Reload this Page >

Transfer from one portable hard drive to another

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-23-16, 07:46 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have a portable external hard drive that I used to store data from several older PCs, and it's near full. I plan to get a new higher-capacity portable drive.

Can I transfer from the first to the second drive by connecting both by USB to one PC, then dragging and dropping? Or do I have to transfer from old drive to PC first, then from PC to second drive?

Thanks for your help.
Old 10-23-16, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Transfer from one portable hard drive to another

You should be able to plug both into different USB ports and drag-and-drop from one to the other. I don't know if I've done that with hard drives, but I've definitely done it with flash thumb drives.
Old 10-24-16, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, that's possible.

Depending on different factors, it could be more efficient to copy to the PC hard drive first.
Old 10-24-16, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Psi View Post
I have a portable external hard drive that I used to store data from several older PCs, and it's near full. I plan to get a new higher-capacity portable drive.

Can I transfer from the first to the second drive by connecting both by USB to one PC, then dragging and dropping? Or do I have to transfer from old drive to PC first, then from PC to second drive?

Thanks for your help.
Yes it will work. If you are using USB 2.0 and it's a lot of files it will take a while.
Old 10-24-16, 05:53 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thank you all.

I have USB 2.0 and have transferred things between PC and external drive and back. It would take several minutes for a large folder (30 GB) so it's not too slow. My old drive is 300 GB and it's nearly full, so that's how much I have to move to the new drive.
Old 10-26-16, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Keep in mind that copying between two USB 2.0 devices will effectively cut the transfer speed in half, since half will be used for the source drive, and half for the destination drive.

Also, you should consider copying instead of moving, and keeping the old drive as a backup. You should always have at least 2 copies of any data you want to keep, since drives can fail at any time.
Old 10-26-16, 07:53 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
Keep in mind that copying between two USB 2.0 devices will effectively cut the transfer speed in half, since half will be used for the source drive, and half for the destination drive.
I will let it run overnight while I sleep. I know it will take many hours.

Also, you should consider copying instead of moving, and keeping the old drive as a backup. You should always have at least 2 copies of any data you want to keep, since drives can fail at any time.
Yes, that's the plan. The old stuff will be kept on the old drive and the new drive, and the new stuff will be on the PC and the new drive. I have a few things on the cloud as well, but pictures and music are only in hard drives.

Thanks for your help.