Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 06-09-17, 12:59 AM   #1

I have a used Panasonic CF-30 Toughbook. How do I upgrade it?

I have a used Panasonic CF-30 Toughbook. How do I upgrade it or make it usable?

I believe I need a new hard drive for it. If I buy one, what do I do about an operating system? Any advice?
Old 06-13-17, 10:51 AM   #2
DVD Talk Legend

Re: I have a used Panasonic CF-30 Toughbook. How do I upgrade it?

Not sure it's worth upgrading a laptop from 2007, there's only so much you can do.

That said, I found a guide on how to replace the haddrive, which looks to be a standard 2.5" SATA. Going with an SSD replacement could help with speed:
https://www.bobjohnson.com/how-to-re...ughbook-cf-30/

Reference manual shows how to pull out the harddrive case and to upgrade RAM:
https://www.bobjohnson.com/content/t...nce-manual.pdf

Video guide to replacing RAM:

This guide indicates that Windows 10 should be able to run on it:
https://www.bobjohnson.com/blog/wind...ot-to-upgrade/
Old 06-18-17, 02:16 PM   #3
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Do you know the history of the computer? Just curious. We use the Toughbooks in our squad cars. Just curious if its an ex-law enforcement computer.

What processor does it have? If it is ex-LE then they probably went with a low end chip...which could be a bottle neck for you. More RAM or an SSD will definitely help.

Just my thoughts. Good luck with it. They sure can take a beating. I have a CF-31 in my squad now and our newest squads are getting the CF-35's? (Widescreen models).
Old 06-19-17, 09:10 AM   #4
kd5
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Should have a product key sticker on the bottom of the laptop indicating which OS was installed. If it still has the product key sticker, you can download the OS free (you'll need to Search for your specific OS) and use the product key that shipped with the laptop to activate and validate. You'll need to find drivers and install software, then, based on which OS you could be ready to go. You'll need to use an alternative browser because older versions of IE aren't supported on most websites anymore.

If the laptop does not have a product key sticker on the bottom of it, and you can't boot to the OS to extract the key or the hard drive is toast/unbootable, then once you get a new hard drive installed you'll have to buy an operating system for it (or install Linux), then put in the time to install drivers and software.

If you try to put an OS with unsupported drivers for the hardware in the laptop, you're screwed (unless you're skilled in making shit work that shouldn't), audio drivers are typically the biggest problem but the only potential problem. Make sure the hardware will support the OS (or vice versa).

My DVD/BD Collection
Old 06-19-17, 09:27 AM   #5
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd5 View Post
Should have a product key sticker on the bottom of the laptop indicating which OS was installed. If it still has the product key sticker, you can download the OS free...
This isn't true for all versions of Windows. Windows 10 and Windows 8 allow you to download an installer, but Windows 7 only allows people with retail keys to download the installer (most people have OEM keys that came with the PC), and Vista and XP don't have installers available for download for the general public. Considering this laptop is from 2007, it likely came with a Vista key.

Also, Vista and XP are out of date and no longer officially supported, so you'd want to upgrade to a newer OS, if at all possible. as I mentioned in my post, the laptop appears to be compatible with Windows 10, in that there are drivers and such available for the hardware.
Old 06-19-17, 09:45 AM   #6
kd5
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You still have to have a valid product key to install it:

Link removed by me, to counter any potential issues of propriety. -kd5-

Downloads for all of the MS Windows Operating Systems were once widely available for download, however you had to have a valid Product Key to install any of them. Now, they're getting harder to find but Google is your friend.

My DVD/BD Collection

Last edited by kd5; 06-19-17 at 09:23 PM.
Old 06-19-17, 10:13 AM   #7
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
You still have to have a valid product key to install it:
That's not an official download source; technically, it's piracy.

Aside from the legality, you also have to be concerned about malware being included in the install media from such unauthorized sources.
Old 06-19-17, 09:16 PM   #8
kd5
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, when Microsoft stopped providing their own links to download these operating systems in favor of pushing everyone to Windows 10, someone had to pick up and carry the torch. As far as malware is concerned, I would think if you downloaded an OS using a file sharing application like LimeWire (or equivalent) you would most definitely need to be concerned with malware. I don't think that's the case here, but you take chances every time you walk out your front door.

Edit: In the name of satisfying some potential issues insofar as propriety may be concerned, I'll take down my link, but I will still say that Google is the OP's friend.

My DVD/BD Collection

Last edited by kd5; 06-19-17 at 09:24 PM.
Old 06-19-17, 09:32 PM   #9
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Well, when Microsoft stopped providing their own links to download these operating systems in favor of pushing everyone to Windows 10...
MS never provided public download links for Windows Vista. As far as I can tell, they haven't taken down any of their own public download methods.

Windows 7 (retail only) download:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...nload/windows7

Windows 8.1 download:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...nload/windows8

MS used to be pretty paranoid about sharing download links to Windows online, for fear of piracy. They've loosened up starting with Windows 7, but earlier versions of Windows never got an official download method.