Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Buying an All-In-One PC. Input appreciated.

Old 11-10-16, 12:55 PM

Buying an All-In-One PC. Input appreciated.

I'm thinking of buying my father an All-In-One PC for Christmas. I'm looking at this model:

Dell Inspiron 24 3000 Series All-In-One (Intel Core i3, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DSSLEHI/

He wants something basic and simple to use. All he does is email friends, surf the web, and use MS Word. His current set-up is a standard desktop PC. He wants one that's smaller with less clutter and wires.

This one looks good. It has a nice, big HD screen. I think the processor, RAM and HD size should be enough for his needs. It also has wireless network and built-in speakers which means less wires.

He doesn't need a PC that's upgradeable or packed with features. Just something that should run smoothly for the next 5 years or so.

So before I pull the trigger, I need to know if there's a reason why I should avoid this PC? Will this All-In-One PC be a good choice? Or should I stick with a standard desktop?

I'd appreciate any input. Thanks.
Old 11-10-16, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Buying an All-In-One PC. Input appreciated.

Based on his needs, that looks like a good PC. PC processors are so powerful nowadays, you really don't need much. Memory maybe in the lowest limit, but again, for his needs that may be enough, 16GB of memory may be too much.
Is 24'' the size of his current monitor?

Have you checked for deals on Black Friday?
Old 11-10-16, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Raul3 View Post
Based on his needs, that looks like a good PC. PC processors are so powerful nowadays, you really don't need much. Memory maybe in the lowest limit, but again, for his needs that may be enough, 16GB of memory may be too much.
Is 24'' the size of his current monitor?

Have you checked for deals on Black Friday?
His current monitor is an old 19-21 inch 4:3 LCD. It sucks. It'll be nice to get him a widescreen HD monitor.

I agree that the memory seems low. But the most stress he puts on the computer is watching short video clips on YouTube and AOL News. He doesn't do any gaming or video/photo editing.

I checked some of the Black Friday stuff at Slickdeals. The only All-In-One PC I've seen on sale is an HP with a touchscreen and similar specs for $450 at Best Buy and Staples. That's a nice price ($100 less).

Any input on touchscreens? I personally find a mouse more convenient.
Old 11-10-16, 09:14 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

One alternative I would suggest is a desktop and a bigger, 27" widescreen monitor. Even if he doesn't do a lot of video, a bigger screen is still nicer for everything. I know you have more wires, but if he doesn't need to move the PC much, it should be OK.

By moving away from an all-in-one, you have more freedom to choose the right monitor. A decent 27" should cost $250, probably less with Black Friday deals.
Old 11-11-16, 12:29 AM

I think a 27 inch monitor will be too big. He has a small desk which is already crowded with a printer, phone, desk lamp, and other junk. Even getting the 24-inch widescreen will take some rearranging.

When I talked to him about a new computer, he was thinking about switching to a laptop to reduce all the clutter. I had to convince him that the smaller screen and tiny keyboard wouldn't be comfortable. I think an All-In-One is the best compromise.

Since I've never owned an AIO, I'm just wondering if there's something I should know before buying or a reason to avoid them. I know they're almost impossible to repair/upgrade. But other than that, is there anything I should know or look for when buying?
Old 11-11-16, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Here's some talk specifically about AIOs

Please recommend a good All In One

What's the big deal with touchscreens and all-in-one desktop computers?