Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Recommend home security cameras

Old 11-30-16, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Recommend home security cameras

I have been looking at these for a while and I even bought some last month (the magnetic wireless ones they sell in Costco, really fit the bill except my
Home wireless internet is shit, so we could not get a good connection consistently), and I had to return them.

I need a set of around 4 cameras with a hard drive for recording, high quality picture, night vision and sound would be good. The ability to download an app and check the camera via my iPhone would also be good.

I have seen the other varieties sold in stores like Sams, Costco and Best Buy, but not sure which ones are any good. I don't want to be spending a fortune, but certainly need something that will produce a decent picture and recording.

So any suggestions?
Old 12-02-16, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Recommend home security cameras

I have a Costco QSee system for my outside cameras. I didn't go wireless since you have to run power anyways and it is great (Older technology though)

I also have two wireless Foscam cameras, that are great for inside viewing. I use them as pet cams, and a way to keep an eye on the house when I am on a trip.

There was another thread on this topic just recently though...
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tech-talk/6...endations.html
Old 12-02-16, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Recommend home security cameras

I will check out the QSee systems in Costco tonight. I needed something that will record to a stand alone drive/DVR unit (i will be traveling and prefer to not have any system linked up to a computer needing to be switched on 24/7) and as my home WIFI can be piss poor the idea of see a signal via a phone would be nice to have to check, but not have it be perfect streaming in real time. As long as i could connect to the camera and see an updated image every 30-60 seconds would be fine just to keep an eye on what is happening. Plus i dont want to pay for any monthly signal/cloud service.

I am also tempted by a Foscam camera for the inside of the house.