idea why is was messing with my wired traffic. I didnt have any crazy QoS turned on or anything. The satellites were not connected to wired network. I tried with one to see if they would use the wired network for the backhaul but it just brought down the entire network until i disconnected it again.
Old 03-01-19, 04:42 PM
Stealth Moderator

I bought the Google WiFi Mesh a couple of weeks ago when it was on sale for $239. Our house has some metal in the walls, so WiFi had always been terrible, even when I added an extender.

To my surprise, Google WiFi is working really well. All the previous dead spots now have really strong signal.

This is my first mesh, and maybe any mesh would have suffice, but I'm really impressed with the Google WiFi mesh.
Old 06-10-19, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I also bought the Google Mesh, but for my folks, that thing has the easiest setup I've ever seen for a wifi system.

Oh and it works great too, but that setup really was ridiculous (plug everything in, scan 3 QR codes, done.)
Old 06-10-19, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I switched to Google Mesh back around April. Had tp-link router + extender. The mesh is a lot more stable. I consistently hit my isp download speed that I'm paying for. My laptop has only lost connection once, even though all other devices were connected.
I even have connection further away from the house outside.
I had a hiccup connecting the 2nd unit, it just stalled and never finished, so I had to start that one over. I ended up moving the middle one since one time I tested mesh, it changed to "good" instead of "great".
Although I have a background in IT, networking has never been my strong suit. I can normally set things up. They don't always work right away, but will eventually. It was a little tricky getting used to setting up port forwarding, and static ip's, but once I found the area to do it at on the app it was pretty easy. I wish they had a web interface to make changes, but you have to use the app. Though they broadcast http://testwifi.here you can't do anything. Just tells you to download the app.
I also had to buy a cheap network switch since my PC does not have wireless, and I have a NAS, all near the modem.
So far very happy with it.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.