DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 05-11-17, 01:17 AM   #26
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Google Home

Still not available in Canada. What a joke.
Old 05-11-17, 01:19 AM   #27
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral View Post
Still not available in Canada. What a joke.
But I like Canada. It's not a joke
Old 05-11-17, 08:12 AM   #28
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
I would so jump on Google home if you could use Amazon Prime music on it.
I would have jumped on the Echo when it first came out if it allowed Google Play Music. Such is life in these locked down corporate gardens.
Old 08-17-17, 07:28 PM   #29
DVD Talk Hero

In an attempt to one up Echos incredibly solid intercom feature, you can now make calls with your Google Home devices. It dials out with your Google Voice number if you have one. Me calling food delivery just got so much lazier. Nice way to find your buried in laundry phone as well.

Last edited by RichC2; 08-17-17 at 07:36 PM.
Old 10-21-17, 05:18 PM   #30
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I already have an Echo Dot (Alexa) and now, as of this week, have a Google Home Mini.

My configuration is the Echo Dot is in the family room and the Google Home Mini is in the living room. The family room has an HDTV and a home theater receiver while the living room only has a stereo system, and each room has a Harmony Hub box to control those those AV systems.

The Echo Dot works well for controlling the TV and home theater sound system. The HT receiver is a Yamaha model so I'm waiting for the update to Yamaha's MusicCast feature that is supposed to integrate it with Echo Alexa (promised for "October 2017" but I haven't seen the update yet).

And even though I've only had the Google Home Mini for a few days, I really like it a lot so far. Both stereo systems have Chromecast Audio devices attached and I already subscribe to Google Play Music so now using the Google Home Mini to stream the same music to both rooms is a breeze. And I really like the "Shortcuts" feature it has (I wish the Echo had a feature like that).

Anyway, so far so good, and I'll keep trying out new things to learn how to best use them both.
Old 11-05-17, 11:23 PM   #31
DVD Talk Legend

Google set up a Donut Shop in downtown Indy this weekend, and I was staying at the Marriott 2 blocks away for the Marathon/5K Saturday morning.

They were doing a promo... you went into the shop, asked Google a question (and get an answer), and then got a box that either contained two delicious donuts or one delicious Google Home Mini.

I didn't get the donuts.

Interestingly enough, just last week I got an Amazon Tap from Woot, so I've gone from no devices to two competing voice-activated home controller thingy devices in a flash. The Tap has been used to stream Sirius/XM, Pandora and radio - our local talk radio station is on TuneIn, and Cincinnati's WLW is on IHeartRadio. It's been a pain to get it to play my favorite podcasts, and it won't stream music from my huge networked collection without me installing a third party server.

A couple of years ago I uploaded that huge networked music collection to my Google Music account - the idea was that I could stream it at my desk at work. The Tap doesn't play with my Google account very well, but it would be happy to stream music I pay for from my Amazon account.

I've only begun to play with the Home Mini. I presume that as its a Google product I should be able to stream my own music from my Google Music account through my new Mini, but the documentation and the smartphone app are both lacking in specifics as to whether and how that can happen. Anyone know? Also, is there a list anywhere of the services that work with this device? The app only shows Spotify, YouTube Red, and Pandora.
Old 11-06-17, 08:04 AM   #32
DVD Talk Gold Edition

To play personal tracks you've uploaded to Google Play Music through the Home you'll need a premium all access account. As for tips and tricks I rely pretty heavily on the Googlehome Reddit page (https://www.reddit.com/r/googlehome/). So much about the device is undocumented and pretty much hidden so a few FAQs and an active board really help.
Old 11-06-17, 02:33 PM   #33
DVD Talk Legend

^ Thanks. I'll check that out tonight.